Coronavirus and Football

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 18, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Think it’s own thread is needed now to discuss what is happening, what will happen, as well as all the potential ramifications if/when things get worse.

Serie A is suspended until April at the earliest, some champions league games are to be played in empty stadiums this week and it seems inevitable that something similar will start happening in the UK soon as well.

Where do we go from here? And if Liverpool’s inevitable title win gets scuppered by this virus, will it be the biggest banter era thing to happen in the history of football? I think yes.

Whats with the large number of cases in Italy out of interest? 9172 cases in Italy vs 164 in the UK. I guess the Schengen travel free area makes it much easier for the virus to spread. Still, France has 1400 cases and from the data I can find has 2 and a half million tourist arrivals from China yearly. Italy has 3.2 million tourist arrivals from China yearly and has 7 times the amount of cases.

Reckon we will see plenty of games in empty stadiums played in cities where there is a significant corona outbreak.

Euro 2020 is the biggest problem - played over multiple countries with fans travelling from country to country. Sounds like an easy way for the virus to spread.

You’d think Euro2020 is in serious jeopardy if this virus really takes a hold. Olympics too even. However the virus is already in decline in China and South Korea so there is some mood for optimism imo

You’d think Euro2020 is in serious jeopardy if this virus really takes a hold. Olympics too even. However the virus is already in decline in China and South Korea so there is some mood for optimism imo

Japan exercised some pretty strict quarantine measures, don't think there will be an issue with the Olympics. Majority of all cases are on Hokkaido island (huge amounts of Chinese travel to the ski resorts there every year at around this time of year) making containment much easier.

people should expect the corona virus at some stage in the next 36 months

for 80% of us it is no big deal. For 17% hospital treatment and the remainder will pay a big price.

so do you give up everything for something that probably will happen anyway?

“Major League Baseball, Major League Soccer, the National Basketball Association and the National Hockey League issued a joint statement Monday afternoon announcing all four leagues are limiting access to clubhouses and locker rooms as the coronavirus outbreak continues to spread.

The full statement can be read below:

"After consultation with infectious disease and public health experts, and given the issues that can be associated with close contact in pre- and post-game settings, all team locker rooms and clubhouses will be open only to players and essential employees of teams and team facilities until further notice. Media access will be maintained in designated locations outside of the locker room and clubhouse setting.

"These temporary changes will be effective beginning with [Tuesday's] games and practices. We will continue to closely monitor this situation and take any further steps necessary to maintain a safe and welcoming environment."

The baseball commissioner and the 30 owners even had a conference call that maybe the upcoming season will be affected and no fans in attendance. But that won’t be happening, yet

Whats with the large number of cases in Italy out of interest? 9172 cases in Italy vs 164 in the UK. I guess the Schengen travel free area makes it much easier for the virus to spread. Still, France has 1400 cases and from the data I can find has 2 and a half million tourist arrivals from China yearly. Italy has 3.2 million tourist arrivals from China yearly and has 7 times the amount of cases.

Reckon we will see plenty of games in empty stadiums played in cities where there is a significant corona outbreak.

Euro 2020 is the biggest problem - played over multiple countries with fans travelling from country to country. Sounds like an easy way for the virus to spread.
Italy's testing is probably better than elsewhere and they have one of the oldest populations in Europe who are more susceptible to the virus.

The USA are in big trouble. Pretty sure they had only tested 1,000 people as of yesterday.

Japanese authorities believe they have 10x the number of cases in total that have currently been reported but unfortunately they can't test people quickly enough. The whole thing is a shitshow.

Interesting to note that Jordan have been really proactive and have banned most of Europe from travelling here.

Japan exercised some pretty strict quarantine measures, don't think there will be an issue with the Olympics. Majority of all cases are on Hokkaido island (huge amounts of Chinese travel to the ski resorts there every year at around this time of year) making containment much easier.
Japan is ****ed mate

That'll be great for the league.

So if Liverpool win the league title and then the FA announce the rest of the campaign is cancelled in like Round 30, is it fair to let Liverpool keep their title when everyone else can’t proceed in relegation and European fights? It might just be me but the league campaign becomes null and void even if we get 37 rounds in.

Ah, who am I kidding anyway? The FA will allow the rest of the league campaign to proceed so Liverpool can win it, even if they know that right after the final whistle everyone in the stadium will drop dead and die.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Liverpool might win the title behind closed doors.

Well for a long time we were due to win it at the Etihad Vs City, so we were already prepared for the scenario of playing in front of an empty stadium

Last edited:
So if Liverpool win the league title and then the FA announce the rest of the campaign is cancelled in like Round 30, is it fair to let Liverpool keep their title when everyone else can’t proceed in relegation and European fights? It might just be me but the league campaign becomes null and void even if we get 37 rounds in.

Ah, who am I kidding anyway? The FA will allow the rest of the league campaign to proceed so Liverpool can win it, even if they know that right after the final whistle everyone in the stadium will drop dead and die.
You’d have to declare the whole season null and void surely. No relegation or promotion. Would have to divert back to 2018/19 league standings for European qualification

You’d have to declare the whole season null and void surely. No relegation or promotion. Would have to divert back to 2018/19 league standings for European qualification
Leave the table as is but have no title winner.

I think it's inevitable that games in England will be played behind closed doors.

Champions League might be interesting just fulfilling fixtures cause there's a risk just in travelling I would have thought.

How come we are only hearing about the results in first world countries? What about in Africa and South America?
What do you mean? There have been results about african countries. Just that as expected thanks to Colonialism they have no money to go visit places like Italy and as such can't spread the virus.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back