Corona virus, Port and the AFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This New York State website gives plenty of good data which has links to breakdown by counties on bottom right hand side.

But scary thing is their daily test rates have been round 40% positive cases. Its irrelevant who they are testing compared to other cities and places around US or world because a 40% test rate still leads to an X% have to go into the hospital and that produces Y number of deaths out of that pool. Its a bloody terrible situation and they probably have 2 more weeks of 100+ deaths a day.

4th of April in whole state 18,659 tests, 8,327 positives 44.6%

302, 280 tests in the whole state 122,031 positive 40.4%
132,466 in the 5 boroughs that make up NYC. 67,551 or 51.0% tested positive, 3,048 deaths of total 4159 deaths

Nassau County is part of the rest of NY State stats but that county is on Long Island next to Queens and they have had 31,860 tests 14,398 positives 45.2% and 465 deaths.

169,814 tests in rest of NY State inc Nassau County for 54,480 positives 32.1% and 1,111 deaths.

View attachment 853457
That is so scary for New York. Almost 1 in every 2 tested have it.....

I spoke to a colleague who does work for me in Sweden and I was mean to go to Stockholm in June (obv not now). She said dont come. Nothing is shut, they are practising "responsible" social distancing, but she said its just like normal.

Crazy how some countries are dealing with it...

Still the wrong thread mate. Unless I struck a cord there? As a mod, you would've moved this to the politics thread in a second if the message had been the opposite.

Which message are you referring to? If it's anything to do with a post I have made, every single one has been a reply.

That is so scary for New York. Almost 1 in every 2 tested have it.....

I spoke to a colleague who does work for me in Sweden and I was mean to go to Stockholm in June (obv not now). She said dont come. Nothing is shut, they are practising "responsible" social distancing, but she said its just like normal.

Crazy how some countries are dealing with it...
One of my sisters lived in Sweden for 13 years before her Swedish husband passed away in early 2007. She moved back to Oz at end of 2007 and took several years getting used to living in Oz again and said its not as advanced a society in Oz re a digital society and everything being linked up and easy to process, especially government stuff.

Eventually she changed and got used to the Oz way of doing things again. 2 weeks ago she spoke to a Swedish friend here in Adelaide, who bagged what was going on back there and then she rang a friend and she confirmed that people aren't really doing a lot of lockdown stuff in Stockholm. She also found out that a lot of school kids and their parents went to Italy for holidays in February. She was angry and upset by what she heard. On the weekend she received a call from a friend that a mutual friend had died to Covid-19 and she was really upset.

Australia population 25m 5,795 cases 2,432 recovered 41 deaths
Sweden population 10.5m 7,206 cases 205 recovered 477 deaths

One of my sisters lived in Sweden for 13 years before her Swedish husband passed away in early 2007. She moved back to Oz at end of 2007 and took several years getting used to living in Oz again and said its not as advanced a society in Oz re a digital society and everything being linked up and easy to process, especially government stuff.

Eventually she changed and got used to the Oz way of doing things again. 2 weeks ago she spoke to a Swedish friend here in Adelaide, who bagged what was going on back there and then she rang a friend and she confirmed that people aren't really doing a lot of lockdown stuff in Stockholm. She also found out that a lot of school kids and their parents went to Italy for holidays in February. She was angry and upset by what she heard. On the weekend she received a call from a friend that a mutual friend had died to Covid-19 and she was really upset.

Australia population 25m 5,795 cases 2,432 recovered 41 deaths
Sweden population 10.5m 7,206 cases 205 recovered 477 deaths

Says it all hey. Frightening numbers for Sweden.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'd love to go in a no pensioners cruise. The idea of a cruise sounds great, kinda like going to football. Then it's a Camry crows game. That's a cruise, good in theory but full of apricot slice.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

This was the target for the new Virgin cruises. No kids and market the party atmosphere so the crows supporters wouldn't be interested. Not sure what will happen to it now though

Interesting that the US model being used I think has basically halved all it's forecasts now. This is on top of revising down estimate's I think on April the 1st so it will be interesting what our government wheels out today is it?

A topic for another thread, but just reading about if Australia went the herd immunity option and this has blown my mind. Here's a quote -

"This option would see more people die but Prof Blakely said if certain measures were taken to protect the vulnerable, the number of deaths could be brought down to about 30,000, which is about the same as the number who die from tobacco-related diseases each year."

Wow. I knew it was a lot, but that number is absolutely staggering. How the f is that s**t still legal? Yet if I want to enjoy a psychedelic mushroom trip maybe once a year I'm the criminal.

Speaking to my niece who lives in Sweden today and they really aren't the least bit phased by it over there, pretty blase about the whole damn thing.

Completely disregarding self-isolation and s**t. But they're pretty defensive about how they're going about it, tho. Ark up if you mention herd immunity. "That's just the international media!"

Meanwhile, my cousin got coronavirus. He's either resting up at home or hooked up to a ventilator in hospital. Just depends which dopey family member you talk to. It's probably both.

My other cousin's boss was on board the Ruby Princess. His boss got the bug, too. Must've been a mild dose coz he's apparently back at work being a complete bastard to everyone again, lol...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Speaking to my niece who lives in Sweden today and they really aren't the least bit phased by it over there, pretty blase about the whole damn thing.

Completely disregarding self-isolation and s**t. The Swedes ark up if you mention herd immunity, tho. "That's just the international media!"

376 new infections and 76 deaths in a single day, a ratio of 1 in 5. That's - how can I put it nicely? - unsustainable from the public's point of view.

Completely disregarding self-isolation and s**t. But they're pretty defensive about how they're going about it, tho. Ark up if you mention herd immunity. "That's just the international media!"

Meanwhile, my cousin got coronavirus. He's either resting up at home or hooked up to a ventilator in hospital. Just depends which dopey family member you talk to. It's probably both.

My other cousin's boss was on board the Ruby Princess. His boss got the bug, too. Must've been a mild dose coz he's apparently back at work being a complete bastard to everyone again, lol...

Is that your cousin Steve?

So being suggested Oz plan is first to get new recorded cases to zero them continue lockdown for at least another 4 weeks , keep testing, then slowly release the shackles whilst testing testing testing
as it WILL return. We can’t avoid an eventual hump as our economy can’t stay locked down forever but we are deferring it while we get our hospitals and supplies ramped up.

Just checking, is the issue with this that he changed his position on the severity and danger of the disease? Because if so that's what has happened in a lot of places, certainly what happened in NZ. Here they went from "there is a very low risk" to "stage 4 lockdown" in a similar time period.

A topic for another thread, but just reading about if Australia went the herd immunity option and this has blown my mind. Here's a quote -

"This option would see more people die but Prof Blakely said if certain measures were taken to protect the vulnerable, the number of deaths could be brought down to about 30,000, which is about the same as the number who die from tobacco-related diseases each year."

Wow. I knew it was a lot, but that number is absolutely staggering. How the f is that s**t still legal? Yet if I want to enjoy a psychedelic mushroom trip maybe once a year I'm the criminal.

Go back a few pages and you will find my views on Tony Blakely. Twelve months ago Blakely was advocating the use of vaping as a means of reducing the cost of smoking on the Australian health system. Scientific evidence has now proved that vaping is as dangerous as the real stuff and e cigarettes are close to being banned in several countries.

Blakely is a 'herd immunologist' and his solution was to watch 30,000 Australians die in an effort to build up herd immunity. Australia would be well served if Blakely ****ed off back to New Zealand. Sweden will probably be the proof in Blakely's argument one way or the other, that is if the Swedish Government holds it's nerve and doesn't bow to public pressure.

Warning signs? I'm open to be convinced. I just see the rabid hatred of Trump as wierd. I've watched it on here forever and it urks me but it seems uncool to question it. I asked a specific question and rebutted your answer. Maybe I'm not seeing things clearly, it could be true. But its true Yemen and Somalia have been ongoing since prior to trump. And I can also say that when I was in Iraq in 2004, my biggest direct threat was Iran. They have been a ticking time bomb IMO. I also believe we shouldn't even be in the region and its all about Oil. Surely that's not on trump though?

it’s Australian cool to hate Trump.

One of my biggest beefs with Trump is his efforts to kill off Obamacare. Why wouldn't you want to improve access to the health care system, especially for poorer Americans. The US is an exception to the rule when it comes to western countries. Most run universal access schemes for health.

The US has the highest per capita costs for healthcare in the world but ranks poorly on the quality of its healthcare system. Obamacare is exactly what the US needs during this health crisis.

Last edited:
So being suggested Oz plan is first to get new recorded cases to zero them continue lockdown for at least another 4 weeks , keep testing, then slowly release the shackles whilst testing testing testing
as it WILL return. We can’t avoid an eventual hump as our economy can’t stay locked down forever but we are deferring it while we get our hospitals and supplies ramped up.
Whenever they think they can ease up restrictions they should be whacking another month on top of it.

Or because there will always be morons, do what was popular at school - everyone gets an extra week every time there is a breach. That'd get people behind getting the ***holes off the streets.
I mean the way I see it regardless of getting to very low new cases for an extended period is keep very cautious you could almost make it extremely unlikely to catch until there is a vaccine, I think we'll ease up too much and let it roll at times though.

Just checking, is the issue with this that he changed his position on the severity and danger of the disease?

No, the issue is that it’s shambolic policy-on-the-run which is at no stage directed at anything other than how he thinks it will best serve his image at that particular moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back