briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
Coronavirus shuts down the season or part of the season.

If schools are shut down, presumably this impacts school sports. And possibly the U18 Championships.

Can the draft go ahead if the talent pool hasn’t been properly assessed?

Could we see expanded U19’s rules for the 2021 season, to allow for more kids to play next year.

Or could we see a late spring and summer season and a post Christmas draft?

Thoughts anyone.

And could we please keep the discussion purely draft focused.

Can the draft go ahead if the talent pool hasn’t been properly assessed?
Absolutely it would. Short of absolute devastation (like significant portion of the population dying, >5%) I highly doubt they'd stop the draft. Clubs work on these kids for YEARS - using Dom Sheed as an example, a number of clubs were calling his school and speaking directly to his teachers when he was 13/14 years old, all the way up until he was drafted. Obviously a lot changes in that final year, but clubs will already have a decent enough idea of who they are wanting to pick up. Even if the U18 competition were cancelled, there would still be some pretty good ideas around who the top kids are. I'm sure we'd end up with a lot more duds in the first round, and gems in the latter rounds

These kids have been followed by clubs since they were 14/15, most clubs would be confident in their work up until this point
If a massive chuck of the season was to be cancelled it would really impact the kids who really come on and mature in their top age year. I think of the kids that have not been on the draft radar but pop up and start putting their name forward, some in past years cody weightman, Sam Philip, Sam Sturt,Clayton oliver etc

If a massive chuck of the season was to be cancelled it would really impact the kids who really come on and mature in their top age year. I think of the kids that have not been on the draft radar but pop up and start putting their name forward, some in past years cody weightman, Sam Philip, Sam Sturt,Clayton oliver etc
Then those types wait an extra year, not the end of the world really.

I can't see the draft being affected unless the AFL cancels or alters the season time/length, which seems unlikely unless a chunk of players are personally affected by the virus

That’s the group I was thinking of.

You can add much more prominent names than that.

Pretty sure McCluggage, Taranto, or Rayner weren’t spoken about as top talents until during their top age year.

This time last year Lachie Ash was spoken about as a second round prospect. Same with McAsey and Bergman (I think).

I’m sure there’s examples from every year. Rayner, Brayshaw and Naughton from 2017.

Drafts like the 2018 draft appear to be the exception, rather than the rule, where pretty much the whole top 10 were being spoken about a year out, or even just during the preseason of their top age year.

Drafts like the 2018 draft appear to be the exception, rather than the rule, where pretty much the whole top 10 were being spoken about a year out, or even just during the preseason of their top age year.

Absolutely it would. Short of absolute devastation (like significant portion of the population dying, >5%) I highly doubt they'd stop the draft. Clubs work on these kids for YEARS - using Dom Sheed as an example, a number of clubs were calling his school and speaking directly to his teachers when he was 13/14 years old, all the way up until he was drafted. Obviously a lot changes in that final year, but clubs will already have a decent enough idea of who they are wanting to pick up. Even if the U18 competition were cancelled, there would still be some pretty good ideas around who the top kids are. I'm sure we'd end up with a lot more duds in the first round, and gems in the latter rounds
I wasn’t meaning the draft canceled entirely.

As I mentioned could we see the U18 season pushed back, so recruiters have a better assessment of all prospects and the draft class as a whole.

And there for the draft pushed back.

Pretty sure McCluggage, Taranto, or Rayner weren’t spoken about as top talents until during their top age year.

This time last year Lachie Ash was spoken about as a second round prospect. Same with McAsey and Bergman (I think).

I’m sure there’s examples from every year. Rayner, Brayshaw and Naughton from 2017.

Rayner, clug were always predicted to go high from their underage year. But as you highlighted really well so many kids come on in their top age year after not really being in the top 30 radar.

Forget the assessment of the talent pool, that's the least of the worries.

IF the season gets called off at some point, the 2020 draft order would be interesting, we might see the first AFL draft lottery.

I'd suggest the draft order is lotto'd from the Bottom 10 from 2019 then the remaining picks lotto'd from the top 8 sides from 2019.

IF the season gets called off at some point, the 2020 draft order would be interesting, we might see the first AFL draft lottery.

I'd suggest the draft order is lotto'd from the Bottom 10 from 2019 then the remaining picks lotto'd from the top 8 sides from 2019.
Personally I’d just go by the 2019 draft order.

That would be a big “win” for North most certainly.

As for a draft lottery, would you have a weighting to teams, or a pure lottery?

Personally I’d just go by the 2019 draft order.

That would be a big “win” for North most certainly.

As for a draft lottery, would you have a weighting to teams, or a pure lottery?
Cut you a deal where we can go with draft position by alphabetical order? ;)

If the season got cancelled part way through, I imagine you'd need to use either the bookies odds for finishing positions at time of closure, or some kind of model, such as the squiggle, to project where teams are likely to have finished.

Year before is probably the easy way out, but as we all know, things change a lot over an AFL preseason.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What about clubs like us who traded into the 2020 draft to enhance our hand.??We traded pick 8, so that surely has to remain in some way for 2020.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

What about clubs like us who traded into the 2020 draft to enhance our hand.??We traded pick 8, so that surely has to remain in some way for 2020.

You think so .
But it’s the AFL who make they own rules as things go along.
Maybe Gil can ask his 75k AFLX boy to see what he thinks Danger Danger Danger Danger

Isn’t this year the most compromised draft due to the academy kids? I still think it will go ahead, just that clubs may be more happy to go the minimum requirement with possibly less delistings.

You traded pick 8, knowing it could turn in to pick 1, or pick 18.

There’s no guarantee attached to any future pick, other than the GC PP 11 traded to Geelong.

Melbourne’s pick goes in to the lottery just like every other pick.

IF: the AFL plays less than 10 games and NAB league is cancelled

I would disband the main draft for a year, and roll it over to next year and make the NAB league (or whatever it is called) a u19 comp next year (making it a legit super draft).

If a club has a player retire or leave via FA this year, then have a mini draft similar to the Mid season or SSP of players who have previously nominates and passed over. Any FA compensation or draft picks from trades roll over.

Otherwise the lack of a true draft order is unfair personally To teams who are likely to bottom out this year (not tanking, just young squads) like Freo, Adelaide, Sydney or even Essendon due to our injuries.

I would disband the main draft for a year, and roll it over to next year and make the NAB league (or whatever it is called) a u19 comp next year (making it a legit super draft).

If a club has a player retire or leave via FA this year, then have a mini draft similar to the Mid season or SSP of players who have previously nominates and passed over. Any FA compensation or draft picks from trades roll over.

Otherwise the lack of a true draft order is unfair personally To teams who are likely to bottom out this year (not tanking, just young squads) like Freo, Adelaide, Sydney or even Essendon due to our injuries.
Can academy clubs automatically prelist any age eligible kids?

i.e. Can the Dogs automatically prelist JUH for next year? Similarly can the northern clubs automatically prelist any of their kids who have graduated school?

Hughey was a member of the AFL Academy mate, you don't usually get a gig in there unless you're rated quite highly coming into the season..

An article from last year's local Ballarat paper the Courier might interest you.

I think for the moment the nab league will process as usual, well under 500 people usually attend and so far it’s been shown a lot of kids under the age of 20 that contract the virus don’t even show signs like adults. I think if it’s gets to the middle of the year and sport is still semi locked down with no crowds but are back up and running, they might look to rework the national champs. Have a shorter comp at the one location to mitigate travel, each team could play their 4 games over 2-3 weeks.

Hughey was a member of the AFL Academy mate, you don't usually get a gig in there unless you're rated quite highly coming into the season..

An article from last year's local Ballarat paper the Courier might interest you.

He was added going in to his top age year, on the recommendation of the GWV coach, wasn’t he? He wasn’t a level 1 & 2 academy member.

I’m not saying he wasn’t rated. I am saying he wasn’t in top 10 discussions going in to his top age year.

He was added going in to his top age year, on the recommendation of the GWV coach, wasn’t he? He wasn’t a level 1 & 2 academy member.

I’m not saying he wasn’t rated. I am saying he wasn’t in top 10 discussions going in to his top age year.
I can't help you there but Hugh and Jarrod were both extremely highly rated within the Ballarat Rebels 4 walls coming off their under age year.

I remember vividly one of his 2015 TAC games against the Sandy Dragons played in Ararat where Hugh was dominant along with then teammate top ager Jacob Hopper for the Rebels.

Clubs are apparently begging Champion Data for footage of past games so that they can review that as part of their draft prep.

Also potential for topping up the lists ahead of season 2020, something about 60 players per club to enable more rotations with shorter breaks between games.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back