Coronavirus and Football

Remove this Banner Ad

So if Leeds had 12 non-COVID injuries they should be able to postpone a game? Or 11 non-COVID and 1 COVID?

The Premier League board has set out in writing to clubs the SIX key factors which are taken into consideration.

They are:

1. The impact of COVID-19 infections on a club’s squad, as well as injuries, illness and those isolating, and the number of players available on the squad list and any Under-21 players with appropriate experience. Where a club cannot field 13 outfield players and a goalkeeper either from its squad list or its appropriately experienced Under-21 players, the match will be postponed.
  2. The status of any COVID-19 outbreak within a club, including the number of individuals affected, the sequence and source of infections and their proximity to the match in question.
  3. A club’s ability to safely prepare its players in the lead-up to a match.
  4. Medical advice as to whether there is any unacceptable risk to the health and safety of players and staff by playing the match.
  5. Any advice from UK Health Security Agency and other public bodies.
  6. Any other exceptional circumstances.

A mix of covid and injuries dragging a club down to less than 10 outfielders and 3 subs is the basis.

Youre making a few assumptions there. The Premier league would say that the teams getting games postponed are the teams that have met the criteria.

I don't think we have any sort of evidence to suggest that isn't case.

The narrataive about who is a close contact, who is injured / if they can play and how the virus can mostly be controlled by the club. Also isolation should not be taken into account at all as this only applies to unvaccinated players.

There's evidence that Leicester pulled a shifty to get Spurs postponed. And naive to think that covid wont be used as an excuse, happens all the time in the business world. The PL is no exception.

The narrataive about who is a close contact, who is injured / if they can play and how the virus can mostly be controlled by the club. Also isolation should not be taken into account at all as this only applies to unvaccinated players.

For isolation you would have to declare a positive test result or contact to the government. It could be manipulated I guess but what player would willingly lock himself away for 10 days if he didn't have to.

Other injuries, I would hope fit notes would be required. Again, can be manipulated, but at the risk of losing a medical licence.

As for vaccinated or unvaccinated, remember it's about the safety of the remaining players. Whether someone that is unavailable is so because they have tested positive, or they need to isolate as a contact, they're still not available.

There's evidence that Leicester pulled a shifty to get Spurs postponed. And naive to think that covid wont be used as an excuse, happens all the time in the business world. The PL is no exception.

What evidence?

Most of Leicester's "unavailable" players for the Spurs game were back training within days.

They were denied a postponement, then put the pressure on again and were granted their wish. They pulled the pin because they had their defence unavailable for the Spurs game IMO.

I cant have faith in a system that says you must play if you have 6 cases but says you can postpone if you have 4 cases + 9 "injuries" within a senior squad.

Most of Leicester's "unavailable" players for the Spurs game were back training within days.

They were denied a postponement, then put the pressure on again and were granted their wish. They pulled the pin because they had their defence unavailable for the Spurs game IMO.

I cant have faith in a system that says you must play if you have 6 cases but says you can postpone if you have 4 cases + 9 "injuries" within a senior squad.
And Rodgers waffled with what the cause of the postponement was. Didn't want to play semi fit non covid players. It will hurt them though with making these games up during their europa knockouts

Not really evidence, just guesswork and conspiracy theories.

Not really evidence, just guesswork and conspiracy theories.
The supposed new cases were back at training earlier than if they were positives. Which led to Rodgers saying they were unfit players being asked to play due to covid of other players which they questioned. To be fair with these murky rules I don't particularly blame Rodgers for asking for a game to be postponed where he had 6 defenders out for various reasons.

The supposed new cases were back at training earlier than if they were positives. Which led to Rodgers saying they were unfit players being asked to play due to covid of other players which they questioned. To be fair with these murky rules I don't particularly blame Rodgers for asking for a game to be postponed where he had 6 defenders out for various reasons.
Who were rhe supposed new cases?

People are scouring teamlists and guessing who was missing and for what reason.

Isolation rules changed too last week.

Who were rhe supposed new cases?

People are scouring teamlists and guessing who was missing and for what reason.

Isolation rules changed too last week.
They had 4 cases originally (and about 4 general injuries). They then asked for the game to be called off claiming there were more cases across the club. But no new players weren't at training 2 or 3 days after which didn't add up. And Rodgers said it was players who were recovering from injuries playing because of covid which is why the club asked.

They had 4 cases originally (and about 4 general injuries). They then asked for the game to be called off claiming there were more cases across the club. But no new players weren't at training 2 or 3 days after which didn't add up. And Rodgers said it was players who were recovering from injuries playing because of covid which is why the club asked.
They had 7-9 missing originally, through combination of covid, illness and injury. No-one was named but people looked at who was missing from the Napoli game and put 2 and 2 together.

Additional cases (names and numbers were never announced as far as I know) and I doubt having closed their training ground for a deep clean they were letting the average bystander in to see who was and who wasn't there.

The league and Leicester would be the only ones in possession of the facts. Everyone else is just guessing depending on their own biases.

The means is definitely there for people to cheat, the league does have the power to independently assess injuries but I doubt they're using those powers. I'm a firm believer though that the consequences of a postponed game are worse than the benefits.

They had 7-9 missing originally, through combination of covid, illness and injury. No-one was named but people looked at who was missing from the Napoli game and put 2 and 2 together.

Additional cases (names and numbers were never announced as far as I know) and I doubt having closed their training ground for a deep clean they were letting the average bystander in to see who was and who wasn't there.

The league and Leicester would be the only ones in possession of the facts. Everyone else is just guessing depending on their own biases.

The means is definitely there for people to cheat, the league does have the power to independently assess injuries but I doubt they're using those powers. I'm a firm believer though that the consequences of a postponed game are worse than the benefits.
You can only go off who played mid week and then who trained the following midweek. And there was no increase in missing faces. They had 13 senior outfield and 2 keepers and then some. But for Leicester they had 0 CBs, 0 RBs and 1 LB available and they asked the question.

Could they have fielded a side based on the 13 + 2? Yes.

Could they have fielded a PL competitive side with the 14-16 senior players available? No. Unless Daka or Ihaenacho are secretly great CBs, they would have fielded a real ****ed line-up. But so have Leeds regularly because of defender injury crisis. Rules for some

Who is saying who trained and who didn't?

I doubt Lecester have made any announcements? And of those training who has determined that they were fit to play?

It is the same rules for everyone. The league has no interest in postponing games unless they have to. But.lots of opposition supporters.qre running around screaming conspiracy when they don't know the facts.

Moomba maybe time to stop defending Leicester so desperately. Palace's teamsheet two days ago showed just how much teams are pushing the rules on what can get a game suspended and not. It's getting tiresome seeing the same circular arguments from everyone. It's staggeringly naive to suggest PL clubs aren't going to push to the very limits and beyond of what's ethical when they have a chunk of their squad missing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You can only go off who played mid week and then who trained the following midweek. And there was no increase in missing faces. They had 13 senior outfield and 2 keepers and then some. But for Leicester they had 0 CBs, 0 RBs and 1 LB available and they asked the question.

Could they have fielded a side based on the 13 + 2? Yes.

Could they have fielded a PL competitive side with the 14-16 senior players available? No. Unless Daka or Ihaenacho are secretly great CBs, they would have fielded a real f’ed line-up. But so have Leeds regularly because of defender injury crisis. Rules for some

That's a fair point, you need 14 with one keeper to play, but what if you had your entire defence out with COVID and had to play, I dunno, Son as a CB? Lol. It's such a subjective situation and such a mess. Messy precedents have now been set..

Blackburn are blowing up because we called our game off with 2 hours to go, but we were apparently prepared to play a bunch from our U23s.. but then they got COVID! 17 cases in our camp.

Moomba maybe time to stop defending Leicester so desperately. Palace's teamsheet two days ago showed just how much teams are pushing the rules on what can get a game suspended and not. It's getting tiresome seeing the same circular arguments from everyone. It's staggeringly naive to suggest PL clubs aren't going to push to the very limits and beyond of what's ethical when they have a chunk of their squad missing.

I'm asking for facts, not speculation. Leicester and others have been very vague in what they've said publicly so I dont know how anyone is so sure of their facts when they're just not about.

I've never suggested that clubs wouldn't test the limits. But without evidence I don't believe that the League would approve a postponement without there being good reason to do so. A postponed game is very much against the interests of the league.

BTW, if youre tired of hearing the same old circular arguments (or just my side of the argument it seems) can I suggest you put me on ignore, or apply for a mod position. Cause until I'm told otherwise I'll post on issues that interest me regardless of what some busy campaigner thinks.

Messy precedents have now been set.

Fairly clear, objective guidelines were put in place last week. I'm not aware of any postponement that goes against those guidelines.

Palace didn't meet them, so.they got knocked back. Everton didn't meet them so they got knocked back. When they did meet the guideline the game got called off.

I'm asking for facts, not speculation. Leicester and others have been very vague in what they've said publicly so I dont know how anyone is so sure of their facts when they're just not about.

I've never suggested that clubs wouldn't test the limits. But without evidence I don't believe that the League would approve a postponement without there being good reason to do so. A postponed game is very much against the interests of the league.

BTW, if youre tired of hearing the same old circular arguments (or just my side of the argument it seems) can I suggest you put me on ignore, or apply for a mod position. Cause until I'm told otherwise I'll post on issues that interest me regardless of what some busy campaigner thinks.

Well Chef liked my post so reckon there's a few a bit tired of the circular nature of the discussion. Sorry for offering an opinion on the fact the discussion was going nowhere. You do it several times in several threads on here, so no need to get so touchy when you cop it back.

Fairly clear, objective guidelines were put in place last week. I'm not aware of any postponement that goes against those guidelines.

Palace didn't meet them, so.they got knocked back. Everton didn't meet them so they got knocked back. When they did meet the guideline the game got called off.

If you say so.

For what it's worth, if it's so clear cut then Palace's game wouldn't have remotely come close to being called off (and it was a game day decision in the end) considering they only had one player out.

Well Chef liked my post so reckon there's a few a bit tired of the circular nature of the discussion. Sorry for offering an opinion on the fact the discussion was going nowhere. You do it several times in several threads on here, so no need to get so touchy when you cop it back.
Chef can feel free to pm.me if he wants. You can hush now though.

Chef can feel free to pm.me if he wants. You can hush now though.

BTW, if you want me to hush can I suggest you put me on ignore, or apply for a mod position. Cause until I'm told otherwise I'll post regardless of what some busy campaigner thinks.

BTW, if you want me to hush can I suggest you put me on ignore, or apply for a mod position. Cause until I'm told otherwise I'll post regardless of what some busy campaigner thinks.
PMSL. You've been on my ignore list for years. Only works on the laptop though, not on phone sadly.

Who is saying who trained and who didn't?

I doubt Lecester have made any announcements? And of those training who has determined that they were fit to play?

It is the same rules for everyone. The league has no interest in postponing games unless they have to. But.lots of opposition supporters.qre running around screaming conspiracy when they don't know the facts.
Teams post training pictures and you can see for yourself that there's more than the required amount out there 2 days after a postponement for "new cases"

Teams post training pictures and you can see for yourself that there's more than the required amount out there 2 days after a postponement for "new cases"

Neville has been on Sky saying he thinks clubs aren't doing enough to get games played and are playing the system to get games called off. Hard to argue with him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back