News Coronavirus and the draft

Remove this Banner Ad

No, the draft will go ahead. If there is no U18 footy this year, then recruiters will have to go on past performers. Its a compromised draft anyway, so most recruiters know who they are getting.

But think it will depend what August looks likel

I would not hold my Breath too much for footy be back in Vic in 2020

VFL has been cancelled: https://www.afl.com.au/news/462777/vfl-forced-to-cancel-season-after-covid-spike

A bit on NAB League too:
The setback has cast doubts over the return of the NAB League as well, which was due to begin on August 22, just days after the proposed six-week lockdown period ends.

However the AFL continues to work through ways for this year's top draftees to take to the field, with regional areas exempt from the restrictions.

It means the competition's country-based sides, which were already going to play off in one of the two NAB League conferences, could still feature as planned with options for the metropolitan clubs to be assessed.

They won’t need to leave the state. It’ll most likely be metro v country in 1 or more games.

Fair Enough but what IF they get Drafted by a Interstate Team but can't go to the Team?

I'm so glad we have Ugle-Hagan this year, basically removing us from the early stages of the draft, because the top end is going to be an absolute crapshoot with so little footy being played. Can imagine the rate of duds being picked early will be far higher than in previous years.

Wasn't Emerson Jeka rated as a potential Pick 1 a year out from his draft? (I recall he was seen as potential top 5 at one point). Injury obviously didn't help, but he ended up a rookie pick

I'm so glad we have Ugle-Hagan this year, basically removing us from the early stages of the draft, because the top end is going to be an absolute crapshoot with so little footy being played. Can imagine the rate of duds being picked early will be far higher than in previous years.

Wasn't Emerson Jeka rated as a potential Pick 1 a year out from his draft? (I recall he was seen as potential top 5 at one point). Injury obviously didn't help, but he ended up a rookie pick
The only person I recall saying Jeka was a possible top 10 talent is Twomey

The only person I recall saying Jeka was a possible top 10 talent is Twomey
He was the main high profile draft watcher pushing the idea, and likely as a result of it being Twomey, it was repeated all over the place back in late 2018 / early 2019.

I'm only really naming Jeka (there'd be other examples too) to emphasize the point that there can be massive changes in form and development over the course of a year, which we just don't get to see as much of due to the lack of consistent footy this year. On the flip side, Clayton Oliver and Marcus Bontempelli, a year out from their respective drafts, were both considered nowhere near the Pick 4 they were eventually taken at

He was the main high profile draft watcher pushing the idea, and likely as a result of it being Twomey, it was repeated all over the place back in late 2018 / early 2019.

I'm only really naming Jeka (there'd be other examples too) to emphasize the point that there can be massive changes in form and development over the course of a year, which we just don't get to see as much of due to the lack of consistent footy this year. On the flip side, Clayton Oliver and Marcus Bontempelli, a year out from their respective drafts, were both considered nowhere near the Pick 4 they were eventually taken at
Charlie Dean, Corey Watts are two others that pop to mind, both had decent bottom aged years (Charlie might've been more after a couple of good rounds, can't remember exactly) and came in as fairly well rated, so there's definitely concern over picking up guys like that

Jeka had massive hype around him after a strong u16 champs. Kevin Sheehan thought he was going to be top 3 material.

On the flip side, what is stopping JUH from turning out to be a dud like Jeka?

They would just have to complete two weeks hotel quarantine up here, at the AFL’s expense.

So likely arrive after the Christmas and New Years break.
GPS footy in Vic suspended indefinitely. Would this mean that it would push back nab league when it starts as it normally gets precedence which in turn push back the interstate comp

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On the flip side, what is stopping JUH from turning out to be a dud like Jeka?
Being in our academy and training with our AFL side is all that's helping really. Without that, he could just have likely been a rookie-standard player

Both highly rated under age key position players, one didn't fire a shot in his U/18 year & the other doesn't have an opportunity either way.
JUH had a far better bottom age year to Jeka and looked set to have a big year this year going off his pre-season for

JUH is also a more superior athlete in just about every facet to Jeka, Jeka had far more queries than JUH and tbh Jeka only has two and that he dominates with good delivery and his accuracy at goal.

IMO in 2020 they should role with a first round only, allow the top end kids who are usually the most ready to play straight away a chance.. although with a year of zero development its questionable if they would be ready but at least they get a chance..

They then should have an extended draft in 2021, with clubs required to de-list 5 players and only first round selection can be 18, all others must be 19+.. This could be the model moving forward where first round selections can be under 18s to allow the Rowell types to play but from round 2 the it must be 19+

Then those types wait an extra year, not the end of the world really.

I can't see the draft being affected unless the AFL cancels or alters the season time/length, which seems unlikely unless a chunk of players are personally affected by the virus
Think the academy series is almost dead, Brisbane declared a hotspot by NT government means their kids won't be able to come into Qld , think only the Sydney v GWS and Bris v Gc games will go ahead now

Think the academy series is almost dead, Brisbane declared a hotspot by NT government means their kids won't be able to come into Qld , think only the Sydney v GWS and Bris v Gc games will go ahead now
The bad news keeps coming , Melbourne goes to level 4 on Wednesday , Rest of Vic level 3 _ six weeks apparently_ no school s

would also end the vic country comp you'd imagine, being they would be in stage 3.
Yeah that's a shame , I feel that if the major recruiting competition in the comp can't proceed they should make the end of the year a mid (or between) season one with those players who would have been eligible for the one missed last year. They could then have another draft for the 2020 crop next May with a national carnival before it. Clubs who obviously want to participate in this draft could leave say three list spots open. Those that use the Matt Rowell argument when yes he is a superstar but he is also sitting in the stands and the same thing happened to Mark Murphy and extra 6 months gives them time to transition into becoming men physically and emotionally

Remove this Banner Ad

Back