Corona virus, Port and the AFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
USA will overtake Italy for deaths in about a week I reckon. Just by sheer volume of cases and Italy is slowing down while the US keeps accelerating

The thing I find interesting about US numbers is the amount of cases in New York alone i.e 96,000 of the 236000 cases.

Many of the conspiracy guys are reporting research showing many NY hospitals with very few cases.

The NY mayor is a very vocal opposition to trump and I have watched main stream media where he is slamming trump on the shortage of ventators, yet Ive seen on the web where he is caught red handed in a warehouse of ventilators not sent to hospitals, his answer is "well we don't need them yet, but we will way more than we have"

I'm not a conspiracy cracker but New York doesn't add up

On the topic of Italy, yesterday marked:
1. Four straight days with >1000 recovered
2. A new high water mark in terms of the amount of testing they did (and a new low in positive results)
3. Five straight days with a less than 100 case increase in ICU, and a new low increase in hospital numbers.

This is what the hospital strain looks like under the two week sample:
View attachment 851474

Things turn very slowly. This is what the death count looks like for these full two weeks. Just a straight linear increase.

View attachment 851475
Thatt icu graph suggests to me a s**t load of people died without even making it to icu.

Last edited:
Berejiklian blaming the Feds and Princess Cruise Line for the Ruby Princess debacle. 'The best advice I have received is that our Authorities here in NSW followed all existing protocols'. Berejiklian went on to say 'I do not want to play a blame game', and that she has, 'asked the NSW Police Commissioner to investigate the matter.' The enquiry is to focus on the information provided to the Port Authority by the Captain and Operators of the Ruby Princess prior to docking.

So we are going to have the NSW authorities investigating themselves. Do I smell a cover up coming?
Of course she doesn't want to play the blame game. She's already passed that buck elsewhere. Game Over.

This isn't bloody Space Invaders, Gladys, this is people's lives. Take the hit, get on with doing your job and protect your constituents.

I know I've said this before but the management we had during the bushfires was just so much more professional and effective, simply because it wasn't left to politicians, but Emergency Services chiefs who've all had a lifetime of experience doing just that.

As I'm seeing this now, anyone over 40 needs to have a good hard think about what they do that affects their immunity.

- If you don't get enough sleep - fix that
- If you smoke - stop - today
- If you drink - stop if possible but reduce to the absolute minimum
- If you have stress - work out what constructive ways work for you to minimise it

We have a couple of weeks, possibly months before this hits a peak here, do whatever you can to build up your immunological defences.
There's no excuses, most of us have enough time now to take steps that will improve ours and our families situation.

Be one of the people that doesn't need to be admitted to hospital.
Great post, well said. Can I add too another effective strategy is to go for a walk for half an hour or so a day, trying to get your heart rate up if you can (eg uphill or faster pace). I'm lucky I can do that without seeing another person but this is obviously harder in inner cities. Try going early in the morning ;)

Yhst icu graph suggest's to me a s**t load off people died without even making it to icu.

Just watching an interview with a friend of a doctor who died in New York. He contracted the virus at work, was quarantining at home with his partner, in regular contact with his friend.

He felt fine every day, then the next day his partner rang to tell the friend his breathing was really laboured. An ambulance was called and by the time they arrived he was all but gone. They tried to revive him but he never even made it out of his home.

Scary, sad stuff.

Technocrats are always surprised when facing governments incompetence. "If only power was given to us, that wouldn't happen" is their common reaction.

Usually, they also argue to be liberal democratic at heart. They don't see the contradiction at all.
She's a journo not a technocrat. Plus they were never going to make a movie where there wasn't a hero and the problem solved and finish the movie with things lingering.

She's a journo not a technocrat. Plus they were never going to make a movie where there wasn't a hero and the problem solved and finish the movie with things lingering.
With that CV of hers, she may not be a technocrat, but she probably thinks like one. She sounds like one, imho.

She is a member of the Technocratic Party, then.

As I'm seeing this now, anyone over 40 needs to have a good hard think about what they do that affects their immunity.

- If you don't get enough sleep - fix that
- If you smoke - stop - today
- If you drink - stop if possible but reduce to the absolute minimum
- If you have stress - work out what constructive ways work for you to minimise it

We have a couple of weeks, possibly months before this hits a peak here, do whatever you can to build up your immunological defences.
There's no excuses, most of us have enough time now to take steps that will improve ours and our families situation.

Be one of the people that doesn't need to be admitted to hospital.

Three very much helps me with four.

Iggy Pop, Keith Richards and Cockroaches.

If you are not one of these things you are ****ed.

Iggy Pop is smoking Covid-19 and Keith Richards is injecting it. The Cockroaches ain't getting a look in.

Anyone have any info about the possibility that there are 2 strains of covid 19 a mild form and a bad one?. I have a customer who is telling me that the Americans and europeans have been swamped with the bad strain and asia/Oceania mainly have a mild strain? My knowledge on all this is limited I can't seem to find any info of different types of strains.

Italy has accepted a lot of help from China.

I heard someone (Peter Jess I think) saying that when Silvio Berlusconi was Italian PM he gave the nod to a 'guest worker' arrangement for Chinese workers to come in to the Italian textiles industry (probably on very low wages) and these people could come and go without the usual immigration/visa provisions. The explosion in coronavirus numbers in Italy may have coincided with these Chinese workers coming back from their New Year holidays.

Anyone have any info about the possibility that there are 2 strains of covid 19 a mild form and a bad one?. I have a customer who is telling me that the Americans and europeans have been swamped with the bad strain and asia/Oceania mainly have a mild strain? My knowledge on all this is limited I can't seem to find any info of different types of strains.
A good friend of mine just told me yesterday that his sister and her husband had covid. Her symptoms were mild, but his weren't. They are both fine, but his brother-in-law needed to be hospitalized and treated. Both are under 40. He is a P.E. teacher.

I don't know if this two-virus hypothesis is true.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bloody hell, France 1355 deaths in a day, Spain 961...gone from 7000 to 52000 worldwide deaths in just a fortnight. With that number steadily rising each day...
Australia's numbers creeping up while the gov and media here are trying to play it down.. We should be doing more. We are setting ourselves up for a devestating few months ahead...

The thing I find interesting about US numbers is the amount of cases in New York alone i.e 96,000 of the 236000 cases.

Many of the conspiracy guys are reporting research showing many NY hospitals with very few cases.

The NY mayor is a very vocal opposition to trump and I have watched main stream media where he is slamming trump on the shortage of ventators, yet Ive seen on the web where he is caught red handed in a warehouse of ventilators not sent to hospitals, his answer is "well we don't need them yet, but we will way more than we have"

None of it does. I don't trust any figures coming out of anywhere.

There are at least 8 different strains worldwide and current data suggests they're all fundamentally similar in structure and in how they affect humans symptomatically.

All figures, everywhere on the planet, should come with a grain on salt.

But the kind of conspiracy evidence you're giving sounds scarily similar to the extreme right-wing propaganda that Trump likes to endorse. Be wary of any information that paints Trump, possibly the literal antichrist, in a positive light.

Yhst icu graph suggest's to me a s**t load off people died without even making it to icu.

Yes, which is exactly what you would expect in an overloaded system. People who need to be in ICU to survive are instead dying in hospital beds and at home because the capacity isn't there.

It's worth noting we can't see where people are going as we don't have individual case numbers, so we can't see what % are dying in ICU.

As an example, if we break down the numbers, yesterday we saw:
Deaths Increase by 760 = Could be 200 died in ICU, 510 in hospital, and 50 outside of hospital
ICU Increase by 18 = Could be 200 died, 100 of the new cases came in to ICU, and 118 moved from hospital to ICU (100 + 118 - 200 = 18)
Hospital Increase by 137 = Could be 2000 new cases to hospital, 500 in self isolation to hospital, 510 died in hospital, 118 moved from hospital to ICU, 1735 from hospital to self isolation (2000 + 500 - 510 - 118 - 1735 = 137)

My expectation is that the hospital new daily cases rate will decrease faster and more steeply than ICU as we need the ICU beds to stop being in overload; ie for every person that leaves an ICU bed, there are likely still a long line of people who need to take it. It's only once the ICU beds stop being in overload that we are likely to see a decrease in the death rate.

There is mitigation to the new daily hospital cases as well though, as currently there are people in self isolation at home that should be in a hospital bed also.

I heard someone (Peter Jess I think) saying that when Silvio Berlusconi was Italian PM he gave the nod to a 'guest worker' arrangement for Chinese workers to come in to the Italian textiles industry (probably on very low wages) and these people could come and go without the usual immigration/visa provisions. The explosion in coronavirus numbers in Italy may have coincided with these Chinese workers coming back from their New Year holidays.

Yeah it seems that Italy was a perfect storm.

1. Vulnerable demographic and social set up
2. Chinese workers returning from CNY
3. A mild flu season and winter
4. Milan fashion week

Appears to be a lot of criticism being leveled at western governments (USA, Europe, Australia) for their handling of this crisis - some justifiably so. However the bulk of scrutiny and criticism I believe needs to be leveled squarely at China AND the World Health Organization (WHO). Everyone knows that the Chinese government lied, misrepresented, misled and deceived the rest of the world regarding this virus - the incompetence lays however in why ANYONE believed them - if we learn NOTHING else from this experience we need to learn this lesson. A leopard doesn't change its spots - China would like you to believe they are a tiger but in this respect they're a leopard.

We should have known better with respect to what China was telling the world. The greater travesty is the sheer incompetence, negligence and probable corruption of the WHO. Many countries rely on the recommendations and advice of the WHO who it now appears were/are merely acting as puppet of the Chinese Communist Party in propagating the false narrative of the Chinese government. The spotlight of accountability needs to be squarely focused on the Director General of the WHO - Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus for this dereliction of duty.

Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus

If there's one person who deserves to be fired into the sun from a cannon for this it's that guy. He also covered up outbreaks in Africa before he became the head of WHO so how the * did he get the gig in the first place.

Appears to be a lot of criticism being leveled at western governments (USA, Europe, Australia) for their handling of this crisis - some justifiably so. However the bulk of scrutiny and criticism I believe needs to be leveled squarely at China AND the World Health Organization (WHO). Everyone knows that the Chinese government lied, misrepresented, misled and deceived the rest of the world regarding this virus - the incompetence lays however in why ANYONE believed them - if we learn NOTHING else from this experience we need to learn this lesson. A leopard doesn't change its spots - China would like you to believe they are a tiger but in this respect they're a leopard.

We should have known better with respect to what China was telling the world. The greater travesty is the sheer incompetence, negligence and probable corruption of the WHO. Many countries rely on the recommendations and advice of the WHO who it now appears were/are merely acting as puppet of the Chinese Communist Party in propagating the false narrative of the Chinese government. The spotlight of accountability needs to be squarely focused on the Director General of the WHO - Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus for this dereliction of duty.

The pile on is starting. The rhetoric is starting. Will only get worse as the US gets worse. The Geopolitics of this will be fascinating and terrifying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back