Health Coronavirus 2020 / Worldwide (Stats live update in OP)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Private work to me means moving very wealthy people to where they would like to be with as little fuss and hindrance as possible.

That's a job for the guys that have already retired from the SAS or the Paras and that don't already work in protection for Middle East Sheiks and Princes. This country ain't that corrupted that serving soldiers can get paid to move James Packer to his doomsday bunker in New Zealand.

Someone's been watching too many movies.

I think Sweden's approach to date, unlike ours and even more in so many other countries, has been measured, responsible and reasonable. Despite what certain others in this thread have suggested, I agree that there is a somewhat higher risk than a typical influenza from this virus because it is new, but not by enough to be truly significant. What is now happening is that systems that already get regularly overrun during bad influenza seasons are getting overrun again, and also have to deal with the added stress of human intervention - people desperately seeking to be tested, mass panic, people being isolated and the mental health problems that pop up from it, and the like. It is a good thing that attention is being drawn to how limited many countries' capacity for a medical crisis is.

However, those same health systems will now also have less capacity to deal with other health crises that will come up in future, as governments will seek to cut spending to pay for the enormous stimulus packages put together as a result of shutting everything down.

This is simply the conclusion I have drawn from the available information, including the opinions of 'experts' who are not in lock step with the alleged consensus.

Is there a possibility that things will change? Sure. But it is unlikely on the evidence presented so far.

I am inferring from this that you think this shut down is over the top and that the difference in risk between this and the regular flu is not 'truly significant', at least not enough to warrant the worldwide response?

I simply do not agree with that line of reasoning and that countries like the US are going to pay dearly for treating it like a bad flu. I was one of those that subscribed to the philosophy at the start that the shutdowns are not reasonable.

I guess we'll see at the end of this who's right - and I dearly hope you are.

It's a real issue. If I get coronavirus there is a pretty good chance I won't require hospitalisation and a near certain chance I won't die. This doesn't mean I'm not going to follow government advice for the sake of those that are at real risk. Like with Speaker above - do you think these measures are unreasonable and over the top?
People whinging about the beach, a wide open space having people there when shops are packed. Ridiculous to me

Ive been vocal the cure to this is worse than the disease. Lifeline going to be overrun more than ERs. Sad reality. Im still following the rules, home unless work or groceries but yeah i do think we are going too far. So many people losing their jobs, will get evicted. Suicide will skyrocket for a 0.4% mortality rate...

No one should die, i dont wish ill to anyone ever but we will ruin more lives than we save with this reaction.

People whinging about the beach, a wide open space having people there when shops are packed. Ridiculous to me

Ive been vocal the cure to this is worse than the disease. Lifeline going to be overrun more than ERs. Sad reality. Im still following the rules, home unless work or groceries but yeah i do think we are going too far. So many people losing their jobs, will get evicted. Suicide will skyrocket for a 0.4% mortality rate...

No one should die, i dont wish ill to anyone ever but we will ruin more lives than we save with this reaction.

That's because things haven't got really bad yet (hopefully they don't). Until they do, many people won't understand because they have never been exposed to such a situation. Most of us lack a frame of reference/prior experience to envisage how bad it might be in a month or so.

You know in Spain people in Nursing Homes were left to die in their beds, abandoned by their carers. Not saying that will happen here, but it could if things go badly.

Global fatality rate of closed cases was at 16% this morning. I'm not expecting 280,000 suicides from this.

I see a lot of people running with that 'but suicides will skyrocket' malarkey. It's clearly bullshit. The giveaway is that the people saying it don't have any actual concern for society and tend to side with the RWNJ consensus on other topics.

Global fatality rate of closed cases was at 16% this morning. I'm not expecting 280,000 suicides from this.
Im talking about Australia. Wont get a very high mortality here. Take deaths from poor countries or poor health systems out.

Also, unconfirmed cases worldwide, of which there would be hundreds of thousands brings that 16% down

It’s shown how to be controlled unfortunately to many do gooders in this country.

Temp tests everywhere
Advanced tracking for quarantine.

Westerners are selfish and have proven continually in all countries to flaunt the rules.

You need to enforce hard and strong.

$10,000 on the spot fines for first offence and 3 month Jail time for second.

Taiwan has showed you how now ******* do it

Buying food and supplies is quite different from sunbathing on the beach.

Another question - if you think the cure is worse than the disease, then why are you following the rules regarding social distancing, reducing non essential travel etc?

I also doubt that suicides resulting from these measures will exceed the fatalities from coronavirus but you're entitled to your opinion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Buying food and supplies is quite different from sunbathing on the beach.

Another question - if you think the cure is worse than the disease, then why are you following the rules regarding social distancing, reducing non essential travel etc?

I also doubt that suicides resulting from these measures will exceed the fatalities from coronavirus but you're entitled to your opinion.
They can space out, whats the issue

There is nothing to do, what choice do i have. I also dont doubt the virus exists so doing my bit. Im just saying complete lockdown is too far as well

In australia its a real chance, not the world. Im not counting deaths in countries where they think they can pray it away or have no health service. Theyre beyond help

Last edited:
Im talking about Australia. Wont get a very high mortality here. Take deaths from poor countries or poor health systems out.

Also, unconfirmed cases worldwide, of which there would be hundreds of thousands brings that 16% down

Mortality rate is death as a percentage of population, fatality rate is death as a percentage of people with the disease.

A fatality rate of 15% would make it more deadly than Legionnaires' Disease - a disease where one third of all who get it cough up blood, and all of them have a fever. Apparently that's better than a virus where many of those who get it don't even know they have it and show no symptoms. :drunk:

The WHO has suicides at 800k a year. There's been a 20 percent increase in calls to lifeline in the past couple of weeks.

There's certainly going to be people who have never been in this position joining the club so to speak.

Been watching a few zombie apocalypse/end of the world type movies this week. They have a whole different feel watching them during a pandemic, even though we obviously don't have zombies running around lol
I'm not so sure about that.

People cheering on totalitarian measures to fight a new War on Germs don't strike me as people with brains.

My work life now seems to revolve around about 10 video conference calls a day now. Gives the day some structure so it's not all bad. Squeeze the work in between calls, and after you hang up for the last time for the day, call the working day done.

The big difference is doing that I've met a heap of my colleagues children and cats who wander in and out of the video. You want to avoid morning calls with a colleagues whose kid is learning a musical instrument though. Forty minute architecture walkthrough accompanied by "scales", badly.

Kinda weird some of the stuff my supermarket is running low on now. I'm guessing it's stuff that resupply was deprioritised in favour of rice, TP, etc. All those 20kg bags of rice I saw there last week are now gone :eyes:
No Mersey Valley cheese to be had.

Im not saying this to troll, i know people think i havent taken this as seriously as others. You need to take a break from this. Youre hysterical and paranoid, much more than others. Step away from the news for a day, take your mind off it. I mean it sincerely, take a break. You seem constantly so much more OTT than everyone else
He just seems engaged to me. No hysteria or paranoia whatsoever.

They can space out, whats the issue

There is nothing to do, what choice do i have. I also dont doubt the virus exists so doing my bit. Im just saying complete lockdown is too far as well

In australia its a real chance, not the world. Im not counting deaths in countries where they think they can pray it away or have no health service. Theyre beyond help

Sure, if there is enough space then fine. But then you have scenes like Bondi last weekend and Melbourne today where clearly it wasn't being practised and the authorities stepped in, justifiably in my view.

I do actually think a draconian Italian-style lockdown isn't necessary - yet. Call me an apologist but if the government and health authorities feel it's necessary to flatten the curve, then I can deal with it.

If you can understand the serious risk the virus poses in countries not as well prepared as Australia - then why should we take a more relaxed approach here? If the experts advise the government to ramp it up on Monday (after seeing the experience in Europe and the US for example) - then by all means do it. I can cop those who think I'm hysterical or paranoid because I used to be on the other side of the fence too.

Sure, if there is enough space then fine. But then you have scenes like Bondi last weekend and Melbourne today where clearly it wasn't being practised and the authorities stepped in, justifiably in my view.

I do actually think a draconian Italian-style lockdown isn't necessary - yet. Call me an apologist but if the government and health authorities feel it's necessary to flatten the curve, then I can deal with it.

If you can understand the serious risk the virus poses in countries not as well prepared as Australia - then why should we take a more relaxed approach here? If the experts advise the government to ramp it up on Monday (after seeing the experience in Europe and the US for example) - then by all means do it. I can cop those who think I'm hysterical or paranoid because I used to be on the other side of the fence too.
Personally I'd rather overreact and err on the side of caution rather than underprepare and deal with the severe fallout.

I hope those who think this is a beat up are proven right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back