Health Coronavirus 2020 / Worldwide (Stats live update in OP) Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would suggest that we were in the stage 4 lockdown in the first place because people were pretty much just ignoring the stage 3 restrictions, which was, imo, a direct result of the state government's lack of effort in trying to prevent the BLM rally immediately after the previous lockdown.
We went very quickly from local lockdown to stage 3 to stage 4
They did not wait the full time between steps to see if they were working
In fact the downward trend dates indicated masks were the turning point prior to stage 4

So yes people were doing what they were told

The issue was once it got into the essential workplaces, most prominently aged care and food processing, restrictions couldn't do anything about that

fines are pretty persuasive too
yes fines are a tool but fines only work if people think they are going to get caught, its why you see so many people getting fined

the reality is that the media would focus on the 10-20 people out of 6 million that did something wrong on any given day rather than the vast majority that did the right thing

Yeah, I'm sure you were gutted when they started making choices that validated yours.

Not about my political beliefs whatsoever, they've made choices in the best interests of their population.

The argument that "but Sweden haven't done anything" is simply false, and always has been, because they never lived life as normal, they simply had lesser restrictions and a populace that was much more adherent to recommendations than most Western countries, so didn't need to implement strong restrictions until recently.

It was the Trumpian, Sovereign Citizen, QAnon and Conspiracy types that latched on to Sweden because their political views weren't being validated by other governments, even though Sweden didn't actually validate their views anyway, and Sweden has always been the antithesis of their political views.

I'm genuinely curious why so many people want the anti-lockdown strategy to fail. Sweden et al were effectively the null hypothesis in a global lock down experiment, who actually stuck to their prior pandemic plans rather than throw them out and follow the rest of the world into lockdowns like lemmings. Without them there would be no counter to any argument that lockdowns are the only pandemic solution from here on out.

They've had the worst outcome in terms of deaths of any Scandinavian country, with no real economic advantage. They've now implemented stronger restrictions, after deciding that it would be in the best interests of their population to do so. So what counter argument are they offering?

You're the one who said it was "a shame" they've gone down the paths of other countries, because it doesn't validate your political position. So what's your view, that you'd rather see them stick to their guns to the detriment of the population so long as it validates your position?

So the tennis players are sending a list of demands.

Mate, consider it a privilege we let you into Australia at all. We could have, and can still, tell you to piss off.
We should send a box to tissues to any player having a complain.

It's Google's "fu** You" to the government. Our government, hateful as they are. This is much bigger than Murdoch's papers, hateful as they are. This is about corporate censorship and flagrant abuse of dominant market position, and whether Google can overpower governments beside the US. And the world is watching.

US government has officially told our government to pull its head in because they are not being awesome, cool and grouse to "two US firms", and threatened it "may result in harmful outcomes." Such a move could also "raise concerns with respect to Australia's international trade obligations."

GAGF

absolutely gagging on the hypocrisy here

BTW covid clips on youtube are now back to a few hours to one day old. They were two weeks old yesterday.

news said:
Around 30 percent of those hospitalized with the coronavirus in England were readmitted for treatment within five months of their first release, a new study has found, claiming to shed more light on the “long Covid” phenomenon.
The pre-print study, which has yet to undergo peer review, concluded that those discharged from hospitals after receiving treatment for Covid-19 “face elevated rates of multiorgan dysfunction” and frequently require re-hospitalization, citing nearly 50,000 English patients reviewed in the research.
“Of 47,780 individuals in hospital with Covid-19 over the study period, 29.4 percent were readmitted and 12.3 percent died following discharge,” the paper said, with its authors noting that it is the largest study of its kind to date.
While much about what’s been dubbed “long Covid” or “Post Covid Syndrome” (PCS) – a condition in which symptoms of the virus, sometimes atypical ones, linger for months – remains unknown, a growing body of evidence suggests a large proportion of patients suffer symptoms well beyond their initial infection. Figures provided by the UK’s Office for National Statistics (ONS), for example, indicate that up to one-fifth of England’s coronavirus patients still experience symptoms five weeks after contracting the illness, while half of that number experience them for at least 12 weeks.

Studies on American military veterans showed that some 20 percent of those with Covid-19 had to return to hospital for treatment within 60 days of discharge, while nine percent died. Citing that research, the authors of the UK-based study said that Covid-19 was found to be “associated with increased odds of acute kidney injury, renal replacement therapy, insulin use, pulmonary embolism, stroke, myocarditis, arrhythmia, and elevated troponin.”

hmmm, not often talked about

Study: https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.01.15.21249885v1.full.pdf

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do any of you people actually know anything about the Swedish people and their culture? Like first hand.

And don't give me "I stopped in Stockholm on a contiki there in '98" cause I aint accepting that.

...do you?

Do any of you people actually know anything about the Swedish people and their culture? Like first hand.

And don't give me "I stopped in Stockholm on a contiki there in '98" cause I aint accepting that.
This is Bigfooty, were all the greatest experts in the world. 😅😅

I had a penfriend there when I was 13. Berit Luktvassli. She told me all about the culture in Sw... hang on, she might have been in Norway I think.

<google>

Holy s**t, there she is, on Norwegian facebook. First time I've seen her pic in 40-something years. Whoa.

Carry on.

news said:
Los Angeles authorities place a monthly limit on the number of bodies a crematorium can burn in the city and surrounding areas to preserve air quality.
But the coronavirus pandemic meant there were more bodies in hospital than would normally be allowed to be burned.
The backlog was attributed to fatalities being double what they had been in previous years.
This led the Los Angeles Coroner's office to request a halt to the cremation limits, which was granted by the South Coast Air Quality Management District (AQMD).
As of last Friday, there were more than 2,700 dead bodies lying in wait in hospitals and Coroner's offices across the region.
This is expected to get worse, according to Wayne Nastri, the executive officer of the South Coast AQMD.

That's a lot of unprocessed stiffs. Wonder how many are going to cemeteries?

One in eight people in England are estimated to have had Covid-19 by December last year, according to the latest data from the Office for National Statistics.
Figures estimating a total of 5.4 million people, or 12.1 per cent of the population, would have tested positive for coronavirus antibodies by last month were released as a health boss warned many intensive care units are “already overwhelmed”.

Not about my political beliefs whatsoever, they've made choices in the best interests of their population.

The argument that "but Sweden haven't done anything" is simply false, and always has been, because they never lived life as normal, they simply had lesser restrictions and a populace that was much more adherent to recommendations than most Western countries, so didn't need to implement strong restrictions until recently.

It was the Trumpian, Sovereign Citizen, QAnon and Conspiracy types that latched on to Sweden because their political views weren't being validated by other governments, even though Sweden didn't actually validate their views anyway, and Sweden has always been the antithesis of their political views.

They've had the worst outcome in terms of deaths of any Scandinavian country, with no real economic advantage. They've now implemented stronger restrictions, after deciding that it would be in the best interests of their population to do so. So what counter argument are they offering?

You're the one who said it was "a shame" they've gone down the paths of other countries, because it doesn't validate your political position. So what's your view, that you'd rather see them stick to their guns to the detriment of the population so long as it validates your position?
It is your opinion that a lockdown strategy is in the best interests of a country's citizens. I disagree with that opinion, taking a holistic and long-term view of public health that includes all of the negative effects of lockdowns and other restrictions.

It is an assertion that lockdown is better than no lockdown, but can neither be proved nor disproved. For every Sweden vs rest of Scandinavia that shows a correlation (not proven causation) you could find examples that don't e.g. Florida vs California, Japan vs rest of Asia.

I don't think it's worth discussing further as neither of us are likely to change our position without conclusive proof, which is unobtainable.

It is your opinion that a lockdown strategy is in the best interests of a country's citizens. I disagree with that opinion, taking a holistic and long-term view of public health that includes all of the negative effects of lockdowns and other restrictions.

It is an assertion that lockdown is better than no lockdown, but can neither be proved nor disproved. For every Sweden vs rest of Scandinavia that shows a correlation (not proven causation) you could find examples that don't e.g. Florida vs California, Japan vs rest of Asia.

I don't think it's worth discussing further as neither of us are likely to change our position without conclusive proof, which is unobtainable.

Hospitals in Japan close to collapse as serious Covid cases soar

Experts warn fatalities could rise sharply and call for state of emergency to be extended

Japan reported more than 4,900 coronavirus infections on Monday, with serious cases rising to a record high of 973, local media reported.

Single Covid vaccine dose in Israel 'less effective than we thought'
Surge in infections dampens optimism over country’s advanced immunisation programme
Israel’s coronavirus tsar has warned that a single dose of the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine may be providing less protection than originally hoped, as the country reported a record 10,000 new Covid infections on Monday.

By contrast, those who had received their second dose of the Pfizer vaccine had a six- to 12-fold increase in antibodies, according to data released by Sheba Medical Center in Tel Hashomer on Monday.

The issue of some vaccines being less effective after a single dose rather than two is well known, as well as the fact that protection is not immediate.
While the first dose can take several weeks to promote an effective antibody response, the second dose can trigger different responses, supercharging the protection.
Pfizer itself says a single dose of its vaccine is about 52% effective.

The latest figures for Israel, which has implemented one of the fastest national vaccine efforts, underscore the huge challenges still being faced around the globe even in countries with aggressive coronavirus vaccine programmes.

Already more than 2 million Israelis have had their first Pfizer shot, while 400,000 have had a second.

Hospitals in Japan close to collapse as serious Covid cases soar

Experts warn fatalities could rise sharply and call for state of emergency to be extended

Japan reported more than 4,900 coronavirus infections on Monday, with serious cases rising to a record high of 973, local media reported.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back