Health Coronavirus 2020 / Worldwide (Stats live update in OP) Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd imagine they would be looking at SA/Vic open borders strongly. Wouldn't be surprised if they said no.
We don't have an open border with SA

Went to the bookstore today to get some books for my boy and there were 50 people in there. Only 3 wearing masks. I haven't been wearing them outdoors, or at the supermarket when I get there late in the evening where there are only 5-10 people in the store. I'm surprised that so few are wearing masks in areas where social distancing is difficult. These are the things we need to do to reduce likelihood of transmission. We didn't think there would be a hotel outbreak, but had we not been so complacent, the pizza store, and high school may never have happened.

South Australia defeats 'Second Wave' within days showing Daniel Andrews what true leadership looks like
I took the time to listen to Dan yesterday and he's very well spoken. I haven't always agreed with him but he was getting absolutely ripped into by that guy from the liberal party and responded very well. I think we all forget just how unprecedented all of this is and that not one single country in the world was adequately prepared for this.

IIRC Marshall hasn't really had to do much. Adelaide is a much different landscape to Melbourne.

NZ's economy fell by 12% double Australia's.

Update: I think I should mention that it is 2020 first half GDP

7% vs 12% Scomo is clearly proud of that stating that our less agressive stance on Covid has resulted in a more resilient economy. I don't think the numbers lie. I've said it all along that hard lockdowns will hurt for a long time.

Measures to contain COVID-19 have led to historically large falls in GDP in many parts of the world, with countries’ results reflecting the nature and timing of their responses, and the structure of their economies. For example, New Zealand’s result compares to falls of 7.0 percent in Australia, 11.5 percent in Canada, 7.9 percent in Japan, 20.4 percent in the United Kingdom, and 9.1 percent in the United States. [Quote/]

Last edited:
Not that I'm blowing my own trumpet here - I'm too fat to reach anyway - but in Feb I got my family taking vitamin D and was discussing it here in March.

The UK has just announced it is supplying free daily vitamin D pills to 2.5 million people...

Contactless tributes* to my perspicacity can be left at my door.

* dog s**t in a flaming envelope is not a tribute

NZ's economy fell by 12% double Australia's.

Update: I think I should mention that it is 2020 first half GDP

7% vs 12% Scomo is clearly proud of that stating that our less agressive stance on Covid has resulted in a more resilient economy. I don't think the numbers lie. I've said it all along that hard lockdowns will hurt for a long time.

1. I'd wait until end of 2020 figures to make a more firm conclusion
2. NZ's economy is more reliant on tourism than we are - that would explain the crushing blow at first
3. Our stance is aggressive compared to the other countries you mentioned (apart from NZ) - I'd argue our border closures and individual states choosing to go hard has resulted in a softer impact on the Australian economy as COVID is virtually non-existent here (touch wood)
4. From what I've seen and read the NZ economy is ticking along quite nicely at the moment

So someone breached their quarantine requirements and went gallavanting around to several shops in Adelaide. Absolute selfishness, and surely they should face a hefty fine at least. Campaigner.

This is what got Melb to 700 per day. People cannot be trusted to do the right thing. Home quarantine does not work, they need to be locked up in a hotel room.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is what got Melb to 700 per day. People cannot be trusted to do the right thing. Home quarantine does not work, they need to be locked up in a hotel room.
It's why Melbourne opening itself back up to international arrivals is a worry. We can trust neither the returnees nor the employees to do the right thing. I'm sure most will, but there's always the chance that there'll be that one that will say, "* it, I'm going to go drive an Uber after this" or "I can't stand staying in this hotel for two weeks - I'm running away", and it only takes one dickhead or one careless individual to see it spread throughout the community again.

Shouldn't even be inner-city hotel quarantine. Should all be shipped off to buildings in remote areas for the two weeks. At least then if they breach quarantine they can't spread it too far.

It's why Melbourne opening itself back up to international arrivals is a worry. We can trust neither the returnees nor the employees to do the right thing. I'm sure most will, but there's always the chance that there'll be that one that will say, "fu** it, I'm going to go drive an Uber after this" or "I can't stand staying in this hotel for two weeks - I'm running away", and it only takes one dickhead or one careless individual to see it spread throughout the community again.

Shouldn't even be inner-city hotel quarantine. Should all be shipped off to buildings in remote areas for the two weeks. At least then if they breach quarantine they can't spread it too far.

It's the logical solution so I think if it hasn't been done, it must be for economic or logistical reasons. Considering the economic and social damage of community spread, though - surely this is a few million dollars we can afford to spare? Maybe it's too hard to send the thousands per week to remote facilities - no suitable quarantine facilities, lack of appropriate staffing, difficulties in supply? I don't know, maybe...

It's why Melbourne opening itself back up to international arrivals is a worry. We can trust neither the returnees nor the employees to do the right thing. I'm sure most will, but there's always the chance that there'll be that one that will say, "fu** it, I'm going to go drive an Uber after this" or "I can't stand staying in this hotel for two weeks - I'm running away", and it only takes one dickhead or one careless individual to see it spread throughout the community again.

Somewhere like Hamilton Island that has a decent air strip to get people in and out, have the staff do FIFO like work blocks only working with the same intake of guests, then rinse and repeat.

Sydney and Qld hotel quarantine has not been a problem.
Incorrect. You just haven't had big outbreaks from breaches.
Same with WA and NZ
Everywhere has had problems with hotel quarantine.

Mainly because hotels are not designed to be medical quarantine facilities

Fascinating in the media that it's gone from blame Daniel Andrews for everything to you can't trust people to do the right thing.

So someone breached their quarantine requirements and went gallavanting around to several shops in Adelaide. Absolute selfishness, and surely they should face a hefty fine at least. Campaigner.
Why is it that whenever there's someone who's tested positive, they always seem to go on an absolute bender? I go out most weekends (and work during the week) but I'd never venture from Boost Juice to Mexican in half an hour, and then go from Norwood (east) to Kurralta Park (south-west) in the same hour. It almost sounds suspicious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back