Health Coronavirus 2020 / Worldwide (Stats live update in OP)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Depends how long the crisis runs for. Payments of cash are meaningless if they are not underpinned on some level by real economic activity.

You can only defy financial gravity for so long, and if the government can’t get the economy moving reasonably quickly then the dollar is going to go south in a big way.

In that regard i agree completely, i meant anyone who complains 'its only $1500, i want more etc.'

It is definitely a lot of money to be paying on behalf of a nation.....going to hurt somewhere down the track.

Maybe people can now 'sit down' with the banks or landlords and work out some sort of payment plan, but im guessing morons will just take the 6 months and spend it on online shopping

Read this on facebook:

With the new rules in place for Victoria, am I still allowed to go for a walk with my friend? To give some context, we have both been self isolating and only going out to get food, or to exercise together, we don't see other people or go to public places. Although we live in different suburbs about twenty minutes apart, so we usually both drive 15mins to a park and go for a walk for an hour or so every few days
We wouldn't be around other people, it would just be two of us, but we wouldn't be in our local areas, are we allowed to do this? Or will be get in trouble for exercising outside of our local area?

What don't people understand about local exercise and not getting in the car unless you need food, medical help, medicine or have to drive to work???? This isn't the time for catch up walks with friends where you have to drive 15mins each to meet each-other. :drunk:

yeh i fear that a lot of small and medium sized businesses will claim the money but not pass it on.
hopefully employees can register and they can cross check data between employers claiming and employees waiting

Pretty easy to report but employees also have to realise its not a $1500 wage increase, if they get paid $2000 a fortnight, the employee gets reimbursed $1500 - the employees wage doesnt change. Wouldnt be surprised if businesses just re-hired their employees and pay them $1500 a fortnight to keep them on the books for free

From the press conference just before, the PM was asked about this, and his response was that this will be claimed by the employer via the ATO. The employer will notify the ATO of their employees they will be lodging for the claim. The ATO will then cross reference this claim via each employers STP upload to the ATO.

In theory this should be the big stick to ensure compliance, but where there is a dollar, there is usually someone willing to find a work-around.

STP is pretty bullet-proof at the moment. Its live reporting and employers will do it right to get their money. Only way would be to 'pay' someone on the books and get the $1500 reimbursement and not physically pay the money - im talking self employed through a company/partnership/trust etc.

I can think of a few boat arrivals who might have something to say about people complaining their accommodation.

It does smack of double standards when the Wuhan evacuees (none of which tested positive, by the way) were sent to Christmas Island while Ruby Princess' passengers were allowed off with barely more than a couple of questions.

I feel like we are on the other side of this thing now, numbers are dropping every day.
Yep, starting to get on top of it. In my opinion, the virus isn't as easily transmittable in our hotter weather and it hasn't been able to spread as quickly in Australia as other places. Our urban sprawl, low populations and culture would also be factors compared to other countries.

We made a lot of mistakes and were slow to lock down so I don't think it's been all our social distancing procedures that has gotten us to where we are. The fortunate thing is that it might also take off less in third world countries and summer in the Northern Hemisphere might save a few lives.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does anyone else think we will have a milder flu season this year as people are being more hygienic as well as minimising contact with one another?

Work are organising flu shots as usual but you need to go to a chemist to get them. Think I might take my chances this year. Sick people go to the chemist so screw lining up there to get a shot.

Yep, starting to get on top of it. In my opinion, the virus isn't as easily transmittable in our hotter weather and it hasn't been able to spread as quickly in Australia as other places. Our urban sprawl, low populations and culture would also be factors compared to other countries.

We made a lot of mistakes and were slow to lock down so I don't think it's been all our social distancing procedures that has gotten us to where we are. The fortunate thing is that it might also take off less in third world countries and summer in the Northern Hemisphere might save a few lives.
Weather factor has been busted.
Sprawl is a definite factor.

We locked down flights from Wuhan and China too late
We locked down international flights too late
Scomo was indecisive allowing sporting events and Hillsong to continue (Primary cause of Italy and Spain's numbers)
Allowed passengers to depart ships without quarantine
Didn't take it seriously soon enough
Weren't prepared (as was every other country)

Had we been more serious much earlier we might not even be at stage 2. At least in SA we wouldn't even have 20 cases as they were all linked to 18 tourists.

Weather factor has been busted.
Sprawl is a definite factor.

We locked down flights from Wuhan and China too late
We locked down international flights too late
Scomo was indecisive allowing sporting events and Hillsong to continue (Primary cause of Italy and Spain's numbers)
Allowed passengers to depart ships without quarantine
Didn't take it seriously soon enough
Weren't prepared (as was every other country)

Had we been more serious much earlier we might not even be at stage 2. At least in SA we wouldn't even have 20 cases as they were all linked to 18 tourists.
How has a weather correlation been busted?
I think that there is definitely a weather correlation and all the data/statistics will back that up.
India's spread of infection should be completely out of control right now, but they are in the middle of summer, 35 degrees everyday.

images (31).jpeg
Work are organising flu shots as usual but you need to go to a chemist to get them. Think I might take my chances this year. Sick people go to the chemist so screw lining up there to get a shot.
I'll be getting the flu shot for the first time ever this year. If Coronavirus kicks on, I'm not risking flu and Coronavirus together

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back