Coronavirus and Football

Remove this Banner Ad

When football got stopped for months everything was brand new and procedures and policies weren't already in place that could be implemented for football. This time around a much shorter break to halt the rise in cases (which to be honest football isn't having a huge impact on outside of a few players) and get all clubs cleared up is all that's necessary.

Theres no point hacing a short break now. Cases are goingbto increase significantly over the next month regardless of what football does.

You need to either have another proper shutdown or may as well battle on imo.

Theres no point hacing a short break now. Cases are goingbto increase significantly over the next month regardless of what football does.

You need to either have another proper shutdown or may as well battle on imo.

The point of having the short break is to eliminate the cases specifically in football. Enforce the bubble. That should at least allow for a more consistent and complete resumption providing players continue to abide by the rules. If they are unable to do that then just shut it down and call the season off as it's getting to be quite a compromised competition at the lower levels.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

While its so prevalent in the community youre not going to get rid of it from football clubs imo.

There weren't any cases during Project Restart were there? At least, I can't recall any. And in the UK the number of cases has never really gone away.

There weren't any cases during Project Restart were there? At least, I can't recall any. And in the UK the number of cases has never really gone away.
Cant recall if there were any positives.

Project Restart came at tge end of a three month national lockdown, when the virus was largely under control. Its a very different situation we're in at the moment, and in two to four weeks time its unlikely that there wont be any footballers bringing the virus back into clubs.

The way this variant spreads, we'll he back calling off games in no time.

Scrapping the season (for me) is realistic, but I suspect football authorities would rather extend and screw up next season as well.

I think they should get to the end of the first round of fixtures and then make a serious call, much harder in lower leagues because promotion/relegation is a big thing to decide, but getting to a point where everyone's played once is at least a point that is arguably fair to call it.

Surprised a rich oil billionaire hasn't tried to work out a way to sort out a UAE/Qatar style bubble scenario to get the 2nd half of the season completed

I think they should get to the end of the first round of fixtures and then make a serious call, much harder in lower leagues because promotion/relegation is a big thing to decide, but getting to a point where everyone's played once is at least a point that is arguably fair to call it.
Liverpool v United on the final day as a title decider?

I think a lot of clubs have been against any short term breaks because players and staff wouldn’t get enough time actually away from the club. I saw some mention that if they took 2 weeks off they’d only actually get 2-3 days away before they’d need to be back in training.

My guess is they are hoping to ride out the next couple of weeks and call off specific games if needed, and hope that after a couple of weeks in lockdown the community numbers drop.

Cant recall if there were any positives.

Project Restart came at tge end of a three month national lockdown, when the virus was largely under control. Its a very different situation we're in at the moment, and in two to four weeks time its unlikely that there wont be any footballers bringing the virus back into clubs.

The way this variant spreads, we'll he back calling off games in no time.

Scrapping the season (for me) is realistic, but I suspect football authorities would rather extend and screw up next season as well.

There's no point scrapping this season only for next season to be affected and also scrapped. One way or the other this season will be finished whether fully or in a shortened format agreed by the clubs.

We're close enough to half way that I think a very plausible case should be made for finishing the first round of fixtures (however long that takes) and call it after that point.

Not sure youd get the majority of votes on calling it now. Reckon a 4 week shutdown could be pushed through (but no more than that due EPL teams competing in Europe at the end of Feb).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back