News Coronavirus and the draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah every team has to have Star power to be successful but they also have very deep list ( vfl success) and cotchin, Rance etc took paycuts to fit Lynch in. The only team that is outside the current model in the afl currently is gws with their list comprised heaps of a graders/ first round draft picks on rookie contracts, with very few c graders/ role players. When players leave they get top draft picks in, its a continuous cycle. As seen in previous years if gws cop injuries to 3-4 stars they really start struggling with not much depth underneath.

You're misunderstanding my point. Richmond has depth, sure - but that's mainly because they pay and value players 15 to 35 on their list at the level they should. As decent state league players. They KNOW they're interchangable, so they get disciplined guys and have it be a survival of the fittest.

The top level, they pay and have genuine quality.

Last edited:
It’s difficult, as the game is going to be impacted far beyond the salary cap and what the top players are paid.

I don’t have any answers.

If the salary cap is cut back to $10 million, I find it hard to accept one or two players on a team are worth $1 million.

I’m trying to think of your genuine match winners, or players worth $1 mil.

Dusty, Fyfe, Cripps, Jeremy Cameron, And Tom Lynch. That’s it I believe. Dangerfield is past it, but was once such a player. Bontempelli isn’t there yet, but might be the next closest.
Grundy!

Don’t get me wrong, I really really like Grundy, but he doesn’t have the impact of the top mids or forwards, to win a game off his own boot, so to speak.
I do get what you are saying -- But he has managed to do that. Literally. Let me introduce you to round 2, 2016

In the last couple years, he has been crucial. Because he does act as another midfielder. It may be hard to say whether his impact is the reason we win games, given the star mids pies do have. So in that regard, I get your point.

It’s difficult, as the game is going to be impacted far beyond the salary cap and what the top players are paid.

I don’t have any answers.

If the salary cap is cut back to $10 million, I find it hard to accept one or two players on a team are worth $1 million.

I’m trying to think of your genuine match winners, or players worth $1 mil.

Dusty, Fyfe, Cripps, Jeremy Cameron, And Tom Lynch. That’s it I believe. Dangerfield is past it, but was once such a player. Bontempelli isn’t there yet, but might be the next closest.

Could say Grundy worth a $1 Million but I think he do the Right Thing to make sure we keep all of our Good Players

I do get what you are saying -- But he has managed to do that. Literally. Let me introduce you to round 2, 2016

In the last couple years, he has been crucial. Because he does act as another midfielder. It may be hard to say whether his impact is the reason we win games, given the star mids pies do have. So in that regard, I get your point.

Grundy is probably 1 of the Biggest Reason why we been Contenders for the Flag the last few seasons. Without him we are not a Top 4 Team

Hey Jen2310, video saying unavailable.

But going by the title, did Grundy steal the win on the siren?

If so, that’s not what I mean.

Last year, Carlton beat Brisbane on the back of Cripps performance. We appeared to be doing it easy in the first quarter, up by 37 points early in the second quarter.

Then Cripps went ballistic. We couldn’t get near the ball in the midfield, and he went forward and kicked 4.

Quite simply, Cripps dominated, put his team on his shoulders, and there was nothing we could do about it.

That’s what I mean by genuine match winners, who can influence a game like very few can.

Grundy is good, and is the best ruck in the game today. But he can’t almost single handedly drag Collingwood to wins in games they had no right to even be in.

Quite simply, Cripps dominated, put his team on his shoulders, and there was nothing we could do about it.
Sorry, I have to disagree. I still remember the game. For some reason, Fagan first refused to put someone on Cripps and then for some even more puzzling reason, Fagan put Lyons on him! When everybody knows that Lyons can't tag anyone. Literally, anybody would be better than Lyons. I am pretty sure Robinson would had done a much better job.

Hey Jen2310, video saying unavailable.

But going by the title, did Grundy steal the win on the siren?

If so, that’s not what I mean.

Last year, Carlton beat Brisbane on the back of Cripps performance. We appeared to be doing it easy in the first quarter, up by 37 points early in the second quarter.

Then Cripps went ballistic. We couldn’t get near the ball in the midfield, and he went forward and kicked 4.

That’s what I mean by genuine match winners, who can influence a game like very few can.

Grundy is good, and is the best ruck in the game today. But he can’t almost single handedly drag Collingwood to wins in games they had no right to even be in.

Guess you must be watching Different Games then we are because there many Games we can say Grundy got us the Win.

giphy.gif

Cripps looks good as he has to do pretty much everything for Carlton as they got stuff all around him. Why we are at the Top and they down the Bottom as we just don't have 1 good player

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Saints looked significantly better than Melbourne. And the Bulldogs almost took bottom spot away from Gold Coast.
I disagree there, Saints v North was the worst game of football I’ve seen since Saints vs North Good Friday 2018. Both teams were shocking.

Melbourne played the same style that they played in 2018 when they made the prelim, it’s flawed game plan though, they dominate inside 50’s but can’t score against good sides, but they beat up lower sides. Melbourne played West Coast a premiership contender. 2018 was overly frustrating as a supporter, same thing happened round 1 this year.

Didn’t see the Dogs so can’t comment on them.

Saints looked significantly better than Melbourne. And the Bulldogs almost took bottom spot away from Gold Coast.
Yeah no. The Dees went +10 inside 50s against one of the best midfields in the competition at home, and the Saints got overrun by one of the worst. Our forward 50 efficiency is poor against the top sides but now that we're fully fit again it's the exact style of play that at the very least saw us roll sides like St Kilda and the Dogs in 2018.

Guess you must be watching Different Games then we are because there many Games we can say Grundy got us the Win.

giphy.gif

Cripps looks good as he has to do pretty much everything for Carlton as they got stuff all around him. Why we are at the Top and they down the Bottom as we just don't have 1 good player
And that illustrates my point. Cripps and Fyfe are able to carry their teams to wins almost single handedly.

Where as Collingwood have a plethora of great midfielders around Grundy. It’s not like Carlton or Fremantle have a dominant forward that makes the difference when compared to Collingwood.

If Cripps and Fyfe had good teams around them, well Dusty and the Tigers would have more genuine challengers.

a few lines in here tickles my fancy

"AFL chief executive Gillon McLachlan said last week he was "very confident" there will be a NAB AFL Draft this year, even if the format is unclear and clubs have to select players based on performances before 2020."
AND
"Changing the draft age has also been all but ruled out despite several senior coaching advocating for it to be raised."

AFL obviously would be scrambling to make contingency's for how the draft order is set if the season doesn't return, but it seems more likely than not we will have a draft

And that illustrates my point. Cripps and Fyfe are able to carry their teams to wins almost single handedly.

Where as Collingwood have a plethora of great midfielders around Grundy. It’s not like Carlton or Fremantle have a dominant forward that makes the difference when compared to Collingwood.

If Cripps and Fyfe had good teams around them, well Dusty and the Tigers would have more genuine challengers.

So only Gun Players play for Crap Sides then?

Are you saying Dusty and Grundy can’t drag their teams to wins like Fyfe and Cripps because they have better teammates around them?

Raising the draft age is a no-no for me - I would go the other way, keep it at 18 and allow each team to select one seventeen year old. Benefits of choosing a 17 year old is they would only be part time, they can focus better on their study and overall there is less pressure on them in their 18th year.

Raising the draft age is a no-no for me - I would go the other way, keep it at 18 and allow each team to select one seventeen year old. Benefits of choosing a 17 year old is they would only be part time, they can focus better on their study and overall there is less pressure on them in their 18th year.
How would a 17 year old being drafted to the other side of the country be able to be part time at the club and part time school?

What about the the guys that didn’t get pick up as a 17 year old? won’t they still have pressure on them during their u18 year?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back