Corona virus, Port and the AFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
+12 today in SA, 340 for Aus with the Tas and NT numbers still to come and we are testing more than ever.

Perhaps rewind to the posts from a week ago and some of the hysteria that was being posted on this forum and me saying people should calm down, we have one of the world's best testing regimes and highest per capita, test track and trace will work, the numbers won't be like Italy etc. Now look at the growth trends for the last 5 days.

Early days I know but hopefully it will be enough for some people on this forum to see the likelihood of us becoming Italy is decreasing every day and stricter lockdowns are not necessary nation wide.

Rewind to posts from a week ago and we have you saying that the entire world is overreacting to something that has only killed 13,000 people. Seven days later and we’re up 240% to 31,000 deaths. At what point does a self-proclaimed empath consider this to be a problem?

Rewind to posts from a week ago and we have you saying that the entire world is overreacting to something that has only killed 13,000 people. Seven days later and we’re up 240% to 31,000 deaths. At what point does a self-proclaimed empath consider this to be a problem?
As tragic as 31,000 deaths are on a global scale it's not significant. Was referring to Australia there anyway.

That’s a bit of a hard one though because working from home is still working. It is very hard to supervise kids, potentially home school then and still get your job done at the same time.
Oh puhleez. I’m pretty sure you are not on yard duty at lunchtime and can spend that time shopping.
Actually most people I’m fairly sure have more free minutes At home than they normally do onsite

As tragic as 31,000 deaths are on a global scale it's not significant. Was referring to Australia there anyway.

No you weren’t.

“This has the possibility to be the biggest collective misscalcualtion in human history, since Europe unecessarily stumbled into WW1.”

Answer my question. Actually on second thought don’t bother. Just stay safe and do your best for others to do the same.

The link below refers to the situation two weeks ago when over 300 Australian doctors were warning that Australia could be another Italy if the Government didn't act. They were right because Morrison finally acted and we look to have avoided the 10,000 cases by April 04 scenario.

The video from Dr Norman Swan is informative as he touches on herd immunity, flattening the curve and the difference between quarantine and self isolation. It is interesting that he refers to the UK's early attempt at herd immunity.

The Barossa COVID-19 cluster has now grown to 34 positive tests. Mainly US and Swiss tourists.

Barossa Valley schools and Child Care Centres closed. This is to discourage travel in the area.

The towns of Tanunda, Nuriootpa, Angaston, Williamstown and Lyndoch have been identified as area of concern by SA Health.

Marion Holiday Park converted to accommodate COVID-19 cases from Flinders Medical Centre. The question is will this be patrolled by the ADF and Police to prevent relatives from entering?

NSW woman arrested for speeding through a border road block and coughing on Police when she was stopped with road spikes. Police found an open slab of beer and a couple of knives in the ute. She has been fined $1060 and refused bail. Silly cow.

You need to dig deeper into that article. The group of Swiss tourists are already back in Switzerland and the Americans which number 12 cases are already removed and in isolation in Adelaide. Only two cases are from the Barossa (the Lyndoch Hill Winery).

No you weren’t.

“This has the possibility to be the biggest collective misscalcualtion in human history, since Europe unecessarily stumbled into WW1.”

Answer my question. Actually on second thought don’t bother. Just stay safe and do your best for others to do the same.

Still stand by that. The virus itself will not be the issue (as we are seeing here) the actions to combat it and the destabilisation to global supply chains, growing isolationism, and up ending of the current international order will be the real story.

Give it 6-12 months and see what we are talking about (maybe less).

BREAKING: Teenage girl thinks she knows everything

“When I was a boy of 14, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be 21, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in seven years.”

--Mark Twain

Both my wife and I are working from home at the moment and my teenage daughter refuses to stay at home and insist on going to school. Her point is that if it was really dangerous the government would've closed schools by now. Hard to argue that point. So please don't blame the parents but the government that should've closed the schools weeks ago.

It is sweet that she came up with a reason rather than tell you the sad truth that all teenagers hate their parents and would rather eat their own heads than spend time with them. ;)

BREAKING: Teenage girl thinks she knows everything

See above :p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You need to dig deeper into that article. The group of Swiss tourists are already back in Switzerland and the Americans which number 12 cases are already removed and in isolation in Adelaide. Only two cases are from the Barossa (the Lyndoch Hill Winery).

Two of those Americans legged it from isolation and flew home.

Still stand by that. The virus itself will not be the issue (as we are seeing here) the actions to combat it and the destabilisation to global supply chains, growing isolationism, and up ending of the current international order will be the real story.

Actually think in Australia it wont be that bad. Europe will be reasonably bad, their lack of border controls is a huge issue. America will get bad. Their numbers already look bad. Will be interesting to see if it gets to LA riots/Hurricane Katrina levels. There could seriously be blood on the streets there. Third world is also a concern if it causes more geopolitical issues. This still has a bit to play out, but honestly, I'd rather be in Australia than just about anywhere else. We can get back up and running quicker than most.

Why is it a worry to you?

Not it Karratha, family is in Adelaide. Likely to not see either them or my partner for an long indefinite period - need to be up here to help the only piston in the engine that is Australia's economy going and protect my livelihood. Not being there probably makes me worry about them more.

Yes we all know there will be flow on effects. You’re not being clever in any way by pointing them out as they are obvious and will need to be managed as best we can. You’re also ignoring (or perhaps unfazed by) a death rate that would be many times higher than it already is if the world did next to nothing instead.

This is a perfect example of the monkeysphere at work. Some people just won’t get it unless there’s a body on their doorstep.

Actually think in Australia it wont be that bad. Europe will be reasonably bad, their lack of border controls is a huge issue. America will get bad. Their numbers already look bad. Will be interesting to see if it gets to LA riots/Hurricane Katrina levels. There could seriously be blood on the streets there. Third world is also a concern if it causes more geopolitical issues. This still has a bit to play out, but honestly, I'd rather be in Australia than just about anywhere else. We can get back up and running quicker than most.

My ex works for the UN world food program in Rome (still friendly) they are scrambling to convince counties not to hoard food or stop transit of food/ livestock to ports.

Those hoarders who are buying 2x of what they need (buying for a country of 50m not 25m) aren't only inconveniencing other Australians but potentially impacting exports. Now imagine every country right now is doing the same or worse.

There are a dozen or so sub-saharan African countries, for example, that are weeks away from running out of a necesaary level of food supply without intervention.

Not it Karratha, family is in Adelaide. Likely to not see either them or my partner for an long indefinite period - need to be up here to help the only piston in the engine that is Australia's economy going and protect my livelihood. Not being there probably makes me worry about them more.

Doesn't appear that winter is relevant to your concern.

I watched ScoMo's presser this evening and the medico there basically backed this up. We're seeing some fruit from our efforts, the main concern now is transmission in the community as we have effectively turned off the tap with overseas returns.

We went harder and earlier at it than much of Europe and US. I think they were also farther along in terms of infection spread so we have the benefit of catching it earlier. I doubt the US or anywhere will be as bad as Italy - it turns out that Italy has been experiencing unusually high numbers of flu deaths among the elderly the past few winters, more so than the rest of Europe so it's not surprising that COVID-19 has had such a devastating impact there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back