Health Coronavirus 2020 / Worldwide (Stats live update in OP) Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speaking of which...

Yes they are paying $27 an hour. But:

And yes you can apply for a relocation allowance, just factor in how long it would take to find accommodation in these areas and how much you'd pay, plus all the travel involved, how much would you be out of pocket until (if) the allowance was paid?

The industry has been built around a cheap, easily exploited itinerant workforce, in the drive to be competitive to get supermarket contracts. Its a vicious circle.

We rely on backpackers; the States relies on illegal Mexicans. Same sh*t.
Did fruit picking years ago up near Warburton. And as the people in the 2nd article state it is very poor pay for the hours you put in. Even the fastest pickers would struggle to make minimum wage.

I'm stunned it is legal and can understand other industries get pissed at what the are forced to pay workers when fruit farmers get away with ripping workers off.

Did fruit picking years ago up near Warburton. And as the people in the 2nd article state it is very poor pay for the hours you put in. Even the fastest pickers would struggle to make minimum wage.

I'm stunned it is legal and can understand other industries get pissed at what the are forced to pay workers when fruit farmers get away with ripping workers off.
Hence why its an immigrants job.

shock horror, its not about the money its more about living in australia

All states, including those along the eastern states have done very well, particularly within the last 3 months to keep cases low-0 allowing some level of normality.

I understand states have to be cautious about the prospect of another outbreak, but is it feasible to continuing with arbitrary limits on venues, workplaces etc.

I don't see Australian's being largely vaccinated for best case 12-18 months, worst case 3 + years.

Can we sustain things economically for this long?

It's pricks like this who are going to get us all killed. Its why we can't have nice things.

Get us all killed :drunk::drunk:

Give a few of us the sniffles

Over the past year or so we've all been stumbling around in the dark with this whole ordeal, and all our leaders needed to do was to shine the light and help to guide us out of this. Instead they've been posturing, coming in dry on us, scratching their butts ,enjoying the smell of their own poop might I add, after said picking, and just going against the very people that had elected them there.

It's pricks like this who are going to get us all killed. Its why we can't have nice things.

"Get us all killed"

Hyperbole much?

Fruit picking?

WA have just flown in four plane loads of foreign nationals (Vanuatu) to pick their fruit because the locals won't.

Over 100,000 Australians given exemptions to enter WA from states / territories other than WA since the hard borders were introduced in April last year and not a single one has tested positive for COVID and yet at the moment, Qld, NSW and Vic are locked out with McGowan ignoring his own guidelines with respect to Qld and Vic.

Every case that WA currently has are from people coming in from overseas, off planes and off ships.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is the pay poor because employers take money out to pay for rations and quarters or do the workers have to source and pay for their own shelter and meals?

Is the pay poor because employers take money out to pay for rations and quarters or do the workers have to source and pay for their own shelter and meals?
Usually the farm has a deal with the hostel and only gets workers from there so you have to stay there and get bused in
So you pay rent and food and make virtually no money

When my friend did it for a while over a few different fruits and veg he said you barely made the dole after expenses if you were lucky
The big teams who did it as a permanent/nomadic job had their own caravans, which the farmer would let them park on site and had people cooking and cleaning and others picking and shared the money....they did ok

Dan caved to the unis.

Going to be interesting to see white people complaining about being bused out to remote areas and housed behind wire.

Actually, can see it going the other way - "it's not that bad, the fresh air was lovely and the staff were more than helpful, not sure what the boat people are complaining about" - Karen from Toorak told news.com.au

Usually the farm has a deal with the hostel and only gets workers from there so you have to stay there and get bused in
So you pay rent and food and make virtually no money

When my friend did it for a while over a few different fruits and veg he said you barely made the dole after expenses if you were lucky
The big teams who did it as a permanent/nomadic job had their own caravans, which the farmer would let them park on site and had people cooking and cleaning and others picking and shared the money....they did ok

If you live in a city, pay rent, pay for all you food and utilities how much would a person be left with per week in the end?

I guess that's what it needs t o be compared against.

If you live in a city, pay rent, pay for all you food and utilities how much would a person be left with per week in the end?

I guess that's what it needs t o be compared against.
you would still be paying your rent and the accommodation as it isnt permanent work or you buy a campervan

you would still be paying your rent and the accommodation as it isnt permanent work or you buy a campervan

Yes, but I've seen people posting in various places saying you work hard and end up with $300 to $400 per week. I've just wondered if the figure is after they paid for food and accommodation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back