Coronavirus 2020 / Worldwide (Stats live update in OP) Part 7: This Thread is for Reasonable ON TOPIC Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

In the peak fortnight of the outbreak to date (25 August to 7 September), the COVID-19 case rate among 2-dose vaccinated people was 49.5 per 100,000 while in unvaccinated people it was 561 per 100,000, a more than 10-fold difference. The rates of COVID-19 ICU admissions or deaths peaked in the fortnight 8 September to 21 September at 0.9 per 100,000 in 2-dose vaccinated people compared to 15.6 per 100,000 in unvaccinated people, a greater than 16-fold difference.

Last edited:

The clip of the protestors breaking through police lines and one man putting down four or five cops on the run has gone viral. It's hugely embarrassing for Vicpol and it would have given Andrews a bit of a fright. I think they're going to regret their rubber bullets and general heavy handedness.

I don't agree with the protests at this point but at the same time I'm torn because I've seen police behaviour that I really don't like and had quiet thoughts that maybe it's not a bad thing they got schooled by the people yesterday.

Even if it all was mostly a bad thing.

Invitations to book a Covid booster jab will be sent to 1.5million people in England this week.

Those who are eligible for a booster include:

• those living in residential care homes for older adults
  • all adults aged 50 years or over
  • frontline health and social care workers
  • all those aged 16 to 49 years with underlying health conditions that put them at higher risk of severe Covid-19, and adult carers
  • adult household contacts of immunosuppressed individuals

Texts will start going out from tomorrow, with letters also being sent later this week.

People will either receive one dose of the Pfizer vaccine or half a dose of the Moderna vaccine. NHS England said millions more invites will be issued in the coming days and weeks.

The criteria and assumptions used for that modeling done for Victoria are absolutely terrible. It looks like it’s been done by a 1st year maths Uni student.

This thread explains it well:

Hopefully this gets brought up tomorrow now that info like this is digested.
I doubt it but would be nice for some accountability and context to decision making on the 'modelling'.

I live in Melbourne so the point I was making was strictly about the Melbourne BLM protest (and other related protests that involve groups that are aligned and associated with the Vic Labor government such as tradies' Unions) under a Labor government.

I wasn't aware of what took place in the Sydney BLM protests but it doesn't surprise in the least bit and backs up my point even further; that cops are acting more or less as guard dogs for their respective governments, regardless of whether they're Liberal or Labor. Which means that how cops respond to these protests are unfortunately often guided by the ideology of political party that is in office.

It makes complete sense what happened in Sydney since it is a Liberal government and the coppers there do the bidding of corrupt Liberal pieces of sh*t like Barilaro who had the hide to send cops to arrest someone who was being critical of him on social media and cops dutifully followed these orders without question.

This is something that should worry everyone who values democracy and the independence of police, which is being eroded whenever their members are shamelessly used as political tools for the current government.
Independence of Police lol. They are and have always been the enforcers for their governments.

The incarceration rates of First Nations people, especially women in Vic has gone up massively under Andrews
He's building more prisons, he can fine a cool $28mil for a new police station but not in funding for Aborignal Legal Aid in VIC
This idea that he's more friendly to the BLM protests because he's Labor and not Liberal is one of those things that doesn't really match up to what he does in Government.

What he says doesn't mean s**t compared to his actions

In regards to community sport, I wonder if you will have to be fully vaccinated to be able to participate.

In regards to community sport, I wonder if you will have to be fully vaccinated to be able to participate.
Certainly for Darts and Pool down the local watering hole.

Community Sport clubs that have their monthly coach/manager/RTO meets and more frequent Exec/Committee/sub-committee meetings at the local club/pub (possibly a team sponsor club/pub) might need to offer a hybrid face and online meeting to allow everyone to attend.

Are you suggesting that hasn't been the case before now?
I haven’t heard of it.

And what is a “Covid hospitalisation”?

Hospitalised because of Covid? In hospital with Covid?

What do you think it means?

Are your feelings still hurt from that? So much for being the tough guy…
umm what... Hurt feelings from a post? Geez you have some superior complex going on.

Everyone here knows you enjoy Australia's current situation, it brings everyone's life down to your own miserable one. We understand that you're scared that life is reverting back to normal (too slowly) and you've started lashing out at posters because once it's back to normal you'll be forgotten.

I'm ok with your constant shots at me, if that what it takes for you to accept that everyone will be enjoying life without you. I'll accept the responsibility

I haven’t heard of it.

And what is a “Covid hospitalisation”?

Hospitalised because of Covid? In hospital with Covid?

What do you think it means?
Number of hospitalised patients with Covid is reported as if all of those people were sick enough from Covid that they required hospital treatment, but it also includes people who are in hospital for any reason and have tested Covid positive (and everyone is tested upon admission).

Media and government don't publicise the distinction, so this overstates the strain that Covid is putting on hospital resources.

Can't find an Australian report on this but I'd be shocked if we were recording any different to other countries.

US:

UK:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Number of hospitalised patients with Covid is reported as if all of those people were sick enough from Covid that they required hospital treatment, but it also includes people who are in hospital for any reason and have tested Covid positive (and everyone is tested upon admission).

Media and government don't publicise the distinction, so this overstates the strain that Covid is putting on hospital resources.

Can't find an Australian report on this but I'd be shocked if we were recording any different to other countries.

US:

UK:
Do they count home hospitalisation as hospitalised ?

Alan Kohler argues that Australia’s COVID response could’ve been much better had the Federal government put its foot down and taken charge instead of allowing the states to run their own shows. I reckon he’s got a point.

Alan Kohler argues that Australia’s COVID response could’ve been much better had the Federal government put its foot down and taken charge instead of allowing the states to run their own shows. I reckon he’s got a point.

Scomo was just trying to shift blame and not lead
Try and avoid the bad news and be there for the good

Community Sport clubs that have their monthly coach/manager/RTO meets and more frequent Exec/Committee/sub-committee meetings at the local club/pub (possibly a team sponsor club/pub) might need to offer a hybrid face and online meeting to allow everyone to attend.

A guy from my cricket club suggested you might have to be double vaccinated to buy a beer in the club room after the game.

His suggestion got a few hostile responses.

Yeah I agree, The state premiers have proven that don't have Australians best interest at heart.

Queensland’s “super Pfizer weekend” has likely taken the state over the 60 per cent first dose milestone and, with more people getting vaccinated in the state than in Covid-ravaged NSW over the two days, it could make for a very merry Christmas.

The criteria and assumptions used for that modeling done for Victoria are absolutely terrible. It looks like it’s been done by a 1st year maths Uni student.

This thread explains it well:

Creatively modelled to make Dan look like a hero when it doesn't eventuate. No real shock, as usual a pollie spends a heap of taxpayer money on a rigged survey to get an outcome to justify what he was already going to do. Bit like his inquiry that failed to ask any tough questions or check any facts.

On SM-G570F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Would I be correct in saying that the hospital system in Vic (& NSW) is under pressure due to the vaccine rollout? I mean we have 50+ state run hubs presumably fully staffed with medical personnel. The one I went to last week in the city had at least 60-80 staff working.

You’d expect come mid November when we hit 80% double dose that these hubs can be scaled back significantly and redirected back into hospitals. Obviously there will still be pressure on the system but there’s currently 1000’s of staff tied up in the rollout right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back