Health Coronavirus 2020 / Worldwide (Stats live update in OP) Part 6

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
that's very simplistic if not entirely wrong. mental illness is often mischaracterised in the sense that being sad = depression. however prolonged periods of low-mood will lead to depression, and high-anxiety is linked to almost every severe psychological disorder. and surely you're not contending that depression that "relates to external events" (does anything in the world not relate to some kind of "external event"??) isn't legitimate?
No, its legitimate, and can be significant, but is it `mental illness`? A normal psychological response to stress is unpleasant, and maybe some people need help dealing with it, but its not not illness per se.

An anxiety disorder, and experiencing anxiety due to lockdown are not the same thing. Although, if you have an anxiety disorder, lockdown could well make it worse, but so could a global pandemic.

People are stating that lockdown causes people to be depressed and anxious, and equating that to some sort of mental health epidemic, but it isn't, its just a population that's miserable, but not necessarily unwell mentally. Being sad because your dog died is normal, not depression.

So you’re taking the dictionary over the countries leading authority on mental illness. Cool.

Also if someone said to you “I’m suffering from anxiety” or “I’m suffering from depression” would you tell them to buck up it’s probably just a phase? Cause that’s absolutely what you’re implying.
Isn't inherently. This is the relevant bit. You can have an anxiety disorder, or you may be so anxious about upcoming exams, you cannot sleep. People talk about both as `anxiety`, but one is a mental illness, and one isn't. Responding with anxiety, to situations that would generally be expected to make people anxious, is not generally, an illness. Like being caught in a lockdown.

Isn't inherently. This is the relevant bit. You can have an anxiety disorder, or you may be so anxious about upcoming exams, you cannot sleep. People talk about both as `anxiety`, but one is a mental illness, and one isn't. Responding with anxiety, to situations that would generally be expected to make people anxious, is not generally, an illness. Like being caught in a lockdown.
No one but you is talking about exams and speeches.

Prime Minister Scott Morrison has foreshadowed reopening of borders when vaccination rates hit 80 per cent but the hopes of scores of Australians trying to get home before Christmas have been shattered by the cancellation of a slew of Singapore Airlines flights scheduled over the next three months.
The airline delivered the bad news to passengers on Monday night as international flights set for the final three months of the year were called off.
The latest cancellations from regional hub Singapore itself and other destinations delivered an additional blow just as the federal government had begun talking up reopening.

FMD some real armchair Psychology from people who clearly have zero experience with, or formal education on the subject.

Have first hand experience with people whose anxiety or depression started off with something others would consider "trivial" and snowball into not being able to function in society within a six month period.

Denmark - Lifts all restrictions at 73% fully vaccinated
Australia - We shall not be letting people travel freely until we hit 90%.

Greatest country on earth!
I'm watching Denmark with a lot of interest because they are a lot smaller than the US or UK but I think they also have better healthcare than we do so...

Lowest suicide rates would indicate that less people have committed suicide, has nothing to do with how many people are experiencing depression or anxiety.

Last year a lot of welfare recipients got lifted out of poverty by the covid supplement. Poverty is a big driver for suicide, debt collectors (robodebt for example) not being able to afford meds, food, rent etc

Like paying people on welfare above the poverty line would do so much to help reduce suicide, it puts more money back into the economy dollar for dollar than tax cuts for the rich, and back into tax coffers.

People can actually afford treatment for mental and physical illnesses, they are more likely to be able to afford to get a job, the biggest lie we get told is that punishing people on welfare gets them working again and paying them more would do the opposite.
I get the feeling the Mental health and suicide issue will be a bit of a long burn. We are probably going to have PTSD issues when it's all said and done.
It's going to be a long term thing to look at amongst a bunch of other stuff.

Hearing that there’s a lot of Ballarat businesses that have to close as staff having to go get tested being exposed to sites that are very popular.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I get the feeling the Mental health and suicide issue will be a bit of a long burn. We are probably going to have PTSD issues when it's all said and done.
It will be there for years

We just had a AEU (Australian Education Union) meeting and the general consensus is that teachers don't want to come back onsite in term 4 as they have concerns with getting the virus. Call me sceptical but I suspect a bunch of them have grown comfortable with their remote learning set up and are just finding excuses to not have to come back.

Personally, I think that the schools need to open up in term 4 or at the very least, prep to grade 2 and year 11/12 students. Should we lose half of term 4, that will be approximately half 2021 lost to Covid in addition to all that time lost last year as well.

Businesses left to separate the jabbed from the jabbed-nots
Companies will need to grapple with the near-certainty that vaccinated staff won’t want to be sitting next to unvaccinated workers.

We just had a AEU (Australian Education Union) meeting and the general consensus is that teachers don't want to come back onsite in term 4 as they have concerns with getting the virus. Call me sceptical but I suspect a bunch of them have grown comfortable with their remote learning set up and are just finding excuses to not have to come back.

Personally, I think that the schools need to open up in term 4 or at the very least, prep to grade 2 and year 11/12 students. Should we lose half of term 4, that will be approximately half 2021 lost to Covid in addition to all that time lost last year as well.
My nephew's a teacher he does a few days a week looking after the kids who cant stay home
He hates being home and would rather sit in a class ...he has done this from the start ...double vaxed now

I mean we've already got mass trauma. Lockdown fatigue isn't just weariness.

Lockdowns are getting harder because of our existing damage.

Businesses left to separate the jabbed from the jabbed-nots
Companies will need to grapple with the near-certainty that vaccinated staff won’t want to be sitting next to unvaccinated workers.

Who are these vaccinated snowflakes that want to be permanently segregated from the lepers, and why are they beating the drum the rest of us have to march to?

I presume they have no intention of ever going into an essential public space or travelling overseas.

No, its legitimate, and can be significant, but is it `mental illness`? A normal psychological response to stress is unpleasant, and maybe some people need help dealing with it, but its not not illness per se.

An anxiety disorder, and experiencing anxiety due to lockdown are not the same thing. Although, if you have an anxiety disorder, lockdown could well make it worse, but so could a global pandemic.

People are stating that lockdown causes people to be depressed and anxious, and equating that to some sort of mental health epidemic, but it isn't, its just a population that's miserable, but not necessarily unwell mentally. Being sad because your dog died is normal, not depression.
Do you think what we are going through is normal?
Are you in Melbourne or Sydney or are you another WA expert on the mental health impacts of long lockdowns?

Do you think what we are going through is normal?
Are you in Melbourne or Sydney or are you another WA expert on the mental health impacts of long lockdowns?
Pure speculation on my part, but I reckon mentally we're preconditioned to cope with death, particularly of older generations. It's something that everyone will deal with at some stage of their life.

Forced isolation on the other hand is something that we aren't equipped to deal with since we're social animals deep down.

Pure speculation on my part, but I reckon mentally we're preconditioned to cope with death, particularly of older generations. It's something that everyone will deal with at some stage of their life.

Forced isolation on the other hand is something that we aren't equipped to deal with since we're social animals deep down.
Oh yeah forced isolation.
How about that industrial prison complex.

I've seen people comparing whatnwe are going through to prison. It's not, not even close.

Hope it makes people think about what our current system does to people though.

Or the people in indefinite mandatory detention.

My wife is a high school teacher. Basically her day consists of responding to emails and calls from students feeling sad and overwhelmed. Most have lost interest and really cbf anymore with the situation. She tries to be positive and keep them engaged but it’s becoming untenable. She‘s double vaxxed and wants to get back to class as she genuinely cares for her students welfare. Dan though will probably ‘take advice’ from the militant union types and their doomsday scenarios and go with that. It’s ******* s**t.

Oh yeah forced isolation.
How about that industrial prison complex.

I've seen people comparing whatnwe are going through to prison. It's not, not even close.

Hope it makes people think about what our current system does to people though.

Or the people in indefinite mandatory detention.
It not being the same as prison doesn’t diminish the difficulty of it. Comparing our current lockdowns to max security prison or detention is about as useful as telling someone with a broken arm that cancer is worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back