Health Coronavirus 2020 / Worldwide (Stats live update in OP) Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sensing some resentment towards the older generation in this thread ;)
Yawn. I’m just sick of them using the supermarket as a social trip multiple times a week, putting myself and my fellow coworkers at more of a risk.

All of these measures are supposedly to protect the vulnerable yet some clearly don’t care.

This covid really is as close as you'll ever come to being a hero isn't it. You never want life back, this is how you feel powerful

And you feel powerful by being 'woke' and pretending to be the authoritative voice on how these measures are unnecessary and f*** the police. You've been labelling everyone in this thread arguing against you as virtue signallers completely unaware of the hypocrisy.

Well done.

And you feel powerful by being 'woke' and pretending to be the authoritative voice on how these measures are unnecessary and f*** the police. You've been labelling everyone in this thread arguing against you as virtue signallers completely unaware of the hypocrisy.

Well done.
Some who disagree are capable of discussion. Others (you mostly) think they are the authority on all things corona

I also never said '* the police'. The fines being reported have mostly been ridiculous though. Get less for far more serious crimes but those crimes arent your flavour of the month

Yawn. I’m just sick of them using the supermarket as a social trip multiple times a week, putting myself and my fellow coworkers at more of a risk.

All of these measures are supposedly to protect the vulnerable yet some clearly don’t care.

Most of the time, old people are invisible yet you're imprinting on them now and seeing them everywhere. Over and over.

health care workers will have to deal with COVID patients regardless. We need to be setup so they can deal with them a sustained and controllable way. That is the ONLY way we can be sure we will get through this. We dont' want the hospitals to be overwhelmed but they will need to deal with this.

But you'd agree that the less patients they have to deal with it the better?

Better to come in trickles than in massive waves.

And the best way to achieve that is to trying and limit how many people potentially get exposed to it early on, yes?

The modelling is fine, it was a lighthearted jibe about some previous postings ITT.

So far in WA at least community transmission has been very, very low. We've got 470 cases and about 400 of them were acquired overseas. There are still ~50 cases from contact with a confirmed case and ~20 other. We were never going to see a NYC style explosion because we don't have the population density, but those ~70 people with it could easily turn into hundreds. WA and NSW aren't worlds apart and they've got over 1,000 locally transmitted cases.

I don't think we are targetting herd immunity at all.

speaking to someone in the department of health - WA has expanded the testing criteria and we are sitting at 0% positives for people who don't have a decent link to someone known to have had it.

But you'd agree that the less patients they have to deal with it the better?

Better to come in trickles than in massive waves.

And the best way to achieve that is to trying and limit how many people potentially get exposed to it early on, yes?

we should be aiming to hit around 60-80% of capacity. At the moment we are sitting at like 5%. We have alot more space.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The lockdown is to prevent it spreading, so going 'there's not many infected anyway' to lift it is insincere. Or stupid.

WA has started random community testing and on day 1 zero positive cases were picked up. I'd hazard to suggest if that continues and no cases are being picked up for a couple of weeks we will see our own easing of lockdowns independent of what the rest of Australia is doing. Testing criteria have also been greatly expanded.

I know it might be a vain hope but WA has a real chance of getting back to normal before the rest of the mainland states.

We may well do. The stats are dynamic. We're at 470 cases right now but that isn't meaningful on its own. You don't just get it and then you have it, you get it and after a degree of suffering from none to weeks in ICU you either recover or die. We need to have 0 active cases and a dedicated COVID-19 hospital. We are doing well stopping stupid cruise ships arriving.

we should be aiming to hit around 60-80% of capacity. At the moment we are sitting at like 5%. We have alot more space.
I wonder if there is any way of trickling without a full flood though. It seems we haven't even nailed down how this spreads, so we don't have any real measures beyond keeping everybody away from each other. Perhaps locking all states down even more except for one, and massively mobilizing the whole medical infrastructure of the country to support one state (or even city) where we raise the lockdown could do it? I dunno.

medical scientists are there to take the conservative approach.

health outcomes tank when someone is unemployed. We have put 1m+ people out of work doing this. That isn't sustainable.

A symptom of unemployment isn't dying, struggling to breath.

Someone earlier in this thread or the main board one crunched the numbers and stated the maximum increase per day that can be sustained in ICUs is about 4%. We don't have a lot to play with because as Scotland hinted they just don't go into hospital for two weeks then either recover or die - they occupy beds for weeks at a time. Better under capacity than testing that capacity by relaxing lockdowns for a week as it spreads so damn easily.

Someone earlier in this thread or the main board one crunched the numbers and stated the maximum increase per day that can be sustained in ICUs is about 4%. We don't have a lot to play with because as Scotland hinted they just don't go into hospital for two weeks then either recover or die - they occupy beds for weeks at a time. Better under capacity than testing that capacity by relaxing lockdowns for a week as it spreads so damn easily.

We should be setting up a dedicated hospital for this, these patients taking up ICU beds i just don't get. This is an illness we know what it does and how to manage it. We should be scaling this according, not taking a generic "throw them in ICU" approach to something which is relatively known and consistant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back