News Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion Thread II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
What a crock. This lockdown is a complete farce. We'd be far better off following the Swedish approach for me. Can't believe the bedwetting and hysteria over 20 deaths. 40k deaths a year in Victoria, Covid only .2 % of total deaths.
Isn’t that because the measures implemented have resulted in minimal deaths from Covid? It’s a different story Overseas. :stern look

Isn’t that because the measures implemented have resulted in minimal deaths from Covid? It’s a different story Overseas. :stern look
It's a good point Zondor.... we've certainly outperformed most countries on that score. However we've had very few people exposed to the virus and we've trashed our economy. Plus the lockdown will result in
Increased deaths from other causes eg delayed cancer treatment and elective surgeries plus patients dying of COPD in ambulances because they're not allowed to enter hospitals. Sweden on the other hand have reached threshold herd immunity and the virus will just fizzle out there now. Sure they've had a lot of deaths related to Covid but who knows how long those people would have lasted anyway. Plenty of people dying before Covid came along. In Australia we're nowhere near herd immunity so these flare ups will just keep happening with a surfeit of susceptible hosts for the virus.. Better off ripping off the band aid I reckon.

What a crock. This lockdown is a complete farce. We'd be far better off following the Swedish approach for me. Can't believe the bedwetting and hysteria over 20 deaths. 40k deaths a year in Victoria, Covid only .2 % of total deaths.
If we had similar results to sweden based on population we'd be at 12k deaths.

It's a good point Zondor.... we've certainly outperformed most countries on that score. However we've had very few people exposed to the virus and we've trashed our economy. Plus the lockdown will result in
Increased deaths from other causes eg delayed cancer treatment and elective surgeries plus patients dying of COPD in ambulances because they're not allowed to enter hospitals. Sweden on the other hand have reached threshold herd immunity and the virus will just fizzle out there now. Sure they've had a lot of deaths related to Covid but who knows how long those people would have lasted anyway. Plenty of people dying before Covid came along. In Australia we're nowhere near herd immunity so these flare ups will just keep happening with a surfeit of susceptible hosts for the virus.. Better off ripping off the band aid I reckon.
So I take it you're volunteering to contract it ASAP to speed up the process?

If we had similar results to sweden based on population we'd be at 12k deaths.
Sweden has had 5400 Vovid 19 deaths. They have on average 90k deaths per year. Still only 7.5%. Bear in mind that Covid targets the weak so many of those people that died of Covid would quite possible died that year anyway with no Covid. Influenza, ey .. Moving forward they will have hardly any deaths because they're reached threshold herd immunity and their death rate has plummeted exactly like it has in Italy. So they've taken their medicine. Its over for them now.

Have you thought that perhaps the reason there has only been 20 deaths in vic is because we contained the virus? Not to mention the fact that Sweden wishes they did things differently.

Here's their trend- I'm not sure your calls of a plateau are yet justified:
Screenshot_20200703-192932.png Screenshot_20200703-193003.png

Here's a decent flu season in Sweden for comparison:
Screenshot_20200703-193121.png

I'm not going to touch the "they were gonna die anyway" angle but I am going to ask you
How much do you love your mum?

Have you thought that perhaps the reason there has only been 20 deaths in vic is because we contained the virus? Not to mention the fact that Sweden wishes they did things differently.

Here's their trend- I'm not sure your calls of a plateau are yet justified:
View attachment 905368View attachment 905369

Here's a decent flu season in Sweden for comparison:
View attachment 905370

I'm not going to touch the "they were gonna die anyway" angle but I am going to ask you
How much do you love your mum?

I do love my Mum. I'm in favour of protecting high risk groups like the elderly and those on chemo or immunosupressed, which is what the Swedes advocated. Those people can breathe a little easier now in Sweden. Have a look at the graph for deaths not new cases for Sweden Cases are going up everywhere because everywhere is testing loads more plus the virus is highly contagious. However deaths are plummeting even in the US. Look at the death curve for NYC. Swedish grandmothers only had to be stressed for 3 months. It will go on for a lot longer in Australia. Not saying what we did initially is wrong. In fact quite the contrary, I believe it's been exceptionally well managed here. But we know a lot more about the virus now and doesn't mean we can't learn a lot from a different approach.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12K? Tis but a scratch for KK.
I'm no expert on this and I could well be completely wrong. I'm just fed up with constant hysteria in the daily news cycle and the way that anyone who advocates easing of restrictions is howled down as a greedy selfish murderer. Besides this an internet forum. The last thing we need is a banal echo chamber where everyone just masturbates each other.

More than 2000 students and 300 teachers and staff from a large independent school in Melbourne's west have been sent into quarantine and are being tested for COVID-19 following five new positive cases on Friday.

More than 2000 students and 300 teachers and staff from a large independent school in Melbourne's west have been sent into quarantine and are being tested for COVID-19 following five new positive cases on Friday.

This will be al-taqwa college in truganina. So, speaking of elephants in the room...

I do love my Mum. I'm in favour of protecting high risk groups like the elderly and those on chemo or immunosupressed, which is what the Swedes advocated. Those people can breathe a little easier now in Sweden. Have a look at the graph for deaths not new cases for Sweden Cases are going up everywhere because everywhere is testing loads more plus the virus is highly contagious. However deaths are plummeting even in the US. Look at the death curve for NYC. Swedish grandmothers only had to be stressed for 3 months. It will go on for a lot longer in Australia. Not saying what we did initially is wrong. In fact quite the contrary, I believe it's been exceptionally well managed here. But we know a lot more about the virus now and doesn't mean we can't learn a lot from a different approach.
I mean,
Screenshot_20200703-210822.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back