Corona virus, Port and the AFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why are you assuming the virus situation is not better? The growth rate has dropped to 1.43% in the last few weeks. When sport stopped the rate of new infections was exponentially high at a ridiculous 22%. Its clearly evident that the measures put in place to date in terms of social distancing and various other restrictions are indeed working. Does that mean that things should just return to normal by the end of the month? No. But it does mean that we should be looking at ways to reassimilate into society over a long term period that are practical and responsible.

If a business can go back to work in a way that is practical and safe, why should they not?

Yeah I agree with you and I am monitoring the decrease in our growth rate to a factor below 1. I want businesses back up quickly for the sake of the workers and livelihoods. I just feel that it hasn't been better for long enough for a sporting league to 'cement' a date of recommence where they could be preferenced with exemptions. I can accept forward planning that is tentative. I hope that sport is not the only allowance to the return to normality. I am aware the NRL received medical and government advice but they have been advising that schools are safe.

Yeah I agree with you and I am monitoring the decrease in our growth rate to a factor below 1. I want businesses back up quickly for the sake of the workers and livelihoods. I just feel that it hasn't been better for long enough for a sporting league to 'cement' a date of recommence where they could be preferenced with exemptions. I can accept forward planning that is tentative. I hope that sport is not the only allowance to the return to normality. I am aware the NRL received medical and government advice but they have been advising that schools are safe.

They've put a date in that's still 8 weeks away. Look at the gains that have been made in the last 2 weeks or so. No reason that we won't see a stabilisation of said gains over that period to justify a return for the NRL.

Regarding schools, the simple and politically incorrect answer is that health workers in particular need a place for their kids to.be during the day, because the kids can no longer be left with their grandparents who.are at risk. Additionally, kids are not high risk for mortality when it comes to COVID-19. Sure, they can pass it on, but everyone can. Lastly, the government wants to keep schools open for kids to have a sanctuary space in which they are safe - that is, a place to get away from homes riddled with domestic violence and the like.

The NRL will be using chartered planes flying in and out on the same day of the games. They will be minimising as much risk as possible. Its not as if they're just gonna be shooting from the hip.

I think you'll find if things take a turn for the worst over the coming weeks, the NRL will just push back the recommence date. Despite saying its in stone, its still tentative. But rather they are working toward that as it stands.

I don't think sport will be the only thing to return over the next 6 weeks. We are seeing in some countries in Europe where the virus hasn't really taken hold, that they intend on slowly loosening some of the restrictions over the next month. I suspect that Australia will be somewhat similar, though this may be more on a state by state basis.

They've put a date in that's still 8 weeks away. Look at the gains that have been made in the last 2 weeks or so. No reason that we won't see a stabilisation of said gains over that period to justify a return for the NRL.

Regarding schools, the simple and politically incorrect answer is that health workers in particular need a place for their kids to.be during the day, because the kids can no longer be left with their grandparents who.are at risk. Additionally, kids are not high risk for mortality when it comes to COVID-19. Sure, they can pass it on, but everyone can. Lastly, the government wants to keep schools open for kids to have a sanctuary space in which they are safe - that is, a place to get away from homes riddled with domestic violence and the like.

The NRL will be using chartered planes flying in and out on the same day of the games. They will be minimising as much risk as possible. Its not as if they're just gonna be shooting from the hip.

I think you'll find if things take a turn for the worst over the coming weeks, the NRL will just push back the recommence date. Despite saying its in stone, its still tentative. But rather they are working toward that as it stands.

I don't think sport will be the only thing to return over the next 6 weeks. We are seeing in some countries in Europe where the virus hasn't really taken hold, that they intend on slowly loosening some of the restrictions over the next month. I suspect that Australia will be somewhat similar, though this may be more on a state by state basis.

Yes ok on most.

Re - schools
I am aware of the reasons in the SA schools remaining open but the Federal Minister of Education seems to be inconsistent with his message and journalists are assuming that there's a government order for all students to return nationwide. Regardless of the mix message from this minister I believe that his underlying desire is for all students to return after the Easter holidays.

It was reported to me that many of the parents in a particular city high school that are in the medical fieldwork were the most prompt to keep their children at home. I shutter at the federal government's simple assumptions.

I would hate to be in Sweden atm. They have 9,141 cases and 793 deaths in a population of 10.5 million.

I wonder if anyone has told the ebola expert calling the shots in Sweden there is a chance he might have got it wrong.

Yes - not looking good at this stage - but always risky to call the series on the first day of the first test

People who like to drink:

Oh no pubs are closed, guess I'll just get a carton from Dan's and drink at home

People who like to exercise:

Oh no gyms are closed, however will I be able exercise without the gym! It's not possible!

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

Ppl without home gyms/weights will find it difficult to train at home.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Ppl without home gyms/weights will find it difficult to train at home.

Yep, they will.

If only they know the world most famous bodybuilder didn't have a freely available resistance training without weights program out there.

NRL are clearly an incompetent joke.

Id consider it a silver lining if this leads to the end of all rugby.
I certainly can’t see rugby union surviving and if does it does it will the amateur and gentleman (upper class) sport it was always meant to be. Goodbye Wallabies and All Blacks for a while.
Rugby League, the brash professional game that split from Union many years ago, will also struggle, perhaps as a semi professional game just based in NSW and QLD. State of origin will still be in the mix, perhaps. One thing for sure TV networks will be saving lots of money in TV rights (this also applying to the AFL).

Last edited:
I certainly can’t see rugby union surviving and if it does it will the amateur and gentleman (upper class) sport it was always meant to be. Goodbye Wallabies and All Blacks for a while.
Rugby League, the brash professional game that split from Union many years ago, will also struggle, perhaps as a semi professional game just based in NSW and QLD. State of origin will still be in the mix, perhaps. One thing for sure TV networks will be saving lots of money in TV rights (this also applying to the AFL).
World Rugby (ie old IRFB) is cashed up. It had £200 million of cash and investments as at end of 2018 and probably added another £50 million for the 2019 World Cup but they are slow with their annual report.

Australian Brett Gosper is CEO of World Rugby - son of former Olympian and IOC member Kevin Gosper. He also has an advertising background working for large firms like Ogilvy and Mather, McCann Erickson, Havas and has worked in Oz, Germany, France, UK and USA and has a very successful record. He's been CEO of World Rugby since 2012, the last 2 World Cups have been very financially successful or both World Ruby and host organizing committees and handled Rugby returning to the Olympics and growing the 7's game.

He will make sure Oz Rugby doesn't die but it will go back to the model of the Wallabies and the national teams being the big drivers of income to prop up the grass roots again. Super Rugby will be downsized, but once a vaccine is found, international rugby will be the dominate revenue earner for the game.

Peter Fitzsimons has written an article in the SMH yesterday about a RU reset, but I have heard him talk about this several times over the last few weeks.

He says that RU in Oz has to reset and build from the grass roots up this time and not be so dependent on the professional game. Basic economics suggests it is going to happen, just how much are people prepared to get back to it is the real issue.

So where was rugby before it was so rudely interrupted?

I remember. It was a Bledisloe in the mid-1990s before the professional era, and the Wallabies were about to play the All Blacks in New Zealand. In the hour or two before kick-off, the injured John Eales was on duty as one of the "dirt trackers", flogging souvenir Wallabies T-shirts in the car park. The money raised would be added to the tour fund to be divided equally between players after the final Test, which would add a few hundred dollars to the $50 a day they were each earning on tour.

At that time, all the Wallabies had their own jobs - some with serious careers in business, law, engineering, dentistry - and the primary motivation for playing was personal pride, for national honour.

Beyond their playing commitments, each Wallaby understood that beyond playing they were expected to give back to the rugby community, to speak at end-of-season dinners for free, do kids training sessions, turn up at whatever rugby functions were happening and generally beat the rugby drum. The idea that they were not just players but ambassadors for the game was not only taken seriously, but cherished by the players.

And then it all changed with stunning rapidity.

Just over a year after flogging T-shirts for $20 – and Kiwi bucks at that – Eales signed a contract for a reputed $500,000 a year, when rugby went professional, and the game changed forever.

Or did it? But we’ll get to that

Yep, they will.

If only they know the world most famous bodybuilder didn't have a freely available resistance training without weights program out there.

I like many use gym for rehab. I’m struggling without the use of the equipment as are thousands. Not all gyms have meat heads.

World Rugby (ie old IRFB) is cashed up. It had £200 million of cash and investments as at end of 2018 and probably added another £50 million for the 2019 World Cup but they are slow with their annual report.

Australian Brett Gosper is CEO of World Rugby - son of former Olympian and IOC member Kevin Gosper. He also has an advertising background working for large firms like Ogilvy and Mather, McCann Erickson, Havas and has worked in Oz, Germany, France, UK and USA and has a very successful record. He's been CEO of World Rugby since 2012, the last 2 World Cups have been very financially successful or both World Ruby and host organizing committees and handled Rugby returning to the Olympics and growing the 7's game.

He will make sure Oz Rugby doesn't die but it will go back to the model of the Wallabies and the national teams being the big drivers of income to prop up the grass roots again. Super Rugby will be downsized, but once a vaccine is found, international rugby will be the dominate revenue earner for the game.

Peter Fitzsimons has written an article in the SMH yesterday about a RU reset, but I have heard him talk about this several times over the last few weeks.

He says that RU in Oz has to reset and build from the grass roots up this time and not be so dependent on the professional game. Basic economics suggests it is going to happen, just how much are people prepared to get back to it is the real issue.

So where was rugby before it was so rudely interrupted?

I remember. It was a Bledisloe in the mid-1990s before the professional era, and the Wallabies were about to play the All Blacks in New Zealand. In the hour or two before kick-off, the injured John Eales was on duty as one of the "dirt trackers", flogging souvenir Wallabies T-shirts in the car park. The money raised would be added to the tour fund to be divided equally between players after the final Test, which would add a few hundred dollars to the $50 a day they were each earning on tour.

At that time, all the Wallabies had their own jobs - some with serious careers in business, law, engineering, dentistry - and the primary motivation for playing was personal pride, for national honour.

Beyond their playing commitments, each Wallaby understood that beyond playing they were expected to give back to the rugby community, to speak at end-of-season dinners for free, do kids training sessions, turn up at whatever rugby functions were happening and generally beat the rugby drum. The idea that they were not just players but ambassadors for the game was not only taken seriously, but cherished by the players.

And then it all changed with stunning rapidity.

Just over a year after flogging T-shirts for $20 – and Kiwi bucks at that – Eales signed a contract for a reputed $500,000 a year, when rugby went professional, and the game changed forever.

Or did it? But we’ll get to that

Thanks REH I will always bow to your knowledge of almost anything but I think you sort of agreed with me re RU in Oz. It will survive but it will come back in a completely different format (perhaps pushing 7’s out in front) but it will still be the 4th poor cousin behind AFL, NRL & the A League. Perhaps 5th if you include touch football.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks REH I will always bow to your knowledge of almost anything but I think you sort of agreed with me re RU in Oz. It will survive but it will come back in a completely different format (perhaps pushing 7’s out in front) but it will still be the 4th poor cousin behind AFL, NRL & the A League. Perhaps 5th if you include touch football.
I guess I was sort of saying it wont fall over completely. It will go back to the Wallabies will still be big money earners for the game, but national players will be paid decent salary unlike the pre professional era.

But the middle level the super rugby type comps that compete with NRL and AFL wont survive in the same format. The club level will still be where there is a bit of money but only one or two players per club can live off that.

Will be more like cricket. The national team is where you can making a living. Cricket still needs district cricket to produce players and that level is basically amateur with one or two club professionals, but Sheffield Shield fulltime players only survives on a subsidy by the national team's revenue generating ability. Same will happen with super rugby for a few years.

Last edited:
I have read history yes we May bounce back but people will still die.

I am not arguing that the economy will not bounce back.....there is is also a claim that 7 million died because of the great depression but cannot verify some say bullshit.

the economy bounced back by being aided by a world war....a World....war......which was responsible for 75 million deaths......

Which was a different era which lasted 9 years until the great depression.....and once again off the back of a world war.

I don't understand your point here it's a false equivalent. Nothing to do with my concerns.

nothing you said here is either fact but just an opinion....but I do agree if we find a cure quickly i agree with your opinion

But once again my concern is not about "bouncing back" its how we are going to bounce back....another world war??????

no one is blaming business owners here and yes I feel for them and the 6 million Australian workers whose jobs are at stake.
So give me a succinct outline of what you mean by ruined? The original post of yours I quoted said, "The balance is making sure our actions we take now does not ruin our future."

To me ruin means destroyed. If you mean destroyed but can be rebuilt then fair enough, but I got the impression you meant ruined so badly that it can't be rebuilt.

If the tweet below is correct then Oz is the 3rd country, with 1,000 or more cases to have 50% of cases that have recovered ie not total closed cased are more than 50%, as total closed cases includes deaths, but recoveries by themselves are more than 50%.

China and Iran's figures are dodgy in my opinion but these are the 50%ers or close to it for 1,000 case countries.

China.. 77,455 of 81,907 = 94.5% as well as 3,336 deaths
SKorea 7,117 of 10,450 = 68.1% as well as 208 deaths
Australia 3,136 of 6,204 = 50.5% as well as 54 deaths
Iran.... 32,309 of 62,220 = 48.8% as well as 4,110 deaths
Germ.. 52,407 of 118,235 = 44.3% as well as 2,607 deaths
Switz.. 10,600 of 24,051 = 44.1% as well as 948 deaths

Bahrain is less than 1,000 case but they are 519 of 887 = 58.5% as well as 5 deaths.

The Asian nations that cracked down hard because of SARS and MERS experience

Japan... 685 of... 5,553 = 12.4% as well as 99 deaths
Hong Kong 460 of 1,980 = 24.1% as well as 6 deaths
Singapore 293 of 974... = 30.1% as well as 4 deaths
Taiwan..... 91 of 382.... = 23.8% as well as 6 deaths

If the tweet below is correct then Oz is the 3rd country, with 1,000 or more cases to have 50% of cases that have recovered ie not total closed cased are more than 50%, as total closed cases includes deaths, but recoveries by themselves are more than 50%.

China and Iran's figures are dodgy in my opinion but these are the 50%ers or close to it for 1,000 case countries.

China.. 77,455 of 81,907 = 94.5% as well as 3,336 deaths
Australia 3,136 of 6,204 = 50.5% as well as 54 deaths
Iran.... 32,309 of 62,220 = 48.8% as well as 4,110 deaths
Germ.. 52,407 of 118,235 = 44.3% as well as 2,607 deaths
Switz.. 10,600 of 24,051 = 44.1% as well as 948 deaths

Bahrain is less than 1,000 case but they are 519 of 887 = 58.5% as well as 5 deaths.

The Asian nations that cracked down hard because of SARS and MERS experience

Japan... 685 of... 5,553 = 12.4% as well as 99 deaths
Hong Kong 460 of 1,980 = 24.1% as well as 6 deaths
Singapore 293 of 974... = 30.1% as well as 4 deaths
Taiwan..... 91 of 382.... = 23.8% as well as 6 deaths

Encouraging figures - 54 deaths and about 3000 recovered. That gives a morbidity rate of around 1.5%. The great unknown is how many people have been infected and not tested given what has been a limited testing regime. I’d conservatively say it must be at least double - on this estimate you actually get an Australian morbidity rate to date of about .75%.

NSW police pulled over a bloke towing a couple of dirt bikes on a trailer who claimed he was bringing essential supplies to his uncle.

NSW police pulled over a bloke towing a couple of dirt bikes on a trailer who claimed he was bringing essential supplies to his uncle.

This is 2020's "just waiting for a mate."

I don't like to generalise but anyone who isn't a farmer and owns dirt bikes or quad bikes is probably a piece of poo

I remember going quad biking once and I snapped the handlebars clean off and had to ride back to the ute with a macgyvered up steering column.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back