Coronavirus and Football

Remove this Banner Ad

Injuries are up 250% in the Bundesliga since the restart according to the Mail

Interesting, have they increased the number of subs allowed? Might be something to look at.

Significant injuries or just strains?

Interesting, have they increased the number of subs allowed? Might be something to look at.

Significant injuries or just strains?
Article is lead story on the mails sport section website

5 subs per game. No more than 2 at a time. Two only allowed at half time I think

Concerning they already have so many injuries after two games then. How much lead up did they have to games?

You qualified that the concern is a lack of pre-season, but that's not the part of your post I was responding to was it? You said it's not very common in a normal season when my point was that it is.
What does the Championship have to do with anything? We’re talking about Premier League players because the subject is about the Premier League re-starting.

A quick scan shows that 100 players made 40 or more league appearances last season, which aligns with that roughly 5 players a squad which is half a best XI.
Can you provide a link? Appearances can be a misleading stat. For example, super subs could have a high number of appearances but average low minutes per appearance. Doesn’t paint the full picture and would require a bit more analysis than “a quick scan”.

What does the Championship have to do with anything? We’re talking about Premier League players because the subject is about the Premier League re-starting.

Can you provide a link? Appearances can be a misleading stat. For example, super subs could have a high number of appearances but average low minutes per appearance. Doesn’t paint the full picture and would require a bit more analysis than “a quick scan”.

Well three clubs in the Premier League played under those conditions last season, another 6 play under reasonably similar conditions in European football, and that's almost half the league.

Whoscored doesn't seem to give minutes but the general point still stands, particularly as the PL will have increased subs for the players involved so isn't a direct comparison anyway. The point was that playing 3 games in a week is reasonably common for a decent portion of the league, whether that's European football, Cup games, or Championship league games. To make out that it's some completely foreign, ridiculous demand on players is wrong.

Your point about lack of preparation is reasonable, and should be addressed with increased subs and other measures.

Well three clubs in the Premier League played under those conditions last season, another 6 play under reasonably similar conditions in European football, and that's almost half the league.
Played under what conditions?

Can you provide me the link you looked at before?

Clubs at the bottom won't be prepared to rotate as much.

Much easier for someone like City to rotate than a Villa or Watford. And a few injuries (or self isolation) makes it even harder to properly rotate.

Clubs at the bottom won't be prepared to rotate as much.

Much easier for someone like City to rotate than a Villa or Watford. And a few injuries (or self isolation) makes it even harder to properly rotate.
I guess if anyone’s depth can handle being rushed back into a congestion of fixtures without a pre-season, it’s going to be City’s. Doesn’t make it right though.

Are you guys in CL next season (assuming you finish top four) or is that still pending?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I guess if anyone’s depth can handle being rushed back into a congestion of fixtures without a pre-season, it’s going to be City’s. Doesn’t make it right though.

Are you guys in CL next season (assuming you finish top four) or is that still pending?
Case starts next week. Should know by July.

Just on The Watford captain, if he and several of this team mates decide to air out the rest of the season, and they end up getting relegated, would the Hornets fans be understanding and forgiving or start going on a pitchfork hunt ? (In a manner of speaking)

The situation could get even uglier for Deeney if things go pear shaped for WFC.

Catch up games then matchday 30 starting on June 20?

If a new matchday starts every 3 days the season could be concluded by July 19-20. FIFA mandated break of 3 weeks for training resumption 10 August roughly. Return maybe two weeks later for 2020/21.

Transfer window and contract negotiations in that short period will be a cluster* though

Remove this Banner Ad

Back