Corona virus, Port and the AFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seriously? Alcohol doesn't cause others deaths? Let alone the violence the crime the abuse.

And You're correct THIS IS ABOUT WHAT WE have to do, to prevent death. The standard we set ourselves.

It's not about it being contagious its about preventable deaths...and a standard we are all adhering to TO PREVENT DEATH.

If you ask me to stay home lock myself up in order to prevent the spread of the virus I am ok with that. Fine by me. To prevent death

But the minute I suggest we should look at the standards we set ourselves in relation to alcohol TO PREVENT DEATH, y'all lose your freaking minds.

Facts are there are 100k preventable deaths in that same 12 day period of 40k corona related deaths. You don't see an issue with standards we set ourselves between the two?

This is has nothing to do with my point.irrelivant.

The other difference is that coronavirus can theoretically be eradicated. If we all behave ourselves for the next 12-18 months, it can be gone forever and we can all go back to normal lives. Alcoholism doesn't work like that. You can't eradicate alcohol related deaths forever just by having a year of prohibition. As soon as you lifted the restrictions it would just come back as bad as ever.

Seriously? Alcohol doesn't cause others deaths? Let alone the violence the crime the abuse.

And You're correct THIS IS ABOUT WHAT WE have to do, to prevent death. The standard we set ourselves.

It's not about it being contagious its about preventable deaths...and a standard we are all adhering to TO PREVENT DEATH.

If you ask me to stay home lock myself up in order to prevent the spread of the virus I am ok with that. Fine by me. To prevent death

But the minute I suggest we should look at the standards we set ourselves in relation to alcohol TO PREVENT DEATH, y'all lose your freaking minds.

Facts are there are 100k preventable deaths in that same 12 day period of 40k corona related deaths. You don't see an issue with standards we set ourselves between the two?

This is has nothing to do with my point.irrelivant.
You’re not quite grasping the flaw in your comparison. Drinking alcohol is a choice. No one’s licking baggage handlers so that they can get the Coronavirus.

The ones who voted for Trump are also the ones who genuinely believe and spread that China and the Democrats released this virus and caused the shutdown of the world economy and the deaths of hundreds of thousands of people intentionally just to make Trump look bad in an election year. Even Trump himself referred to it as a 'Democrat hoax' in the early days. These same people who cry about 'fake news'. They're not right in the head.

Actually, what your referring to Shulzy is from a campaign rally in South Carolina on 28 February where he likened the Democrats criticism of his administrations response to the epidemic as "their new hoax". He DID NOT refer to the virus itself as a 'Democrat hoax' as some have attempted to claim. Bear in mind at the time the Democrats were vehemently criticizing his action of restricting travel from China (which was in direct opposition to advice from the experts at the World Health Organization) as racist and xenophobic. There's plenty to criticize and ridicule the President over but this isn't one of them.

Actually, what your referring to Shulzy is from a campaign rally in South Carolina on 28 February where he likened the Democrats criticism of his administrations response to the epidemic as "their new hoax". He DID NOT refer to the virus itself as a 'Democrat hoax' as some have attempted to claim. Bear in mind at the time the Democrats were vehemently criticizing his action of restricting travel from China (which was in direct opposition to advice from the experts at the World Health Organization) as racist and xenophobic. There's plenty to criticize and ridicule the President over but this isn't one of them.

Noted. I'll accept that I was wrong about that.

But the same article also says this:

D91D5494-234B-4541-AB11-6F28E15A9274.jpeg

So even if he didn't use the exact words 'Democrat hoax', he did downplay it. And that was a hugely dangerous thing for a President to do, especially for a cult of personality type like Trump.

Not a single person in this thread said we would be "Italy in two weeks"

What was said was, if we didn't introduce tougher restrictions then this had the potential to get much worse.

You took issue with the tougher restrictions, saying they outweighed the benefit, but are now claiming some intellectual victory on calling the low results, which have been a direct result of the tough restrictions put in place. The same restrictions you refer to above as 'draconian'.

I dunno pafc66 probably said we were gonna be Italy in 2 weeks at some point

You’re not quite grasping the flaw in your comparison. Drinking alcohol is a choice. No one’s licking baggage handlers so that they can get the Coronavirus.
You're not quite grasping it.... preventable deaths is the equivalent here.

You're telling me basically that you're willing to give up your freedoms to prevent deaths I get it. I am too.

But then your also telling you not willing to adhere to stricter rules to stop/ decrease PREVENTABLE deaths from alcohol.....

I am just suggesting if we are willing to set a strict standards for ourselves with the virus maybe we can apply it to other aspects of our life we take for granted. ( This doesn't mean a total ban on alcohol)

I wish Channel SEVEN would stop using phrases like, 'Before the virus onslaught'.
Why watch the tripe? Just pay attention to what's going on everywhere in the world, dont need shitty newspapers or news services for that.

The whole reporting on this here is laughable

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As I'm seeing this now, anyone over 40 needs to have a good hard think about what they do that affects their immunity.

- If you don't get enough sleep - fix that
- If you smoke - stop - today
- If you drink - stop if possible but reduce to the absolute minimum
- If you have stress - work out what constructive ways work for you to minimise it

We have a couple of weeks, possibly months before this hits a peak here, do whatever you can to build up your immunological defences.
There's no excuses, most of us have enough time now to take steps that will improve ours and our families situation.

Be one of the people that doesn't need to be admitted to hospital.

This advice is well intended I know.

However. Firstly, I am not sure what positive impact addressing all those issues immediately would have on somebody's immune system in a couple of months. Addressing one's diet and increasing the amount of exercise we get in addition to the suggested changes above won't hurt. I'm sure it would have a positive impact.

Secondly, and mostly importantly, telling somebody to just get enough sleep, and constructively minimize stress are generally not things you can change Dr. Phil style in a couple of months, particularly for those who do suffer from diagnosed insomnia and anxiety.

I could go on at length about how anxiety and insomnia are often impacted upon negatively by sudden changes in lifestyle, which most people are experiencing more right now, than at any time in their recent history. Also, implementing sound sleep hygiene practices and making stress management techniques an integral part of your lifestyle take time. For many, suggesting that they make these changes post haste is like telling an anxious person to 'Relax! Right now!' or a depressed person to 'Just toughen up'.

By all means, do everything you can to make sure you are as healthy as possible for the foreseeable future. By all means do what you can to get adequate rest and relaxation. Even moderate exercise and a decent multivitamin pill plus a healthy diet will do as much to help you here as anything. But getting stressed out because you cannot reduce drinking, sleep more, stress less and stop smoking is plainly paradoxical

Practice good hygiene and social distancing are two of the things you can improve quickly. Improving your immune system through lifestyle changes is something that probably needs to be addressed more gradually, at a pace that is comfortable to you, and is overseen by your gp or a health professional.

Try and take a brisk walk each day, take in what we have to be thankful for in this country is just as likely to positively impact your immune system as anything. Eat as well rounded a diet as possible and don't panic over your toilet paper supply.

Then by definition, she's not an expert. Journalists are trained to simplify very complex systems without the need to understand them. Often, most of the nuance and context is lost in this process which is why the current level of investigative journalism is trash.

She is an expert at being on the ground and watching Ebola, avian flu, SARS spread and seeing populations get sick and watching the body bags mount up, not in the lab analysing stuff under a microscope and how it works in a lab and trying to find to find a vaccine like those experts. You need both kinds.

Why single out Trump when it has been established that China downplayed the severity of the outbreak and influenced the WHO to provide false information. Governments from all around the world had a terrible response to the outbreak because the early information was compromised by China.

She didn't single out Trump. She said Xi is to blame for covering up, and letting 5 million people from Wuhan leave to travel around the world. She said 95% of the problems could have been stopped by him not letting it get out of Wuhan.

Then she said Trump. Why? Because she is an American, she lives in New York and she is watching hundreds and now thousands of New Yorkers die as well as fellow countrymen and women in other cities.

Do you reckon if she was an Italian, she would have talked about the American government or the Italian government?

She blamed Trump for giving Xi a free pass when US government experts were warning him the Chinese can't be trusted and should get tough now.

He tweeted on 24th of January - China has been working very hard to contain the Coronavirus. The United States greatly appreciates their efforts and transparency. It will all work out well. In particular, on behalf of the American People, I want to thank President Xi!

Do you want to thank President Xi for his actions Forza??

Did the italian or German or Spanish leaders say that? Do you believe what Trump said and that Xi was transparent, doing a good job and it will all work out well?

Government bureaucracies suffer incompetence on a scale that can't be appreciated unless you have worked in the system. It doesn't matter which political party is in charge.

No I have never worked for government and probably why I have spent my professional life avoiding the situation.

At this point she's basically an anti-Trump hack. If there's evidence of Trump ignoring expert advice, withholding resources or similar, I'd like to see it.
What a stupid thing to say.

See, read and think about what Trump tweeted in January. His own intelligence officers gave him a warning about China. But Trump has proved he would rather trust guys like Putin, than his own intelligence officers, the ones that had to try and protect the US against 40,000 nuclear weapons being fired at them over the decades.

But Australia doesn't have the American government so why would we get it bad? (Her own logic).

No we don't have their government, but she never said that. She said - you haven't faced the brunt end of it yet. And she is right on that.

Are you trying to say we aren't America so we have already seen the blunt end of it here in Australia?? We will face the brunt end of this in winter Juy and August like she said. Unless someone finds a vaccine before then.

Germany - a nation of federated states like Australia, with all the issues of national and state government cooperation, they had a slow progression of only 2 deaths a day for almost 2 weeks or so like Oz, they have high testing regime like Oz, they have a high standard of healthcare system both technical expertise and access to that expertize like Oz. But they jumped to 20 deaths a day for several days, and have been 150+ a day for 3 or 4 days now and all next week will probably be 200 a day for the week. I hope not, but I fear so.

That isn't France's 1,300 a day or Italy's 900 a day or Spain's 800 a day or American's 900 a day but its still pretty brunt.

As tragic as it is to the individual and their families, 20 deaths a day would be a very favourable result for our nation to be the brunt end of it in July and August. But I fear it will be a lot closer to 200 a day in July and August - at the brunt end in the height of winter.

This could well be the beginning of the end of China being the world's manufacturing hub.

The US and likely other developed economies will repatriate at least the more critical pharmaceuticals and health related products

Global manufacturing and JIT manufacturing will change for the next 20 or 30 years until we forget as a society. There will be a pre 1990 end of cold war mentality and governments will make decisions with a national security/defence interest in place and tell people they have to be prepared to pay more for stuff because it will be manufactured in home markets. I reckon tariffs and other biosecurity and regulations will make a comeback and free trade wont be so free anymore.

Last edited:
According to Berejiklian this morning the NSW Government has something similar up and running. She was talking about hundreds of small manufacturers coming on board but I didn't catch it all. In SA we have seen Detmold switching from fast food packaging to making 140 million surgical masks. We have also seen a couple of distilleries switch to making alcohol based hand sanitiser.

The thing we really need to manufacture in this country, if we can, are test kits.

It has been terrific to see manufacturers reworking their business model to provide essential equipment. Then there are the people coming up with creative solutions.

The Italian hospital turning scuba masks into ventilators is my personal favourite.

I dunno pafc66 probably said we were gonna be Italy in 2 weeks at some point

Caveat: I don't count any that I may have on ignore.

You're not quite grasping it.... preventable deaths is the equivalent here.

You're telling me basically that you're willing to give up your freedoms to prevent deaths I get it. I am too.

But then your also telling you not willing to adhere to stricter rules to stop/ decrease PREVENTABLE deaths from alcohol.....

I am just suggesting if we are willing to set a strict standards for ourselves with the virus maybe we can apply it to other aspects of our life we take for granted. ( This doesn't mean a total ban on alcohol)

Yes but do you know how many fish die every day from trawling and pollution? These are PREVENTABLE deaths. Don’t you care about fish?

If there's evidence of Trump ignoring expert advice, withholding resources or similar, I'd like to see it.

Whatever I agreed with in your post was offset by this single statement. It would be quicker to list the things Trump has actually done right in terms of respecting the science and the experts, and the proper allocation of resources. Are you actually being serious here?

Official Dept of Health positives tests at 3.00pm is 5320.

That is an increase of 217 on yesterday.

That is pretty good and must be the lowest national increase for a while.

I have been keeping some figures and on 28/3 Australia had a total of 3635 positives which was an increase of 14.81% on the previous day. If we had kept increasing by that % we would have 9500 positives by now.

We are flattening the curve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back