Health Coronavirus 2020 / Worldwide (Stats live update in OP) Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I walked past one of the quarantine hotels at South Wharf before this all blew up and remember thinking how shoddy it all looked.

It was 3 dudes, who looked like the type you see checking reserved seat tickets at the footy, huddled together at the entrance (with their back turned, not watching the entrance) looking at a mobile phone together.

A lot of that comes back to guards don't care because they get paid poorly. They know they are being ripped off so if they get fired for poor work they don't care.

One night I was working with one of this guys subbies. I was getting paid $60 an hour.

Guy working with me was getting $21.

We're both costing the buisness hiring $90 p/h but my company only takes $30 p/h where as these people that sub out take nearly $70.

So what kind of guard and work effort do you think you'll get for $21 on a Saturday night/Sunday morning?

Who controls the borders?
Federal government of course, but they couldn't deny Australian citizens their return to the country. It was up to the states then to provide adequate quarantine for them when they arrived. Wouldn't think it would be too hard to lock people in a hotel for two weeks. But I guess when you get the lowest rung of security guards you can.

Private companies cutting corners to make a profit isn't a new thing. There was no time to extensively vet a security company and who they were employing to do the job they were tasked with.

Only way it would have been a near guarantee was to have Police guarding the hotels.

Surely a private firm goes for a government contract and has to provide what it tenders for ?
Yes.

But the Procurement Managers and those who signed off on the Quarantine Services Requirement, Procurement and Sourcing Strategy, Procurement Risk Management Plan, Procurement Governance Plan, & Contract Management Plan, Draft & Actual Contracts, or who oversaw Procurement Policy, Procurement Guidelines, Procurement Processes, Procurement Systems & Contract Management & Contract Compliance are all potentially culpable to some degree.

Although if they stuffed up on the Quarantine Services Requirement or the Procurement Strategy or Sourcing Strategy at the front end of the process, and the Procurement and Contract Management teams were left with a s**t sandwich to implement and manage thereafter, provided the Procurement and Contract Management teams flagged, documented and continually raised and attempted to escalate the high risks in their Procurement and Contract Management day to day operations, they should be safe from recriminations, and the blame should partly lie with those much higher up the chain. Along with Federal players who should have been more centrally governing high risk quarantine management during a global virus pandemic in the National Interest, as part of National, Emergency, National and Health/Economic/Social Security planning and management.

The looming harsher lockdown prompted thousands to flock to shops across Melbourne in a new round of panic buying.
Long lines and full trolleys were seen outside supermarkets as early as 7am - even though they would stay open under stage 4.

60 Minutes tonight will be interviewing people involved in the Covid hotels security fu** up.

I've worked with a guy who is one of those being interviewed.

If this guy was involved in providing guards then the state Government is completely at fault as there's no way they were providing quality or well trained guards for the situation
We used some of his guards as subbies and the best you could say about them was they were a pulse.

They obviously did zero background checks on the people who they were dealing with.

I had a quick look at the background on one of the security company's out of Sydney. Due diligence fail there.

Don’t think the side effects of COVID-19 are just like getting over the winter flu!

Inb4 drugs are playing a part.

Do you know if there are any stories of people who have recovered 100% fine with no issues at all, there will be millions of those people but that isn't newsworthy now is it in the covid is a death sentence narrative.

A lot of that comes back to guards don't care because they get paid poorly. They know they are being ripped off so if they get fired for poor work they don't care.

One night I was working with one of this guys subbies. I was getting paid $60 an hour.

Guy working with me was getting $21.

We're both costing the buisness hiring $90 p/h but my company only takes $30 p/h where as these people that sub out take nearly $70.

So what kind of guard and work effort do you think you'll get for $21 on a Saturday night/Sunday morning?

I think its more to do with preparation, rather than what they are paid personally.

Given the potential for the catastrophe that we are now all dealing with, those hotels needed to be guarded like military checkpoints.

I had a quick look at the background on one of the security company's out of Sydney. Due diligence fail there.

Would likely not pass the standard financial checks to be considered as a possible bidder or on the list of those invited to bid or negotiate a contract, let alone for actually getting any contract of any Procurement team that was doing its job properly.

History of Unified Security, company caught up in Melbourne hotel quarantine bungle
July 29, 2020 4:01pm

Unified Security — one of the guard companies at the centre of the coronavirus hotel debacle in Victoria — has twice been in administration and once sold all its assets back to itself, including four Glock pistols.
When Luigi Trunzo’s Unified Security emerged from administration the first time, it sold all its assets — including four Glock pistols — to itself for $20,000.
The second time it came back from the brink, unsecured creditors owed $1.4 million got just 3.7 cents in the dollar.
On its website, Unified describes itself as “wholly Australian and Indigenous-owned.” Mr Trunzo was born in NSW. His parents are from Italy.
The company is however certified as Indigenous-owned through the heritage of 51 per cent shareholder David Millward, who trained rugby league bad boy John Hopoate to the Australian heavyweight boxing title.
That certification requires at least half of a business to be Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander owned.
Mr Trunzo, who drives a Lamborghini and lives in what may be the most expensive house in Earlwood, is not currently a director of Unified Security.
But he was between 1997 and 2005 and again from 2007 to 2015.
A 2002 deed of company arrangement executed while Unified Security Group Pty Limited was in administration saw it sell its assets to Unified Security Group (Aust) Pty Limited, including four Glock 9mm pistols and another gun, as well as computers, printers, a scanner, at least 12 armchairs, a TV, fridge, boardroom table, filing cabinets, safe, two-way radios and an alarm system.
The physical assets were sold to the new Unified company for $20,000.
That new Unified company called in administrators in 2008.
In 2012, that company’s administrator reported 12 unsecured creditors owed a total of $1.4 million would receive $51,000 between them. The largest creditor was the Australian Taxation Office, owed about $852,000.
Next was the NSW Office of State Revenue, whose debt was about $264,000.
The ATO was also a creditor in the 2002 restructuring, although the amount owed is unknown.
Unified was one of the companies that provided security at Carlton’s Rydges on Swanston, where many guards and their contacts were infected. The NSW government has also hired the company to help guard a Sydney serviced apartment complex that is full of international arrivals. Yesterday the company defended the performance of its guards, who earn as little as $19.84 an hour.

I think its more to do with preparation, rather than what they are paid personally.

Given the potential for the catastrophe that we are now all dealing with, those hotels needed to be guarded like military checkpoints.

They could have a months preparation and they'd still be woeful for the job.

Best thing to guard military style checkpoints is using real military. Should never have been left to chance with low level security guards.

They had quarantine problems everywhere even NZ, the Victorian ones just happened to include enough bad luck to cause major damage.
Its impossible to try and monitor idiots 24/7

Lets hope they worked out how to fix the leaks because without hotel quarantine we will be an isolated island for years.

Like having Dandemic as "premier"

Not to forget where the first Australian quarantine centres were for returning overseas travellers (Christmas Island and some remote mining camp up North!), before they decided they could manage the risks well enough using CBD hotels.

Like having Dandemic as "premier"
I dont think premiers create or stop badluck

NZ had the English tourists with covid interact with 200 people no spread
Qld had the strawberry picker interact with 250 people no spread
WA had the guy go visit his girlfriend no spread
NSW had the woman go shopping no spread
Dan had a couple of horny security guards ...zombie apocalypse

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Federal government of course, but they couldn't deny Australian citizens their return to the country. It was up to the states then to provide adequate quarantine for them when they arrived. Wouldn't think it would be too hard to lock people in a hotel for two weeks. But I guess when you get the lowest rung of security guards you can.
I don’t disagree with any of that.

But I don’t buy the fact that it is then left up to the states to fend for themselves to organise the quarantining.

I know for a fact that whole offices in NZ Immigration have been asked to change their jobs to help maintain their quarantine effort.

What have the much vaunted Border Force been doing this whole time?

Last edited:
They could have a months preparation and they'd still be woeful for the job.

Best thing to guard military style checkpoints is using real military. Should never have been left to chance with low level security guards.

I agree with this, but the point about pay is irrelevant.

You could be paying those low level security guards $100 an hour and they would still be bored and not taking things seriously ... or know that they need to take things seriously.

Just because they sit there all night and don't have to do anything, doesn't mean their job isn't critical - and this comes back to preparation.

NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian and Chief Health Officer Dr Kerry Chant have strongly recommended the public wear face masks in virus hotspots as well as enclosed spaces, particularly places of worship, hospitality and retail settings.”
Ms Berejiklian recommended people in vulnerable groups should consider wearing a mask at all times.

Will we now see religious leaders deliver their services whilst wearing masks?
Will the religious bodies overseeing standardised health and safety recommendations in the ministries and religious venues they operate, mandate that all staff and religious helpers, including at Saturday/Sunday school, now be compelled to wear acceptable quality/fit for purpose face masks?

Or will they more inclined to close their religious centre and places of worship buildings again?

Very common places for security companies to start up, go out of business, then be replaced by another quick cash earning dodgy business.

It's an industry where probably 10% of the workers are highly skilled but most of them are used in the higher clearance roles which are far more stringent in their interviewing and hiring processes.

I agree with this, but the point about pay is irrelevant.

Well it's relevant in so far as you pay peanuts you get monkeys.

You could be paying those low level security guards $100 an hour and they would still be bored and not taking things seriously ... or know that they need to take things seriously.

If you were paying that kind of money you'd be demanding and getting the best guards available. I know of a company that supplies high level response guards.

70% of them are ex-Police and the rest are still highly professional. They charge more but you get top quality experienced people from them.

Just because they sit there all night and don't have to do anything, doesn't mean their job isn't critical - and this comes back to preparation.

Not preparation, attitude.

Which is why using private security guards was a terrible decision over using ADF or Police.

So I just received a text from a friend who is in a high ranking government position. I'm confident in my source.

Stage 4 restrictions will be implemented at 11:59pm Wednesday. These restrictions will initially encompass the below but are subject to change at any time:
-Retail will now be closed (exemptions for electronic/whitegoods) with hardware stores allowed to service trade customers only
-Exercise is only permitted in local area (no driving to an oval, basketball court, tennis court etc)
-Masturbation is strictly prohibited, ADF personnel will be conducting spot checks to ensure compliance
-Shopping for groceries must be undertaken at nearest possible store

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back