Corona virus, Port and the AFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Andrews won't cancel AFL season. Everything that's wrong with the competition in that sentence. With Victoria the epicentre of Australia's infections it should be a no brainer for Gil to say teams will play in WA and SA (and even NT games since they are clean). Instead we're beholden to the infected state. :mad:

Its a part of the deal for the GF, Vic govt pays AFL, MCC provides the venue, AFL provides the product, the Vic economy gets the financial boost &
the AFL administration can strut around town as 'a somebody'.

As predicted the Pubs and Clubs are ramping up the pressure on Steven Marshall. They make a good point, what is the point of putting teams out on the park at community level if you cannot make the money to keep the grass cut?

If you start up local and community leagues in the city and country in any sport in June as Marshall has telegraphed you really have to open the bars so they can trade. If you have limits on the number of patrons either a square metre rule or a limit you have to be able to police it.

Maybe keep the clubhouse closed but open outdoor booths with social distancing? Maybe allow booze boys with trays of cold cans to move around the ovals? There are ways but I am not sure that Steven or Nicola would have been to that many local sporting events so they will need the solutions pointed out.

As predicted the Pubs and Clubs are ramping up the pressure on Steven Marshall. They make a good point, what is the point of putting teams out on the park at community level if you cannot make the money to keep the grass cut?

If you start up local and community leagues in the city and country in any sport in June as Marshall has telegraphed you really have to open the bars so they can trade. If you have limits on the number of patrons either a square metre rule or a limit you have to be able to police it.

Maybe keep the clubhouse closed but open outdoor booths with social distancing? Maybe allow booze boys with trays of cold cans to move around the ovals? There are ways but I am not sure that Steven or Nicola would have been to that many local sporting events so they will need the solutions pointed out.
Maybe people in cars only and someone in full hazmat delivering to car windows hey

But people have been getting sick from day dot, we haven't had any of these worries until now, none of our parents worry about it we didn't as kids ....

I am pretty sure in the history of pregnancies older brothers and sisters have gotten sick while the mother was pregnant.

Kids get sick people get sick, it what our body does. It's natural.

I get the vaccine because I see the benifits other don't ...I am sorry I won't be apart of the bullying behaviour towards people who are against vaccines.

I suggest you speak to someone from the generation that suffered through the polio epidemic and see if they felt it was just what the body does. It's natural.

Sure they can refuse it. And the rest of society can refuse to let them interact with them in a place of work or school.

Boneheaded people like these are the reason Polio and Measles are not wiped out.
Wait a minute are you telling me these injections are a cure?

Are you telling me these injection 100% guarantee I won't get sick?

But people have been getting sick from day dot, we haven't had any of these worries until now, none of our parents worry about it we didn't as kids ....

I am pretty sure in the history of pregnancies older brothers and sisters have gotten sick while the mother was pregnant.

Kids get sick people get sick, it what our body does. It's natural.

I get the vaccine because I see the benifits other don't ...I am sorry I won't be apart of the bullying behaviour towards people who are against vaccines.
It's almost like medicine, including vaccines stops people dying earlier. Gee, at 46 if only I'd reached my age bit over 100 years ago, I'd have passed life expectancy. These days I've got to wait under 35 or so years. Pfft. :think:

main-qimg-29f3e549855af725c1f3d5798fd1aec6

A word on vaccines for those who think they do not matter...

My aunt contracted rubella while pregnant and the child, my cousin, was born deaf and dumb. As there was no vaccine in the days when my aunt was pregnant she had no choice. In these times when there is an MMR vaccine how could any one inflict that disadvantage on a child while upholding their right not to be vaccinated?

It's almost like medicine, including vaccines stops people dying earlier. Gee, at 46 if only I'd reached my age bit over 100 years ago, I'd have passed life expectancy. These days I've got to wait under 35 or so years. Pfft. :think:

main-qimg-29f3e549855af725c1f3d5798fd1aec6
I am not arguing this stop turning it into an argument I am not having.

The funny thing is I had a similar discussion about alcohol with you ...

I should shame bully you into stop drinking.

In the end absolute death numbers will indicate what has being going on ( yes I know, some will be due to suicide)
Thing is they won't though, because the death rate is now being influenced by less homicides, car accidents, and influenza deaths due to the quarantine, so the comparison with previous years is not apples with apples.

In some countries death rates are actually down year on year due to this; it wouldn't surprise me if Australia is one of them.

Its a part of the deal for the GF, Vic govt pays AFL, MCC provides the venue, AFL provides the product, the Vic economy gets the financial boost &
the AFL administration can strut around town as 'a somebody'.
The Essendon drugs saga showed everybody how ingrained AFL is into the Melbourne establishment when it used its links into Melbourne/Vic legal system, politics, media and business establishments to spin the story and try and get deals done so it got off the front page and heavied ASADA and the prosecutors of the case.

Chip Le Grand has written about it in his articles and book. This one from February 2016 a few weeks after the CAS ruling sets it out nicely. In quotes is the stuff needed for reference but I have left unquoted the Melbourne establishment stuff. Even Chip at times did a bit of appeasing of the Melbourne establishment not be barred from coming inside the tent ocassionally.

It was a Saturday morning, February 9, 2013, just two days after the blackest day in Australian sport. With McLachlan was David Evans, president of the Essendon Football Club and an impeccably connected investment broker and company director whose network is a rollcall of Melbourne’s corporate, media and sporting elite.

The AFL and Essendon delegation had flown to Canberra to negotiate with ASADA an outcome to Australia’s biggest doping scandal. No player at the club had yet been formally interviewed about what took place at Essendon the previous year but McLachlan already knew how the scandal should be resolved.

The federal government, through sports minister Kate Lundy’s trusted adviser Richard Eccles, was also a party to discussions. Prompted by Eccles, McLachlan set out his desired outcome. The AFL, ASADA and Essendon would come to an arrangement. The club would be punished and the officials responsible held to account. The players would be found innocent. His reasoning? If they took a banned substance, it was only because they were duped.

ASADA chief executive Aurora Andruska, a career public servant bound by the strict provisions of the World Anti-Doping Code and Australia’s adherence to the International Convention against Doping in Sport, listened intently to what Essendon and the AFL leaders had to say.

Well into a lengthy meeting, she became exasperated with the discussion and made a note to herself in a spiral notebook: “This debate is getting stupid.’’

Nearly three years later, in the aftermath of two-year bans imposed on 34 current and former Essendon players by the Court of Arbitration for Sport, the entire folly of any attempt by the AFL and one of its most powerful clubs to cut a deal with anti-doping authorities is exposed. “There was never, ever, any purpose to be doing a deal with the AFL,’’ Andruska told this reporter a year ago, when the case against the 34 players was still before an AFL tribunal and yet to be taken up by the World Anti-doping Agency.

“I’ll tell you why that would have been impossible. Whatever we did, it was going to be reviewed by WADA. Do you think that I, as the head of ASADA, would want to do a deal with the AFL that is then reviewed by WADA and WADA says we think ASADA went too soft?

“Can you imagine what that would look like? We would look like Russia to the rest of the world. There was never an option. Never, ever, ever, ever an option.’’

McLachlan in the years since the Fyshwick meeting has taken over the running of the AFL and consistently denied he tried to strike a deal with ASADA over the fate of Essendon’s players. During a television interview this week with Fox Sports’ AFL 360 program, he derided Andruska’s “scraps of paper’’ recording her dealings with the AFL.

Those scraps of paper — detailed diaries kept by Andruska during her time as ASADA chief — were accepted as reliable evidence by the Federal Court.

The CAS decision has done more than deliver the worst of all possible outcomes to the AFL, Essendon and 34 footballers who, though not blameless in the drugs scandal, were deceived into consenting to an injections regime by false assurances, lies and misinformation provided by people employed in positions of responsibility at their club.

The judgment of the Swiss-based tribunal is a humbling reality check on the limits of AFL power and Melbourne’s ruling clique. Faced with its greatest crisis, the big end of a sports mad town could not influence the outcome that mattered most.

Andruska’s scraps of paper also record the day in early April she visited the East Melbourne offices of Evans’s investment firm Evans and Partners. The company’s advisory board included some of the most influential men in Melbourne sport, art and political life: investment banker, philanthropist and trusted corporate and government dealmaker John Wylie; media and football powerbroker Eddie McGuire; and union godfather and AFL commissioner Bill Kelty. All would later intervene in the drug scandal.

Also in the room were Paul Little, the billionaire businessman who would soon replace an exhausted and conflicted Evans as Essendon chairman, and the AFL’s McLachlan.

It was during this meeting that John Nolan, the former police detective who led ASADA’s investigation into Essendon and, more broadly, the activities of its unorthodox sports scientist Stephen Dank, read out a bewildering list of nearly 70 exotic substances, some banned and some not, that he suspected the Essendon players were given.

These included Thymosin Beta 4, the banned peptide that CAS this week found was injected into all 34 players.

Returning to the airport, Andruska shared a ride with David Lording, an experienced political spinner and crisis manager who had been called in to advise ASADA. “Do you realise who you have just met?’’ he asked her. “The Melbourne establishment.’’

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am not arguing this stop turning it into an argument I am not having.

The funny thing is I had a similar discussion about alcohol with you ...

I should shame bully you into stop drinking.
I drink alcohol about 3 times a year (on a big year), so feel free to shame me :p

So SEVEN News reporting what we all thought would happen. The SA Government has told the AFL it will not allow FIFO matches in Adelaide in 2020. SEVEN is reporting that SA teams will play all matches interstate. Apparently the AFL is not happy with the Marshall Govt response.

This is only SEVEN at this stage and this story needs to be confirmed.

So SEVEN News reporting what we all thought would happen. The SA Government has told the AFL it will not allow FIFO matches in Adelaide in 2020. SEVEN is reporting that SA teams will play all matches interstate. Apparently the AFL is not happy with the Marshall Govt response.

But surely we can play two showdowns here?
And who the hell would want to play in Vic with their community transmission?

But surely we can play two showdowns here?
And who the hell would want to play in Vic with their community transmission?

They didn't mention showdowns and it probably didn't occur to them. I do not understand how it is safe for SA players to fly to Victoria yet it is unsafe for Victorian players to fly in and out of Adelaide? If a player is infected he is infected whether he is playing in Melbourne or Adelaide.

If what SEVEN are reporting is true that is us ****ed and a free kick for the Melbourne clubs. That would not occur to Marshall.

So since 23rd April, that is now 14 zeros in a row, then 1 case on 7th May a British immigrant landed on 20/3 that had a test on 5th May, then 5 days in a row.

Basically 20 days in a row that no permanent resident of SA has tested positive.

Before that 5 days from 18th to 22nd April inc was 0, 0, 0, 2, 1 then series listed above starts.

It's lucky that South Australia is such a self-sufficient economic powerhouse that we can afford to keep our borders closed to the rest of Australia.

Lol, how about Marshall shouldn't be happy with the AFL. Send our players to a state where it isn't under control or let players in from said state. He should be pushing publicly that the AFL has a duty of care to it's players, so given Victoria is not under control all games and players must be in WA, SA (/NT) until Victoria is safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back