Health Coronavirus 2020 / Worldwide (Stats live update in OP) Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
What does the Fox say?

COVID-19 won’t slow down in the U.S. even as states start to slowly reopen.
“There's going to be no summertime lull with a big wave in the fall,” he said as part of CNET’s Hacking the Apocalypse series. “It's clear that we are having a significant resurgence of cases in the summer, and they'll get bigger. And it'll keep going until we lock things down again.”
If we cover our faces, and both you and anyone you're interacting with are wearing a mask, the risk of transmission goes way down.”
For those who refuse to wear a mask in the interim, Toner said they’ll eventually wise up.
“They will get over it," he says. "It's just a question of how many people get sick and die before they get over it."

Victorian Government advice on face masks released today.
Worth the read.
Other States take note.

Yeah good times. How fun is all this .. was it true the prime minister said don’t hug your own family.. not sure if true

So the government mentioned today about the need for a vaccine and it probably taking two years minimum. I shudder to think of the mental state of Australians in two years or longer being in a perpetual state of on and off lockdowns, unable to see more than a handful of friends at the one time. With no new jobs popping up. The recently graduated having zero chance of finding a job. No businesses being left.

Last edited:
So the government mentioned today about the need for a vaccine and it probably taking two years minimum. I shudder to think of the mental state of Australians in two years or longer being in a perpetual state of on and off lockdowns, unable to see more than a handful of friends at the one time. With no new jobs popping up. The recently graduated having zero chance of finding a job.
I'm almost at the point even now of just being like * it if I catch it (not even sure I haven't had it a few months ago tbh) and end up dying of it so be it, it's such low probability. Sick of living like this already

Was tested today, will have result by Monday.

This is day 11 of quarantine in Perth before flying up to site on Wednesday. Being from Vic the test is now compulsory before being allowed to go back to work.

I had a work mate go to Melbourne Airport on Wednesday or Thursday to fly back to Perth and was told to go home. No more Vic fifo to Perth

Was tested today, will have result by Monday.

This is day 11 of quarantine in Perth before flying up to site on Wednesday. Being from Vic the test is now compulsory before being allowed to go back to work.

I had a work mate go to Melbourne Airport on Wednesday or Thursday to fly back to Perth and was told to go home. No more Vic fifo to Perth
Does he get paid still?

Does he get paid still?

Good question. I'll see if I can find out.

Point of hire is Perth so maybe not. They have the power to grant us up to 12mths of fully paid discretionary leave. They may make him burn through whatever leave he has and then look at discretionary. They may ask him to relocate and if he doesn't they might let him go and replace him. Interesting.

So the government mentioned today about the need for a vaccine and it probably taking two years minimum. I shudder to think of the mental state of Australians in two years or longer being in a perpetual state of on and off lockdowns, unable to see more than a handful of friends at the one time. With no new jobs popping up. The recently graduated having zero chance of finding a job. No businesses being left.

We as a country will need to evolve with our lifestyle and the way we go about work.

Would a boss trust their employees to work at home for 2 years for the benefit of the country?, The Europeans seem open to adapt to change very well but I have my doubts about Australians.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the full picture needs to be shown in terms of case numbers.

For Instance:

Yesterday

Total Cases: 216
Minus Reclassified cases: 35
Total cases, adjusted after Reclassification: 181
Minus Recoveries: 103
Total Net Cases after Recoveries: 78

Total Net cases in Saturday July 11 2020; 78

78 cases isn't great but its nowhere near 216.

It would be great if there was that level of transparency

If they can get a test that give results in a matter of minutes (which I believe isn't too far off) then that will enable more freedom of movement. If they can also get an effective treatment for those who get really sick then that's another tool that will allow us to return to some normality.

The vaccine isn't the be all and end all imo.

For Instance:

Yesterday

When recovery will be 200 a day and new cases 50. Reports will just say 50 new cases

Urgh.

BREAKING NEWS

A man in his 70s has died of COVID-19 in Victoria. The state has recorded 273 new cases of coronavirus in the past 24 hours.

For Instance:

Yesterday

Except that you've got 181 that could end up needing hospital treatment and could infect others.

For Instance:

Yesterday

Those numbers are not particularly useful to the general public.

The important thing to publicise is where the new cases are coming from right now - i.e. number, transmission source and geographic location.

This allows/encourages individuals to modify their day-to-day behaviour to help control the ongoing outbreak. If I know that there are a lot of cases in my local area I am going to be extra careful. If I know there was a cluster of community transmissions around my workplace two weeks ago, I’m more likely to get tested.

Other statistical data is interesting, but not particularly useful to the average person going about their day.

"Child to child transmission has become more apparent as we have tested more kids," Professor Sutton said.
It is still not a significant risk, but some of the earlier evidence was clearly biased by the fact that kids have mild symptoms and they were not being tested.
"We have done much more extensive testing, we have found there are probably more kids that get infected, not necessarily propagating an outbreak, but certainly kids are getting infected when you have a high community levels of transmission."

Still nothing in these quotes of whether there is any evidence of kids infecting other kids, or what % of the kids are clearly only getting infected by adults (if there is any credible data to support this).

All teachers and school staff will attend schools this week, and from July 20 the default setting will be that staff will attend school, flipping last term's arrangement where most teachers worked remotely.
Staff who are vulnerable will be permitted to work remotely, however Profesor Sutton said it was not appropriate for teachers towear masks while in the classroom. “Teaching is pretty tough with a mask on, they require those facial expressions they need to be heard clearly," he said.

Not even for teaching in classes of Year 11 and 12 students?

Here's an interesting article in a science publication, about schools around the world and COVID-19, published this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back