Remove this Banner Ad

jd2010

#freewelly #bringbackbojan
Feb 1, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
58k new cases a day this time around. What was it last time when football got stopped for months?

SM

Bigfooty Legend
Aug 3, 2008
North Shore
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Hull City, Adelaide United, EH
When football got stopped for months everything was brand new and procedures and policies weren't already in place that could be implemented for football. This time around a much shorter break to halt the rise in cases (which to be honest football isn't having a huge impact on outside of a few players) and get all clubs cleared up is all that's necessary.

moomba

TheBrownDog
Oct 3, 2001
Timperley
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Man City ****
Theres no point hacing a short break now. Cases are goingbto increase significantly over the next month regardless of what football does.

You need to either have another proper shutdown or may as well battle on imo.

SM

Bigfooty Legend
Aug 3, 2008
North Shore
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Theres no point hacing a short break now. Cases are goingbto increase significantly over the next month regardless of what football does.

You need to either have another proper shutdown or may as well battle on imo.
The point of having the short break is to eliminate the cases specifically in football. Enforce the bubble. That should at least allow for a more consistent and complete resumption providing players continue to abide by the rules. If they are unable to do that then just shut it down and call the season off as it's getting to be quite a compromised competition at the lower levels.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

moomba

TheBrownDog
Oct 3, 2001
Timperley
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Man City ****
There weren't any cases during Project Restart were there? At least, I can't recall any. And in the UK the number of cases has never really gone away.
Cant recall if there were any positives.

Project Restart came at tge end of a three month national lockdown, when the virus was largely under control. Its a very different situation we're in at the moment, and in two to four weeks time its unlikely that there wont be any footballers bringing the virus back into clubs.

The way this variant spreads, we'll he back calling off games in no time.

Scrapping the season (for me) is realistic, but I suspect football authorities would rather extend and screw up next season as well.

SM

Bigfooty Legend
Aug 3, 2008
North Shore
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
I think they should get to the end of the first round of fixtures and then make a serious call, much harder in lower leagues because promotion/relegation is a big thing to decide, but getting to a point where everyone's played once is at least a point that is arguably fair to call it.

jd2010

#freewelly #bringbackbojan
Feb 1, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
Surprised a rich oil billionaire hasn't tried to work out a way to sort out a UAE/Qatar style bubble scenario to get the 2nd half of the season completed

hawkman

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
I think they should get to the end of the first round of fixtures and then make a serious call, much harder in lower leagues because promotion/relegation is a big thing to decide, but getting to a point where everyone's played once is at least a point that is arguably fair to call it.
Liverpool v United on the final day as a title decider?

99 Problems

Premium Gold
Aug 4, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Everton
I think a lot of clubs have been against any short term breaks because players and staff wouldn’t get enough time actually away from the club. I saw some mention that if they took 2 weeks off they’d only actually get 2-3 days away before they’d need to be back in training.

My guess is they are hoping to ride out the next couple of weeks and call off specific games if needed, and hope that after a couple of weeks in lockdown the community numbers drop.

Zidane98

Hall of Famer
Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Socceroos, LFC, MVFC, RC Strasbourg
Cant recall if there were any positives.

Project Restart came at tge end of a three month national lockdown, when the virus was largely under control. Its a very different situation we're in at the moment, and in two to four weeks time its unlikely that there wont be any footballers bringing the virus back into clubs.

The way this variant spreads, we'll he back calling off games in no time.

Scrapping the season (for me) is realistic, but I suspect football authorities would rather extend and screw up next season as well.
There's no point scrapping this season only for next season to be affected and also scrapped. One way or the other this season will be finished whether fully or in a shortened format agreed by the clubs.

SM

Bigfooty Legend
Aug 3, 2008
North Shore
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
We're close enough to half way that I think a very plausible case should be made for finishing the first round of fixtures (however long that takes) and call it after that point.

Zidane98

Hall of Famer
Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Socceroos, LFC, MVFC, RC Strasbourg
We're close enough to half way that I think a very plausible case should be made for finishing the first round of fixtures (however long that takes) and call it after that point.
Not sure youd get the majority of votes on calling it now. Reckon a 4 week shutdown could be pushed through (but no more than that due EPL teams competing in Europe at the end of Feb).

Remove this Banner Ad