Coronavirus and Football

Remove this Banner Ad

In other words clubs are free to manipulate the system when it suits.

Newcastle & Leicester bullshitted to their advantage to get the postponements they wanted in games they see as winnable but probably would have lost with weakened teams.

Or they have got/had too many unavailable to field a team according to the rules. Anyone can request a postponement, the league say yes or no according to the criteria they've set.

Not sure what happened with Leeds against City but anyone could tell they were struggling to field a competitive team.

Perhaps they just decided it was a match they were losing anyway and made the call that it was better to get the game out the way.

Surely that's their choice to make. Imagine if Leeds wanted to play, and the league stepped in and said "no, you can't". That would be shambolic.

FWIW, if I was the league I'd have a list of all eligible players for each team (25 man squad plus eligible youf players) and clubs would have to report on the status of each of those players daily

I'm sure this already happens, but anyone unavailable should have an accompanying isolation note or fit note, together with proof of positive PCR tests or NHS notification to isolate.

Teams may go ahead and play fixtures with a compromised team if they believe it was going to be a loss anyway.

That's also manipulation of the system and why requests for / no request for postponements should absolutely not be allowed. I would say rhe current system cannot continue without severley undermining the integrity of the league.

I like what they have done in the A League. Announced that 5 positives or more sees a game postponed. Serious long term injuries are the only injuries considered in the postponement equation.

Well Chef liked my post so reckon there's a few a bit tired of the circular nature of the discussion.
Careful. I had a mod like a post of mine in the winter telling a debbie downer his comments are to be critiqued like everyone else.

Same mod team gave me two months off a day later. See you in the gulag.

State of PL managers.

Pep - we need 5 subs. Doesn't make a single sub

Tuchel - if we have another midfielder out we are screwed. Kane, Saul and Barkley on the bench

Klopp - Xmas schedule is too hard. Lost to a side who played 48 hours earlier when his side had a proper break

If this keeps happening may as well just null & void the league because right now there clearly is no integrity in the process.

Southampton are pissed which speaks volumes. Farcical.
Why is there no integrity in the process?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why is there no integrity in the process?

Gary Neville, an EFL club owner is saying its a joke. Clubs are pissed about fixtures being postponed mostly because sides dont want to front up due to injuries as much as covid.

Neville's right in saying games should only ever be postponed in extraordinary circumstances. ie an outbreak ripping through the club like Spurs had - 14 positives.

Now we have Eddie Howe pulling the pin because his two star players are out due to injury, have 4 positives plus a few others out due to ",knocks".

Undoubtedly Newcastle will now spend a few hundred million and be able to field 2 significantly stronger sides against Soton & Everton. This seriously undernines the integrity of the relegation battle.

Gary Neville, an EFL club owner is saying its a joke. Clubs are pissed about fixtures being postponed mostly because sides dont want to front up due to injuries as much as covid.

Neville's right in saying games should only ever be postponed in extraordinary circumstances. ie an outbreak ripping through the club like Spurs had - 14 positives.

Now we have Eddie Howe pulling the pin because his two star players are out due to injury, have 4 positives plus a few others out due to ",knocks".

Undoubtedly Newcastle will now spend a few hundred million and be able to field 2 significantly stronger sides against Soton & Everton. This seriously undernines the integrity of the relegation battle.

What I take from all that is that, despite not knowing anything about Newcastles injury situation, you think they're making up injuries to get games postponed.

For no other reason than you perceive there might be a benefit to them.of doing that.

Meanwhile in Italy

Part of me thinks the PL should have done this as I think a lot more teams would have conveniently found enough players to take to the pitch.

Part of me thinks the PL should have done this as I think a lot more teams would have conveniently found enough players to take to the pitch.
Problem in Italy if my memory serves me correctly is there was a game where both teams wanted to play. Serie A hadn’t called off the game but the local health authority for one of the teams barred them from moving, so they couldn’t go to the ground. Then copped a forfeit. Not sure the outcome of the appeal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back