Health Coronavirus 2020 / Worldwide (Stats live update in OP) Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Assume the "we need to let it rip and get herd immunity" crowd don't picture themselves getting infected and definitely don't work in the hospitals and healthcare systems that'll cop all the s**t waves if it spreads with impunity.

How are they breaking rules when they were playing PS4 inside a house? it's not like they were playing in a public area. if I'm not mistaken you are allowed to invite 1 or 2 guests over.
The rule is gatherings are limited to two people, unless they live together. They also say going to visit a friend isn't a valid reason.
It's more so that someone can do their work as a carer, you can have a plumber come and fix something etc.

So 3 people in a house breaks the 2 person rule, playing video games isn't essential and you can bloody well do it online, no need to be in the same place.

The rule is 1 guest.
And not to play video games or catch up for a chat. And if other people live in the house you aren't mean to all be in the same room with someone else is there.

The rule is no gathering of more than 2 people, with exceptions being made if they are from the same household. There were 3 people from 3 different households. You could argue maybe should have copped a warning and moved on for something fairly trivial but they are in breach of guidelines.
People are arguing a lot of things are trivial.
The state is taking a pretty hard stance because if you give people an inch they will take a mile.

There was also a dinner party with 7 people that was fined yesterday. Four people just hanging out together in a park.

If you need 90% compliance for this to work, once you take out all of the times people can't social distance effectively because of work, getting food, going to the doctor, catching public transport for one of those things.

All these trivial little things become less trivial in the context of the big picture

Victoria is as locked down as Italy. Their lockdown is totally disproportionate for the level of risk.

You can still go to Bunnings, grab a kebab from a restaurant and then bake on a beach.

We haven't reached the stage of needing written permission to leave the house or tanks enforcing curfews.

Assume the "we need to let it rip and get herd immunity" crowd don't picture themselves getting infected and definitely don't work in the hospitals and healthcare systems that'll cop all the s**t waves if it spreads with impunity.

its not a "let it rip", its "lets use the ICU and hospital capacity".

Currently, we are damaging the economy but not actually using the capacity we have, nor are we moving forward in any meaningful way.

I am sure people smarter than us are looking at the stats and models and advising the government appropriately. It's a delicate balance but in the end the priority is avoidable deaths.
For now it is. As the recoveries continue to increase and testing is expanded, and if there isn’t a dramatic increase in new cases, then there will be a lot of pressure by the public to lift some restrictions by the end of April.

I've just been out to do a quick job and then I ducked into the supermarket. No old people anywhere, I didn't see one. Hardly any traffic and the streets are almost empty.

If people are in isolation as these are the only people police are required to check on then in their homes there is clearly a breach of the quarantine rules if the neighbourhood kids/friends are dropping by to play games.
Come to where I work and you’ll think it’s a lawn bowls club.

For now it is. As the recoveries continue to increase and testing is expanded, and if there isn’t a dramatic increase in new cases, then there will be a lot of pressure by the public to lift some restrictions by the end of April.

For sure, and I'd be one of the first to campaign for it if cases dwindle to near zero. I do love my civil liberties.

However, this is the new reality we live in and at the risk of being labelled a 'virtue signaller', because apparently doing the right thing means you're a show-off, there is zero reason to be contrarian to the government message because it does cost lives.

Thank fu** you're not in charge.

Your plan seems only too happy to put more have health care workers lives at risk so it can be carried out.

Awesome that you're cool with playing Russian roulette with other people's lives.

Deaths are a small price to pay so some small business doesn't go bust

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Get off your high horse ffs. Common sense says they're at school all day, what's the harm in playing PS4.
Spare me the 'It isn't essential' and think for yourself.

The shops are still rammed with people (mostly the elderly we are trying to protect), there's no harm in kids playing PS4 in a lounge
lolwut?

School = essential.

Playing video games, at somebody else's house = non essential.

I really didn't think it was that difficult to comprehend. Obviously I am wrong.

News saying that some restrictions could be lifted by early May like Pubs,Restarunts,Gyms.

The Australian Government must be confident we are getting on top of the virus if they want to ease restrictions that early
That would make sense, especially if they keep on top of community transmissions.

lolwut?

School = essential.

Playing video games, at somebody else's house = non essential.

I really didn't think it was that difficult to comprehend. Obviously I am wrong.

Careful you high horse virtue signaller. No one needs to know you stay at home you do-gooder.

the modelling is not bullshit but having a completely unconstrained spread is also totally unrealistic just like a full lockdown is actually not going to achieve the herd immunity we need.

We need to know the detail around the value, for example, of shutting restaurants - when we know we need to actually spread this in a controllable way.

The modelling is fine, it was a lighthearted jibe about some previous postings ITT.

So far in WA at least community transmission has been very, very low. We've got 470 cases and about 400 of them were acquired overseas. There are still ~50 cases from contact with a confirmed case and ~20 other. We were never going to see a NYC style explosion because we don't have the population density, but those ~70 people with it could easily turn into hundreds. WA and NSW aren't worlds apart and they've got over 1,000 locally transmitted cases.

I don't think we are targetting herd immunity at all.

The modelling is fine, it was a lighthearted jibe about some previous postings ITT.

So far in WA at least community transmission has been very, very low. We've got 470 cases and about 400 of them were acquired overseas. There are still ~50 cases from contact with a confirmed case and ~20 other. We were never going to see a NYC style explosion because we don't have the population density, but those ~70 people with it could easily turn into hundreds. WA and NSW aren't worlds apart and they've got over 1,000 locally transmitted cases.

I don't think we are targetting herd immunity at all.

WA has started random community testing and on day 1 zero positive cases were picked up. I'd hazard to suggest if that continues and no cases are being picked up for a couple of weeks we will see our own easing of lockdowns independent of what the rest of Australia is doing. Testing criteria have also been greatly expanded.

I know it might be a vain hope but WA has a real chance of getting back to normal before the rest of the mainland states.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back