Health Coronavirus 2020 / Worldwide (Stats live update in OP) Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, nah.

Just nah.
If you’re ever in doubt that Australia still has a racism problem, just listen to white people tell you we don’t have a racism problem (said as a privileged white middle class, middle aged male).

What relevance does it have to Australia? We see what's happening in America. Do we need to throw our hat in the ring too? When we're still supposed to be worried about Coronavirus?
We have our own problems with racism, this is simply (another) spark. We jail Indigenous Australians at a higher rate than Americans jail blacks. We have had more than 400 Aboriginal deaths in custody since a Royal Commission into why we have so many deaths in custody. I’m not surprised they are protesting, I’m more surprised they are protesting every single ******* day.

Last edited:
If you’re ever in doubt that Australia still has a racism problem, just listen to white people tell you we don’t have a racism problem (said as a privileged white middle class, middle aged male).

We have our own problems with racism, this is simply (another) spark. We jail Indigenous Australians at a higher rate than Americans jail blacks. We have had more than 400 Aboriginal deaths in custody since a Royal Commission into why we have so many deaths in custody. I’m not surprised they are protesting, I’m more surprised they are protesting every dingle ******* day.
I didn't say we don't have a racism problem, or rather problems concerning indigenous Australians. There are matters there to be looked at, for sure. But overzealous cops shooting dead black people, which is what the riots are about in the US, has little relevance to Australia. And while those indigenous issues are perfectly valid, as are many issues which can drive one to protest, I merely question whether now, amidst a pandemic, where we have been told to stay home and make significant changes to our lives at huge, widely detrimental cost to the economy and our means of living for the foreseeable future, is the most appropriate time to go out and protest in large numbers. For us, the indigenous people in custody issue existed six months ago and will likely exist six months into the future. Perhaps those would have been better times for Australians to speak up about Australian issues, not just follow what the Americans do.

I didn't say we don't have a racism problem, or rather problems concerning indigenous Australians. There are matters there to be looked at, for sure. But overzealous cops shooting dead black people, which is what the riots are about in the US, has little relevance to Australia. And while those indigenous issues are perfectly valid, as are many issues which can drive one to protest, I merely question whether now, amidst a pandemic, where we have been told to stay home and make significant changes to our lives at huge, widely detrimental cost to the economy and our means of living for the foreseeable future, is the most appropriate time to go out and protest in large numbers. For us, the indigenous people in custody issue existed six months ago and will likely exist six months into the future. Perhaps those would have been better times for Australians to speak up about Australian issues, not just follow what the Americans do.

From what I can tell indigenous Australians have been leading these protests so I'm not sure what angle you're going for here.

The timing is because of what is happening in the US right now, and appropriately enough when coronavirus restrictions in Australia are greatly easing anyway. Still, not ideal from a public health standpoint, for sure - but if you have to wait for opportune times to protest it sort of loses its potency. You can liken it to having 'free speech zones' far away from when the US President visits a town - not really an exercise of a right to protest if it can only be exercised according to the strict control of the authorities.

So exactly what are the protesters wilfully and unnecessarily putting the lives of others at risk for?
Like pretty much everything these days, the gram.

It's pretty sad that it took the US basically falling apart for Australians to decide that they'd like to do something about the issues we have here. But we're followers and didn't want to miss out on having our own thing, so now is the time, even though I highly doubt most people posting a black square on their instagram yesterday would have had the slightest clue about the numbers of indigenous people in gaol, the death counts, etc. more than 48 hours ago, if they even do now.

But I guess you gotta start somewhere...

Last edited:
Sorry what?

I condemned those 5g protestors too. They were absolute morons.

I believe in the cause they are protesting about but now is not the time.

You want to talk about civil liberties? There have been heaps of things we have all lost as a result of Coronavirus in order to prevent a giant outbreak. We are now in a ******* recession because of what has happened. People cannot even go to work, footy training etc without the threat of being fined by police.

It is ******* farcical that we are going to have a protest with thousands in the middle of a pandemic. Don’t give me that civil liberties argument. People rocking up with Coronavirus would likely lead to a massive outbreak and we’d be prolonging the time we spend with other civil liberties essentially gone.

And has anyone stopped to think of the dangers of high Coronavirus numbers to the Indigenous community?

Like I said pure stupidity. I know someone who lost their young husband suddenly recently and couldn’t have the love and support of people at a funeral. And here are people defending people being able to protest. The government can get absolutely f’ed.
How do you stop them without causing a massive incident? Common sense is to read the room and let it go. The virus isn't not even in double figures each day and we have 25 million people in this country.

Farcical would be a local video of police brutality...nice one NSW pig with small man syndrome. Hopefully some good comes from it.

Might as well bring back footy crowds if we’re going to allow protests with thousands.

Well I reckon the cops should step-in, use whatever force necessary to disperse these COVID-19 social distancing flouting protesters - actually surprised the media haven't suggested this as it would definitely assist their current 'racist police brutality' headlines and narrative...

Easy to say from your point of view when you're not living the racism every day. You've been living Covid every day for a whole 3-4 months and it's front and centre atm so the most important thing. Imagine a whole lifetime of it and the big opportunity to make change comes along, you need to take it.

Knowing how 2020 is going, there will only be a few weeks or months of the spot light and a bigger crisis will come around the corner. My money is on US nukes at this stage because Trump sat on the football.

Can't believe how many people are defending people's right to have mass protests here after all the Covid19 restrictions we've had and continue to have.

Just a couple of weeks ago AFL players were only permitted to train in groups of 10 but now suddenly it's OK for thousands of random people to gather for protests.

It's ridiculous and yet there seems to be very little media criticism of the protests despite the fact we still have so many restrictions in other areas, I guess the protest stories make for more exciting stories now than the pandemic stories which are old hat so they've conveniently decided to change up the news cycle.

Funny how none of them seem to give a s**t about how Indigenous Australians are at greater risk of Coronavirus too.
Have you actually spoken to any Aboriginal people regarding this? Always a good idea to ask the people for whom you're making wild assumptions about.

Can't believe how many people are defending people's right to have mass protests here after all the Covid19 restrictions we've had and continue to have.

Just a couple of weeks ago AFL players were only permitted to train in groups of 10 but now suddenly it's OK for thousands of random people to gather for protests.

It's ridiculous and yet there seems to be very little media criticism of the protests despite the fact we still have so many restrictions in other areas, I guess the protest stories make for more exciting stories now than the pandemic stories which are old hat so they've conveniently decided to change up the news cycle.
They aren’t mutual exclusive options that occur in a vacuum, similar to lock downs vs the economy. Like the recession, the protests are happening whether the government allows them or not.

If the government makes a big statement, they then have to act, which means violence and bad press.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They aren’t mutual exclusive options that occur in a vacuum, similar to lock downs vs the economy. Like the recession, the protests are happening whether the government allows them or not.

If the government makes a big statement, they then have to act, which means violence and bad press.

Yeah I realise it's difficult for governments to stop the protests from going ahead as it could lead to violence and bad press if they send in the cops to shut them down, the criticism should really be aimed at the morons that think it's a good idea to be involved in mass protests given the risks we currently face with Covid19.

The whole country has made enormous sacrifices over the past few months to stop the spread of this virus and that could all be undone because some morons want to copy America and stage mass protests which will achieve nothing. You can understand the point of the protests in the US but what is the point of protests here?

It's not just here either, they are staging mass protests in places like the UK and France where the risks of spreading the virus are even greater than here. If the virus only affected the morons being involved in these protests it wouldn't be so bad but it could also affect the sensible people that are still doing the right thing.

Here's the latest on the Victorian Government's position on the upcoming BLM weekend protests in Melbourne.

Premier Daniel Andrews has urged people to avoid attending the 'Black Lives Matter' protest in Melbourne this weekend because of concerns it could lead to the spread of coronavirus.
"I'm not going to the protest, and I would suggest to other people they shouldn't go either," he said.
He said it was not safe to be out protesting: "let's not do anything on the weekend that compromises safety or spreads the virus".
"I understand the issue and how deeply held these views are and how sad people are about what has occurred overseas - and indeed what has occurred here in Australia - but let's not repeat the scenes out of the United States. That is not us, that is not our society and that is in no-one's interest," he said.

Victoria Police will not put a curfew on the Melbourne CBD ahead of a major Black Lives Matter protest this weekend, according to the state government.
Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews said the current “extraordinary” State of Emergency powers could allow for laws akin to a curfew to be enacted, but Victoria Police will not be going down that route.
He said Victoria Police had made the "challenging" decision not to fine protesters as long as they were following social distancing rules, which he said was “better than seeing that gathering on Saturday deteriorating into the scenes we’ve seen overseas”.
“Victoria Police has made a difficult judgment about what is most likely to lead to a peaceful protest," Mr Andrews said.
"There are number of people who are determined to be there on Saturday, I'm advising against that, but they're going to be there. So the question then is, do you lock people up? Do you inflame what is a pretty volatile situation given the depth of feeling on these issues?"
He said Victoria Police was taking a "common sense" approach, but reiterated that if it’s “not peaceful, then it isn’t a protest”, and police would react swiftly to any bad behaviour at the major demonstration.
“I understand the issue and how deeply moved people are about what has happened overseas ... But don't repeat the scenes we have seen in the US – that is not us."
More than 37,000 people registered their interest in attending the protest. There are also events planned for Sydney, Brisbane, Canberra and Adelaide.

Yeah I realise it's difficult for governments to stop the protests from going ahead as it could lead to violence and bad press if they send in the cops to shut them down, the criticism should really be aimed at the morons that think it's a good idea to be involved in mass protests given the risks we currently face with Covid19.

The whole country has made enormous sacrifices over the past few months to stop the spread of this virus and that could all be undone because some morons want to copy America and stage mass protests which will achieve nothing. You can understand the point of the protests in the US but what is the point of protests here?

It's not just here either, they are staging mass protests in places like the UK and France where the risks of spreading the virus are even greater than here. If the virus only affected the morons being involved in these protests it wouldn't be so bad but it could also affect the sensible people that are still doing the right thing.
It's protests about systemic racism which a lot of countries have issues with so definitely our issue too. No doubt, the virus has made people angrier and this was the spark needed to kick it all off. They will hopefully achieve something too by educating the general public on our issues and hopefully take further baby steps to becoming a better society.

I think we're a lot better than the US but it's like telling your Mrs she's scored compared to the iced up homeless person you just walked past.

I feel like Corona is finished.

Nothing about it on tv much.

Even the riot thing has gone quiet.

Whats next for 2020?

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yeah even this thread is slowing down. We need something big by Coronavirus to propel itself back to the front page.

It's protests about systemic racism which a lot of countries have issues with so definitely our issue too. No doubt, the virus has made people angrier and this was the spark needed to kick it all off. They will hopefully achieve something too by educating the general public on our issues and hopefully take further baby steps to becoming a better society.

I think we're a lot better than the US but it's like telling your Mrs she's scored compared to the iced up homeless person you just walked past.

Let's not pretend that the protests here and elsewhere would be going ahead if the protests hadn't kicked off in America, nothing has changed here in the last week or so that warrants protests about racism especially when mass gatherings break our restriction rules, it is mostly just a bunch of virtue signalling morons wanting to copy Americans and show everyone how non racist they are.

I don't see how these protests will educate the general public on these issues either, most people are already aware of the racism issues here and the genuine racists won't give a s**t about the protests or change their behaviour so what's the point of them?

Let's not pretend that the protests here and elsewhere would be going ahead if the protests hadn't kicked off in America, nothing has changed here in the last week or so that warrants protests about racism especially when mass gatherings break our restriction rules, it is mostly just a bunch of virtue signalling morons wanting to copy Americans and show everyone how non racist they are.

I don't see how these protests will educate the general public on these issues either, most people are already aware of the racism issues here and the genuine racists won't give a s**t about the protests or change their behaviour so what's the point of them?
Ever notice how interest in horse racing goes through the roof at Cup time? Or people attend BBQs en masse on Grand final day. Even if they don't follow footy or horse racing. Same thing here, while it's prominent in people's minds, people get involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back