Coronavirus 2020 / Worldwide (Stats live update in OP) Part 5

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Continued in Part 6:

In years to come, people will ask about the origins of the annual stripping the shelves of toilet paper tradition.
In years to come I stumble upon a beach front mansion and the owner out the front

I ask 'nice house, what do you do for a living'

He responds 'i owned a toilet paper factory in Melbourne in 2020-2023'

Sent from my CPH2005 using Tapatalk

Traffic controller.....big $$$.....if from what I hear is true. Good on ya!

If you work for the right company - it's a good job for now, but not sure I necessarily want to be doing this for the next decade

Traffic controller on a CFMEU union site is very lucrative. $54-$56 base rate. Hence the "$180k lollipop man!" media beatups a while back.

Clue: if you don't know the right people, even if you're paying $$$ to CFMEU and have the right stickers on your hard hat, you aren't getting that job.

Several traffic control companies talk up "award" rates - yeah, Australian Workers Union award which is around $30/hr less than CFMEU.

Traffic controllers are almost universally "full time casual", here's my rant on the subject from 18 months ago when the subject came up.

It's generally easy work, but it's right at the bottom of the food chain, you are exposed to all weather, and drivers are fwits. I quit after being hit by a car for the third time in 15 months. It is very dangerous and you have to keep your wits about you.

--

My experience of "full time casual". Not as a carefree 20-ish single working in a bar with fu** all else to spend money on other than themselves.

Full time == this is your job, forget how little you can get paid, you're off the government books and you're a positive employment statistic.
Casual ==

• Waiting from 4:30 to 6:00 for a call or txt to find out if you are working tomorrow
  • Don't bother making other plans for tomorrow because if you turn down a shift you won't get any more
  • Keep your phone with you and charged because if you don't respond in 10 minutes its classed as turning it down
  • If they don't call and you make plans and you get a call at 6am because some campaigner hasn't turned up its a problem because if you turn down a shift you won't get any more (although this scenario has a bit of leeway depending on how long you've been there)
  • Drive almost an hour to get to the yard by 5:30am to get a ute and paperwork, drive for an hour to an hour and a half in peak traffic to get to the job
  • The customer has the right to cancel for any reason (weather, delivery missed, whatever) right up until you are physically on site, and you get paid NOTHING*
  • You start to get paid ONLY once you are on site and from the agreed time (doesn't matter if you're early)
  • You are there until the job is finished, with a "mandatory" break of 15 minutes every 2 hours (in 15 months I had exactly zero)
  • Once packed up and the job sheet is signed by the customer, your time stops
  • You then drive an hour to an hour and a half in peak traffic back to the yard
  • Park up, do the paperwork, sort out the tools on the ute etc for the next day
  • Go home
Most common scenario: Get paid 4-6 hours for a 6-9 hour day excluding travel time from/to home
Average week: 18-20 hours
Best week: 46 hours due to being called out and working overnight
Worst week: ZERO
Worst fortnight: ZERO
Worst month: 18 hours

Try budgeting or saving for a rainy day on that.

Good news? After months of struggle Centrelink gave me a Low Income health care card.
Bad news? Eight weeks later they cancelled it because extra shifts bounced me just over the income limit for that specific period.

Stand up for your rights? Make waves? Fail to tell the bosses how wonderful they were? Catch a customer having a bad day and they badmouth you to a sales rep? Fail to bow and scrape and lick the feet of the bosses pet(s)? Turn down shifts while not in the process of actually dying? Tell them in advance you'd like a few days off, not knowing it could be a busy period?

That's all OK. YOU HAVE RIGHTS. You are PROTECTED by legislation. The government has ENSHRINED your wellbeing as a casual worker in legislation. YOU CANNOT BE FIRED WITHOUT CAUSE OR GOING THROUGH A PROCESS.

You'll just miss a couple of shifts next week. Then you'll have one shift the following week. And then you'll be sitting with your phone out wondering why the fu** you're not getting any txts or calls in the late afternoon, and one day you'll pluck up the courage to ring and be told "Oh you're fine, sorry, there's been a downturn and we just don't have any work for you at the moment, hang in there" and for a few days you believe it until the realisation hits that you have no food in the cupboard and no money in the bank and you can no longer afford to be one of the government's full time employment stats.**

* Oh dear its started drizzling. Drive like a fu**en maniac to get to the site before the pin is pulled, so you can qualify for the four hour minimum. Phone rings, offsider says customer has cancelled but get here as quick as you can, I told them you're already here but have nicked off to Maccas to get a coffee. Can't drive any faster so just hope to get there before the customer wises up. This happened to me three times. May explain some tradie ute behaviour in the mornings.
** Fortunately not me, I was one of the rare ones who quit while still getting "plenty" of work, but I saw it happen to many others I worked with daily.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You might not be able to get it until the end of the year Frumpy.
Missus booked in the other day and got it that day. Just appeared at our local joint after it was booked out for months. Just got to keep looking online.

As I said, I'm in no hurry. We won't be flying anywhere and doesn't get me out of lockdowns

Traffic controller on a CFMEU union site is very lucrative. $54-$56 base rate. Hence the "$180k lollipop man!" media beatups a while back.

Clue: if you don't know the right people, even if you're paying $$$ to CFMEU and have the right stickers on your hard hat, you aren't getting that job.

Several traffic control companies talk up "award" rates - yeah, Australian Workers Union award which is around $30/hr less than CFMEU.

Traffic controllers are almost universally "full time casual", here's my rant on the subject from 18 months ago when the subject came up.

It's generally easy work, but it's right at the bottom of the food chain, you are exposed to all weather, and drivers are fwits. I quit after being hit by a car for the third time in 15 months. It is very dangerous and you have to keep your wits about you.

--

My experience of "full time casual". Not as a carefree 20-ish single working in a bar with fu** all else to spend money on other than themselves.

Full time == this is your job, forget how little you can get paid, you're off the government books and you're a positive employment statistic.
Casual ==

• Waiting from 4:30 to 6:00 for a call or txt to find out if you are working tomorrow
  • Don't bother making other plans for tomorrow because if you turn down a shift you won't get any more
  • Keep your phone with you and charged because if you don't respond in 10 minutes its classed as turning it down
  • If they don't call and you make plans and you get a call at 6am because some campaigner hasn't turned up its a problem because if you turn down a shift you won't get any more (although this scenario has a bit of leeway depending on how long you've been there)
  • Drive almost an hour to get to the yard by 5:30am to get a ute and paperwork, drive for an hour to an hour and a half in peak traffic to get to the job
  • The customer has the right to cancel for any reason (weather, delivery missed, whatever) right up until you are physically on site, and you get paid NOTHING*
  • You start to get paid ONLY once you are on site and from the agreed time (doesn't matter if you're early)
  • You are there until the job is finished, with a "mandatory" break of 15 minutes every 2 hours (in 15 months I had exactly zero)
  • Once packed up and the job sheet is signed by the customer, your time stops
  • You then drive an hour to an hour and a half in peak traffic back to the yard
  • Park up, do the paperwork, sort out the tools on the ute etc for the next day
  • Go home
Most common scenario: Get paid 4-6 hours for a 6-9 hour day excluding travel time from/to home
Average week: 18-20 hours
Best week: 46 hours due to being called out and working overnight
Worst week: ZERO
Worst fortnight: ZERO
Worst month: 18 hours

Try budgeting or saving for a rainy day on that.

Good news? After months of struggle Centrelink gave me a Low Income health care card.
Bad news? Eight weeks later they cancelled it because extra shifts bounced me just over the income limit for that specific period.

Stand up for your rights? Make waves? Fail to tell the bosses how wonderful they were? Catch a customer having a bad day and they badmouth you to a sales rep? Fail to bow and scrape and lick the feet of the bosses pet(s)? Turn down shifts while not in the process of actually dying? Tell them in advance you'd like a few days off, not knowing it could be a busy period?

That's all OK. YOU HAVE RIGHTS. You are PROTECTED by legislation. The government has ENSHRINED your wellbeing as a casual worker in legislation. YOU CANNOT BE FIRED WITHOUT CAUSE OR GOING THROUGH A PROCESS.

You'll just miss a couple of shifts next week. Then you'll have one shift the following week. And then you'll be sitting with your phone out wondering why the fu** you're not getting any txts or calls in the late afternoon, and one day you'll pluck up the courage to ring and be told "Oh you're fine, sorry, there's been a downturn and we just don't have any work for you at the moment, hang in there" and for a few days you believe it until the realisation hits that you have no food in the cupboard and no money in the bank and you can no longer afford to be one of the government's full time employment stats.**

* Oh dear its started drizzling. Drive like a fu**en maniac to get to the site before the pin is pulled, so you can qualify for the four hour minimum. Phone rings, offsider says customer has cancelled but get here as quick as you can, I told them you're already here but have nicked off to Maccas to get a coffee. Can't drive any faster so just hope to get there before the customer wises up. This happened to me three times. May explain some tradie ute behaviour in the mornings.
** Fortunately not me, I was one of the rare ones who quit while still getting "plenty" of work, but I saw it happen to many others I worked with daily.

Pretty much what you said above

I haven't had an actual lunch break the last 3 weeks - basically the only shifts I've had where I've been able to have a lunch break or even make use of a public bathroom is when working for Geelong Council

Work an 11+ hour shift last week, plus 30 minute travel time to & from the site - no breaks, not even a toilet break. I did notice on my payslip though that I got a meal allowance for that shift 🙄. I also nearly got hit by a car after sunset and it was getting dark; I'm in my day/night gear but this car didn't have their headlights on so only saw me at the last moment. Reflective tape is only good if folks actually turn the lights on in their car

I may have also pissed someone off in the office - was in the middle of a 9.75 hour shift last Monday (my first day on this particular site but the 2 regulars had been working that site for a couple of months and had been doing 9/10 hours shifts up to 6 days a week). So I get notification to say I'm being put on call for that night which just wasn't suitable & against protocols after working the length of shift I was on

Told them no, but it was already too late to get a shift for Tuesday because I was added to the on call roster

This afternoon I declined my next shift which was to start at 11:30pm on Monday - I'm still rather new & have no night whites, and after last week's near miss I have no desire to work a full night shift until I'm ready and have adequate ppe available

If you can get on a unionised site then all good pay wise - but working as a casual I'm not exactly building up the retirement fund

Well well well, no suprise the biggest closet support of lockdown has shown.
I know your ulterior motive Chief with the slow death of web based forums (which is a shame as I enjoy BF). You rather see Australia locked down in hope to have more people clicking and logging on this site so you make more revenue from the advertisement since 11 million people currently in Australia can't enjoy normal life.
You're opinion is invalid since you hope to make more revenue from the governments mismanagement.
Oooh, the rare spotted loon makes an appearance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back