Coronavirus 2020 / Worldwide (Stats live update in OP) Part 5

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Continued in Part 6:

Lockdowns and border protection are popular policy. With fear of health risks associated with the vaccines, many people are going to wait it out.

New variants will emerge, so we'll need protection from them before we open up further. Round and round we go.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't see an exit strategy here.

whatever strategy it is, we're very reliant on other countries getting their s**t together. waiting for them to lower their infection rates through vaccines or other measures to keep returning infections low and avoid building any quarantine facilities, and lower the chances of mutation through infection rates.
likely to be dilly-dallying with a rollout of potentially updated next-gen vaccines before much changes.

First and foremost I hope we are sending help to our Indian friends as the US has.

With the ban on arrivals from India, it is not ideal and the stats you cite do question the consistency of the approach but I think whilst the infection in the nation is similar to other countries, the rate of infection in returning people seems to be much worse. Personally, I would probably have just banned dual citizens and permanent residents (who should be banned from every country anyway).

On SM-G570F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Its an interesting concept. I have no idea what the laws state regarding this. Can a country deny someone entry who has citizenship or done the hard yards and paid the taxes to have PR? I feel like this title gives the holder certain rights and I think there will be backlash over what has happened regarding India. Personally I dont believe we should stop people from India coming here, its 20% of the worlds population and pissing off citizens of a country that large whose people have become a huge part of our medical and security industries already, not to mention international students and work visas isnt a good look. Could there be further steps in place to get them home?

I would also love to know what level of corruption there could be in the PCR tests. I can buy a degree in Bangkok for 500 bucks. Are there fake PCR tests already? Or corrupt lab techs who just say the test was negative for a few bucks?

Its an interesting concept. I have no idea what the laws state regarding this. Can a country deny someone entry who has citizenship or done the hard yards and paid the taxes to have PR? I feel like this title gives the holder certain rights and I think there will be backlash over what has happened regarding India. Personally I dont believe we should stop people from India coming here, its 20% of the worlds population and pissing off citizens of a country that large whose people have become a huge part of our medical and security industries already, not to mention international students and work visas isnt a good look. Could there be further steps in place to get them home?

I would also love to know what level of corruption there could be in the PCR tests. I can buy a degree in Bangkok for 500 bucks. Are there fake PCR tests already? Or corrupt lab techs who just say the test was negative for a few bucks?
Can you fine them 60 g and put them in jail for 5 years ?
Dutton came back from the US with Ronna

whatever strategy it is, we're very reliant on other countries getting their sh*t together. waiting for them to lower their infection rates through vaccines or other measures to keep returning infections low and avoid building any quarantine facilities, and lower the chances of mutation through infection rates.
likely to be dilly-dallying with a rollout of potentially updated next-gen vaccines before much changes.

It seems stupid to me to wait rather than build quarantine facilities. I am only out of quarantine for 6 days but have had 5 job offers from friends and old bosses who say they just cant get workers. I am a decent worker and seem to end up in leadership positions whether I want to or not, but my resume reflects more than half my time is spent overseas and I work for a while then leave, not idea but I dont hide it. My friends know this and still offer me work as they say there is no one.

If they build quarantine stations the country could bring in loads of work visa holders. Open it to countries who are likely to work 2 years as 2 years work is like a decade of work in their homeland, not to people who will come and travel for 12 months then go home. Open it for international students. They pay a huge premium to study here and work 20 hours a week in usually low income jobs.

I see it as an opportunity. Do it right and Australia could be seen as THE place to go rather than 1 of a bunch of places people can study or work in from overseas. It could change the view many are forming on Australia.

Pretty embarrassing how we're treating our own citizens if I'm honest. Our reputation on the world stage in regards to how we treat "outsiders" is already rock bottom but now this?

Seems to be popular amongst a lot of people though. Quite sad.
Like everything, people don’t really care unless it affects them

Pretty embarrassing how we're treating our own citizens if I'm honest. Our reputation on the world stage in regards to how we treat "outsiders" is already rock bottom but now this?

This government constantly gets into power telling everyone they will stop brown people getting here

Nepal is no place to come down with teh rona. They're stuffed. The borders up there are pretty porous for the tribespeople (as is most of SE Asia). Tibet may be OK, Bhutan may escape.

Bangladesh is next on the hit list though IMO.

Nepal is no place to come down with teh rona. They're stuffed. The borders up there are pretty porous for the tribespeople (as is most of SE Asia). Tibet may be OK, Bhutan may escape.

Bangladesh is next on the hit list though IMO.

I can't imagine Bangladesh has the infrastructure to even test for it on the scale needed to report accurate numbers, let alone a healthcare system that can handle massive case loads.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Denying citizens who have committed no crime from returning to their own country - and imprisonment on those who try - is morally repugnant in my view, and it should be considered a disgraceful illegitimate action by both sides of politics - your rights as an Australian citizen who has done absolutely nothing wrong must be inalienable. There are legitimate public health reasons for controlling re-entry by citizens, of course, but that is why we have quarantine systems. I hope the government pays for it at the ballot box - but I'm not holding out hope.

I read that Andrew Bolt - Andrew f***ing Bolt of all people - has criticised this action as racist and that the Australian government would not have even considered this if it was the UK in the middle of a devastating wave of COVID. He is absolutely correct (yes, I just vomited in my mouth saying that).

Anyway, just wanted to post that because there didn't seem to be an appropriate SRP thread and I'll retreat from this thread once more. Peace out.

1. People who left Australia during these times knew the risks
2. No sympathy for any of them. Why should the rest of Australias population be put at risk by them?
3. Those stories about waiting 9 months to return home are a joke. I know some people who waited about 2-3 months to get back to Australia but they constantly chased up the embassy travel agents etc. The ones who been 'waiting' 9 months a year etc just want attention but don't actually want to come back

How many of them are locking out citizens? I don't know the answer, but it's made international headline so it can't be many.
Like nowhere else is locking out citizens... for 2 weeks...

Even internally, India is separating families who are in different lockdown zones, parents separated from young children, grandparents left without support. They are taking it seriously, no one can blame us for doing the same.

Like nowhere else is locking out citizens... for 2 weeks...

Even internally, India is separating families who are in different lockdown zones, parents separated from young children, grandparents left without support. They are taking it seriously, no one can blame us for doing the same.
And that’s what quarantine is about. Australian citizens should. Always have the option to come home. If we want to quarantine them then we can do that but we do it on our soil and we provide the quarantine facilities. We’ve had over a year to provide them. The government has failed to do so and is now letting people risk death in another country because of that failure. These Australians pay taxes for our health services. They are being denied what they have paid for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back