Corona virus, Port and the AFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

And just on this I know there are kids turning up to school everyday with one of their parents who feel no shame in telling us that they are working from home. What??
Pro tip people if you don’t have to leave home for work anymore then don’t send your kids to school and don’t shop on weekends. It really isn’t that hard Not to be a selfish git

If the kids are old enough to supervise themselves, sure.

And just on this I know there are kids turning up to school everyday with one of their parents who feel no shame in telling us that they are working from home. What??
Pro tip people if you don’t have to leave home for work anymore then don’t send your kids to school and don’t shop on weekends. It really isn’t that hard Not to be a selfish git
Both my wife and I are working from home at the moment and my teenage daughter refuses to stay at home and insists on going to school. Her point is that if it was really dangerous the government would've closed schools by now. Hard to argue that point. So please don't blame the parents but the government that should've closed the schools weeks ago.

Last edited:
Professor Scott Galloway always an interesting read and podcast.

I interviewed Professor Jonathan Haidt yesterday on the Prof G podcast. Professor Haidt, as he does, made several interesting points on the state of play concerning what is going on with … us.

Both my wife and I are working from home at the moment and my teenage daughter refuses to stay at home and insist on going to school. Her point is that if it was really dangerous the government would've closed schools by now. Hard to argue that point. So please don't blame the parents but the government that should've closed the schools weeks ago.

"If it was that dangerous why would the AFL have gone ahead with round 1?"

Both my wife and I are working from home at the moment and my teenage daughter refuses to stay at home and insist on going to school. Her point is that if it was really dangerous the government would've closed schools by now. Hard to argue that point. So please don't blame the parents but the government that should've closed the schools weeks ago.

If you’re already of the opinion that the government hasn’t made the right call here then isn’t the point an easy one to argue?

No actually with tweens and teenagers I get it. They think they will die if they are not with their own kind FFS

I'd cop it on the chin if it was even the children of people working from home. I can tell you that in the classes at my school a good chunk of the kids we have attending are the children of people that are unemployed, and have been unemployed for years. We are 100% being used as a babysitting service by lazy parents who aren't getting it, and every day the government and Department for Education send out messages that say "schools are still open", "no child will be turned away", etc, so these kids continue to show up.

That being said, I work in special education, our whole section has about 35 kids and on Friday we had 8 total, so it is slowly sinking in. I'm pretty certain my class, which has 10, should have no more than 1 or 2, and possibly 0, students there tomorrow. But that took me pretty much outright saying to parents, multiple times, to keep them home (which I shouldn't be doing but * it, wishy washy Scomo and his mates aren't getting the message across).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What i have not been able to find out is why we cannot make the COVID-19 test kits in Australia. They are made in China, Vietnam, Russia etc. Why not Australia? Are they made under licence?

Too busy making toilet paper to satisfy our seemingly new found insatiable appetite for the stuff - about the only thing left we manufacture in Australia.

Not sure where to put this

:)

I’m not advocating for complete shutdown of schools. I realise kids of essential services have to go somewhere. Any data on countries where there is total school closure NZ , Italy, UK about the kids of essential services employees? Where are those kids or have schools remained open for them?

In the UK schools are closed to all but the children of essential services employees. From the vision I have seen classes are small, probably 10 to15 students per class and all are well spaced out. It looked to be pretty well organised but then again that might have been staged for the cameras.

Just checking, is your daughter MaxPowa?

Last edited:
Dr Norman Swan an ABC is not convinced a vaccine will be found because of the nature of the virus.

His approach is lock everything down for a short period until new cases are not happening or close enough.

Then let people resume their lives and test like crazy every time a new case appears. Identify source and contacts and isolate those individuals.

This basically means we live with the virus.

Like we did in the time of polio. Wonderful.

The Barossa COVID-19 cluster has now grown to 34 positive tests. Mainly US and Swiss tourists.

Barossa Valley schools and Child Care Centres closed. This is to discourage travel in the area.

The towns of Tanunda, Nuriootpa, Angaston, Williamstown and Lyndoch have been identified as area of concern by SA Health.

Marion Holiday Park converted to accommodate COVID-19 cases from Flinders Medical Centre. The question is will this be patrolled by the ADF and Police to prevent relatives from entering?

NSW woman arrested for speeding through a border road block and coughing on Police when she was stopped with road spikes. Police found an open slab of beer and a couple of knives in the ute. She has been fined $1060 and refused bail. Silly cow.

Just checking, is your daughter MaxPowa?

+12 today in SA, 340 for Aus with the Tas and NT numbers still to come and we are testing more than ever.

Perhaps rewind to the posts from a week ago and some of the hysteria that was being posted on this forum and me saying people should calm down, we have one of the world's best testing regimes and highest per capita, test track and trace will work, the numbers won't be like Italy etc. Now look at the growth trends for the last 5 days.

Early days I know but hopefully it will be enough for some people on this forum to see the likelihood of us becoming Italy is decreasing every day and stricter lockdowns are not necessary nation wide.

+12 today in SA, 340 for Aus with the Tas and NT numbers still to come and we are testing more than ever.

Perhaps rewind to the posts from a week ago and some of the hysteria that was being posted on this forum and me saying people should calm down, we have one of the world's best testing regimes and highest per capita, test track and trace will work, the numbers won't be like Italy etc. Now look at the growth trends for the last 5 days.

Early days I know but hopefully it will be enough for some people on this forum to see the likelihood of us becoming Italy is decreasing every day and stricter lockdowns are not necessary nation wide.
Let's hope you're right. Hopefully we aren't just a ticking time bomb with winter on the horizon.

The Barossa COVID-19 cluster has now grown to 34 positive tests. Mainly US and Swiss tourists.

Barossa Valley schools and Child Care Centres closed. This is to discourage travel in the area.

The towns of Tanunda, Nuriootpa, Angaston, Williamstown and Lyndoch have been identified as area of concern by SA Health.

Marion Holiday Park converted to accommodate COVID-19 cases from Flinders Medical Centre. The question is will this be patrolled by the ADF and Police to prevent relatives from entering?

NSW woman arrested for speeding through a border road block and coughing on Police when she was stopped with road spikes. Police found an open slab of beer and a couple of knives in the ute. She has been fined $1060 and refused bail. Silly cow.
Sadly people like that are unlikely to be deterred by a fine. Refusing bail is a start, but presumably that'll be approved once it gets to a magistrate. We perhaps need to extend the anti-terrorism laws to this kind of behaviour - it's putting the community at risk from a deliberate act of civil disobedience, just as terrorism is :(.

Abuse of Police ought to be a mandatory custodial sentence. I suppose there's not enough room.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back