Coronavirus 2020 / Worldwide (Stats live update in OP) Part 8: This Thread is for Reasonable ON TOPIC Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

They get paid pretty well IMO, especially in the early years. You begin on over $60k as a fresh grad, and are on over $80k within 5 years which is decent money for someone <30. The issue is that pay usually caps out at around $100k and unless you move into a higher paid leadership position, there's no motivation to improve as a teacher once you reach that level.
I think the some of the really good teachers would be underpaid if they don’t manage to end up at some big private school.

Then on the contrary there’s some real shithouse ones sleepwalking their way through things for years on a decent whack.

I don’t get the constant complaints about their wages. They’ve gotten much better in recent times. I went to a pretty decent school and so many of the teachers weren’t impressive at all and some serious morons had worked their way up to high paying leadership roles. Sure dealing with kids might be a pain but it’s a job you can get a decent wage for and basically lock yourself into doing for years with not much changing.

Of course they’re bound to be capped out working in a job where there’s limited room for growth unless you end up a leader. Completely different to some finance gig for example.

Y

You cant slow Omicron down without lockdowns, or investing in p2 masks and goggles and extreme conditions. Mcgowan had 2 years to get ready.

Vic and NSW both had these outbreaks start when their respective states were only around 25 - 30% double dose vaccinated for 16+ year olds. WA is almost 90% double dose vaccinated for 12+ year olds. If he's too s**t scared to open now in the hottest part of the year then he'll never open.

Yeah I realised the other day I’d barely taken a day off since mid 2020.

Taken the odd day now but even I have nothing on the horizon which can chew up some days.

Even trips in Australia can be dicey right now even despite it being easier to get there. Lot of dead places, closed bars etc.

Just hoping when travel is more normal again I’m allowed to use a large amount of it at once.

I know every man and his dog will have the same idea but surely everyone is due some respite after all of this.

Maybe not the healthiest thing but honestly if I was forced to sit at home on leave during the last 2 years I would have hated it.

I'm on the other end of the scale. I've burnt through all of my long service leave, most of my sick leave and have 2 weeks of annual leave at half pay left. I will run out on 15 February.

I go away to WA, quarantine for 2 weeks, work for 13 to 17 weeks then come home. Each time I'm home I get stuck for months.

Vic and NSW both had these outbreaks start when their respective states were only around 25 - 30% double dose vaccinated for 16+ year olds.
You are talking about the Delta outbreak that revved up in NSW in June 2021?

Or the Omicron outbreak that started in NSW in Dec 2021?

Not it's not.
Where are you getting your BS science from?

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/na...s/news-story/e37970109cce199bb487c9879e02cca3
'JANUARY 19, 2022
Mr Morrison said pressures on the nation’s supply chain were being weighed against new medical advice that found 30 per cent of cases to be still infectious after five days.'

n this study its a little over. You would always err on the side of caution which SA have done with 10 days.

My point was the 14 days is stupid because the median incubation period is 3 days.

you sure it's not parents who can't afford to be home... not the government...

The government could financially support workers (as they did during 2020) to stay home for at least a couple of weeks until more kids are vaccinated/more boosters have been given. But they have stepped away from managing the pandemic to 'let it rip'.

A lot of non-teachers in here pontificating on what a teacher's life is like and what they would do if they were a teacher.

One thing that is overlooked in this discussion is the effect on student outcomes. What people, especially politicians, don't want to admit is that academic outcomes have barely been affected over the past two years. Even less palatable for politicians and the average #newscorpse consumer is the fact that most evidence suggests that serious mental health issues in adolescents and young adults have actually been decreased by lockdowns, not increased.

As a teacher, the key point that has not been discussed is the fact that positive teaching is largely relational. In order to allow kids to learn, a teacher has to put the most effort into developing a positive relationship and rapport with each student to have any chance of allowing them to learn effectively - it has been shown by plenty of research that I won't post here for non-educators. That is why you remember the teachers who 'got' you and still remember what they taught you.

Bringing in retired teachers and/or CRT's has absolutely nothing to do with student wellbeing or educational outcomes. Both of these would be better served by students having a continuous learning experience with a single teacher skilled in their subject area, whether that is face-to-face (optimal) or online.

The decision to start students back on the current unaltered date is a clearly and purely economic decision; the language of politicians does not even hide that fact. The government (especially the federal LNP government) desperately needs the meat back in the proverbial economic grinder prior to the upcoming election, and can't afford to have parents home looking after kids who are learning online.

I have great respect for retired teachers and/or CRT's, but them turning up to teach a room full of kids they don't know is not going to help them learn more effectively - they are babysitters for the economy, nothing more. Teacher's realise they are being thrown to the wolves by starting in just over a week's time, but most of them will turn up because they love their jobs and care about the kids.

If the government was serious, they would have fully addressed the OH & S issues surrounding the airborne transmission of the virus within the classroom setting. Ventilation audits would have been carried out and adjustments made. All classrooms would have HEPA filters available. N95 masks would be freely available for all students/teachers. Infrastructure (permanent or temporary) to allow outdoor lessons would have been arranged; in the Spanish Flu outbreak over a hundred years ago, students in New York city sat outside all winter in woollen poncho's provided by the City of New York. RA tests would be available to manage any outbreaks safely and limit the spread of the virus within school communities (and to the parents/grandparents of students and teachers).

But none of this has happened because, you know, 'it's the economy, stupid'.
Almost everything I've read, heard anecdotally from teachers, family and friends and seen from my own kids school in the past two years says remote schooling was s**t house and no one wants to go back to it.

Hence 0,000s of extra school refusers

Maybe the Canadians you referenced had better mental health, but it simply wasn't the case with the harsh nature of our lockdowns in Melbourne.

The bigger concern is the jump in self harm though as it's often a precursor to much worse 😔

Although admittedly most of my friends and family who are city workers do enjoy the WFH life balance they gained.

I do agree that the government should have been better prepared for term one this year though. Almost like they thought it was all over once we hit 90% double vaxxed.

Almost everything I've read, heard anecdotally from teachers, family and friends and seen from my own kids school in the past two years says remote schooling was sh*t house and no one wants to go back to it.

Hence 0,000s of extra school refusers

Maybe the Canadians you referenced had better mental health, but it simply wasn't the case with the harsh nature of our lockdowns in Melbourne.

The bigger concern is the jump in self harm though as it's often a precursor to much worse 😔

Although admittedly most of my friends and family who are city workers do enjoy the WFH life balance they gained.

I do agree that the government should have been better prepared for term one this year though. Almost like they thought it was all over once we hit 90% double vaxxed.
Not wanting to do it and it not being a viable option are two different things.

They’ve had a mystery case today whose been out an about.
The genies out of the bottle now, may as well stick to the plan and open up like the rest of us.

It's WA, they'll somehow luck upon it not spreading unlike everywhere else, then claim it's somehow due to good management.

So McGowan has basically admitted they don't have the ability to deal with an outbreak which we already knew.

Clearly he's not invested in what he needs to have in place to deal with cases in the community and he's continuing to hold out.

Unlike NSW and Vic he's not had his hand forced by community spread, or other states where economic impact/pressure from voters/media was strong.

So he can still afford to do things his own way but I get the feeling that if it does get in he's going to be in a world of pain

So McGowan has basically admitted they don't have the ability to deal with an outbreak which we already knew.

Clearly he's not invested in what he needs to have in place to deal with cases in the community and he's continuing to hold out.

Unlike NSW and Vic he's not had his hand forced by community spread, or other states where economic impact/pressure from voters/media was strong.

So he can still afford to do things his own way but I get the feeling that if it does get in he's going to be in a world of pain

Friends of mine from WA (that live over East) are furious this morning, quite a few had booked flights for that first week open re-opening that he's been promising for months.

I get the sense they're almost hoping for them to cop the same superspreading events every other state has had happen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Friends of mine from WA (that live over East) are furious this morning, quite a few had booked flights for that first week open re-opening that he's been promising for months.

I get the sense they're almost hoping for them to cop the same superspreading events every other state has had happen.
Yeah it's ****ed

The thing that shits me and this is across every state

Nobody is asking the States what they are doing to fix the healthcare system long term, or calling them on their bullshit its fine lines

The thing that shits me and this is across every state

Nobody is asking the States what they are doing to fix the healthcare system long term, or calling them on their bullshit its fine lines

I for one can't imagine how running a healthcare system close to capacity at all times could possibly be a problem.

Just tested myself as I have a cold. Is this a positive result?View attachment 1313364
Got my PCR test results back this morning, a little over 24 hours, came back POSITIVE. Has ruined my whole long weekend. Had 5 days off, was going away, weather is going to be amazing, going back to work next Thursday. Now stuck at home until then. Always careful and hygienic. Not sure where I could have caught it. Gutted.

If they weren't originally from over West, they probably would have never booked those flights until at least a couple of weeks after the original opening date of 05 February, it's madness to do otherwise.

Got my PCR test results back this morning, a little over 24 hours, came back POSITIVE. Has ruined my whole long weekend. Had 5 days off, was going away, weather is going to be amazing, going back to work next Thursday. Now stuck at home until then. Always careful and hygienic. Not sure where I could have caught it. Gutted.

That sucks mate. I just had a mini getaway last week, but was a little stressed when everytime I would go out the week before, eg went to the cinema. Maybe not stressed but certainly played on my mind. Anyway I've got my little holiday and ready to return to work on Monday. I know It's a bit silly worrying about getting it so my holiday isn't ruined because I should just be worried about getting it for health reasons, but I think that I've got it in my head that it's inevitable so no point worrying about it. Anyway hopefully you don't get it too bad and recover quickly.

we had to cancel our little get away a couple of weeks ago because we all got covid

its a real mess right now, half of the Jan holidays activities had to be dropped, we managed to keep a few for once we got better

hopefully it doesn't knock you about too much

Feel for our WA bretheren, absolute gut check this announcement.

Unless youre a dyed in the wool McGowan supporter and still think hes doing the best thing, in that case, you made your bed.
I'd say that most of them are insular enough that they aren't really impacted enough to care.

The bali crew probably the most pissed off out of the general punter

Remove this Banner Ad

Back