News Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion Thread II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This was his biggest mistake - let the unions dictate how this was done. To be the only state to knock back ADF assistance was the disastrous mistake. Add to that the 'perfectly' handled Cedar Meats where they tried to cover up Labor mates, the lack of a multi cultural approach to information dissemination (extraordinary) and this second wave sits on Dan's shoulders. Poor decisions and extremely poor management. There are still plenty of more stories to come out about mismanagement. Having the strictest lockdowns worked well for us despite many critics at the time. Cannot argue with the original results - then they dropped the ball and we all pay. Then Dan blames us? Understand that some people have become complacent - the BLM demonstration was a disaster. When Dan said don't go but if you do you won't be fined, sent a terrible message to the populous. Pi55 weak lefty crap - too weak to speak up and slam the protest march. That was the turning point.

For me the fact there's been no accountability for the traveller quarantine creates an issue with Dan trying to get the public to adhere to the lockdown rules.

Yes, the large majority will (hopefully) do the right thing, but he will have lost the public trust, and without that trust, his words won't carry as much weight.

That they can hide behind an "independent inquiry" for a couple of months is a shocker, but it is what it is.

I would suggest we will see MANY more breaches of the lockdown orders this time around, when it's probably more critical than the first time to adhere to them.

I wonder how many people will be deleting the covid app and providing their correct details when visiting a restaurant if thats the case?
Can't really argue with that, it's short sighted to leave worker welfare up to the employers, no matter how good they are for you.

For the record here's the criteria for the payment, it's not exactly easy to qualify, unless you're a casual worker with no hope of any support from your employers. Screenshot_20200708-122809.png

Can't really argue with that, it's short sighted to leave worker welfare up to the employers, no matter how good they are for you.

For the record here's the criteria for the payment, it's not exactly easy to qualify, unless you're a casual worker with no hope of any support from your employers.View attachment 908194
Thanks Tectonic. Guess I will just have to wait and see. Maybe Dan can provide some assistance given the fact he just got a 12% pay rise

Gentlemen, the end is in sight over here:

Bunnings sausage sizzle may be back by end of July

Ben Anderson
The West Australian
Wednesday, 8 July 2020

While coronavirus restrictions tighten in Victoria, WA may be moving even closer to normality with plans for the beloved Bunnings sausage to return this month.

The weekend tradition that helps much raise much-needed funds for community groups has been on hold since March but today the hardware giant confirmed it was working with local governments to have sausages sizzling by the end of July.
“We know people are missing our community sausage sizzles and we are working on a careful plan to bring them back in places where restrictions have eased,” said Bunnings chief operating officer Deb Poole.

”We are consulting with governments and our charity partners to ensure we bring them back in a way that’s safe for everyone.
“We hope to have them back up and running in WA towards the end of the month pending final checks and consultation.”

Wanneroo Sports and Social Club member Campbell Pudney said his group was booked to host a much-needed fund-raising sausage sizzle on August 1.
“It doesn’t mean very much to the public but it makes a huge difference to the local sporting clubs,” he told the 6PR Breakfast program.

When sausage sizzles were cancelled in March, Joondalup MLA Emily Hamilton said she had been contacted by several local organisations with concerns about how they would continue their community work.
“There are so many fantastic community and sporting organisations that for years have relied on their volunteers spending time cooking sausages outside local Bunnings stores, raising significant funds to support local projects,” Ms Hamilton said.

Rotary Club of Joondalup president Ralph Simulis told the Joondalup Times Bunnings sausage sizzles were “very important” to their club.
“In addition to raising needed funds for worthy local causes, it is an opportunity for us to connect with our Joondalup community and let them know what we are doing,” he said.

For me the fact there's been no accountability for the traveller quarantine creates an issue with Dan trying to get the public to adhere to the lockdown rules.

Yes, the large majority will (hopefully) do the right thing, but he will have lost the public trust, and without that trust, his words won't carry as much weight.

That they can hide behind an "independent inquiry" for a couple of months is a shocker, but it is what it is.

I would suggest we will see MANY more breaches of the lockdown orders this time around, when it's probably more critical than the first time to adhere to them.
I believe anybody in the position that Dan is would dodge the questions at this stage - he is not going to admit the absolute disaster caused by the hotel security was mismanagement by his Government. I get that. Generally the ultimate accountability is the ballot box and people have short memories. Dan got re-elected on the basis of one of the greatest political lies of all time - he would cancel the east west link and it would not cost us one cent. $2bil later........ and he still got re-elected so we have the Government we deserve. Teflon Dan is a master at deflection and all credit to him. Sadly, he also has no opposition. The Vic Libs are a rabble, poorly led and their leader has zero political cut through or presence. Not many Governments of any flavour set up enquiries that find strongly against them so I hold little hope the current enquiry will yield the truth. Time will tell.

There will still be no accountability when this happens again in November/December. You can't create a bubble if you keep allowing infected people into the bubble then balls up how you handle it. I actually think NSW will get infected before Victoria comes out of the current lockdown, because all the morons are blocked from flying into Melbourne, they have to go into Sydney now.

In March they should have said you have two weeks to return, then good luck wherever you are until the borders re-open after that. Maintaining an air tight virus quarantine with so many mouth breathing idiots around is just impossible. Get everyone who wants to return back here immediately, then after that is stay where you are until a treatment/vaccine is available.

If we did the sensible thing back then we could have contained this, people aren't going to suffer lockdown after lockdown, going to take my black lives matter sign and go to the park, court said I can protest. :stern look

Jair Bolsonaro testing positive for Covid....
I wonder if his experience will change his outlook, or will his inevitable full recovery reinforce his position?
The world would be a better place if he didn't recover but I'm not gonna wish that on anyone.

The individuals who caused this did so because they were derelict in their duty.

That is actually on them and no one else. Hasn't anyone here ever heard of personal responsibility?

The individuals who caused this did so because they were derelict in their duty.

That is actually on them and no one else. Hasn't anyone here ever heard of personal responsibility?

If there was ineffective due diligence on the security firm before awarding them the lucrative contract, then the ones who should have performed effective due diligence are responsible.

Specifically, if the Vic government appointed a contractor to do the work and it was reasonably foreseeable that they weren't adequate for the task, then the Vic government is responsible for the fustercluck because they were either negligent or the wrong decision was taken for political reasons (i.e. appease the unions).

If there was ineffective due diligence on the security firm before awarding them the lucrative contract, then the ones who should have performed effective due diligence are responsible.

Specifically, if the Vic government appointed a contractor to do the work and it was reasonably foreseeable that they weren't adequate for the task, then the Vic government is responsible for the fustercluck because they were either negligent or the wrong decision was taken for political reasons (i.e. appease the unions).

They’re a dodgy security firm. They chase kids through shopping centres. They have no idea about infection control. This should have been a state responsibility.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I believe anybody in the position that Dan is would dodge the questions at this stage - he is not going to admit the absolute disaster caused by the hotel security was mismanagement by his Government. I get that. Generally the ultimate accountability is the ballot box and people have short memories. Dan got re-elected on the basis of one of the greatest political lies of all time - he would cancel the east west link and it would not cost us one cent. $2bil later........ and he still got re-elected so we have the Government we deserve. Teflon Dan is a master at deflection and all credit to him. Sadly, he also has no opposition. The Vic Libs are a rabble, poorly led and their leader has zero political cut through or presence. Not many Governments of any flavour set up enquiries that find strongly against them so I hold little hope the current enquiry will yield the truth. Time will tell.

Holy crap, you just reminded me of something (that we should be extremely thankful for) gk... It was Matthew Guy that Andrews defeated in 2018. Can you imagine if Guy was the current premier!? We'd all be absolutely rooted. He would have locked down anyone that didn't pass him a brown paper bag full of cash. Restaurants & (up-market) pubs would only be open for the rich. And we'd have about double the high-rise apartment towers that we have now (unless they blocked the views of his mates)!

Last edited:
Matthew Guy
This is the one element I can't get past.

Andrews has clearly made mistakes. Big ones.

However the Victorian liberals were so far away from it last election it wasn't funny.

Perhaps the next election they might want to run something other than ads that go 'dur dur that guy is crap'

Not getting the ADF in charge of the hotels could/should be the end of Andrews in the wash up. The labor party however will still have 2 years to the next election even if it is.

There have been no deaths reported since yesterday. To date, 22 people have died from coronavirus in Victoria.

• 456 cases may indicate community transmissio
  • 860 cases are currently active in Victoria
  • 41 cases of coronavirus are in hospital, including 7 in intensive care
  • 2,058 people have recovered from the virus
  • Of the total cases, 2,575 cases are from metropolitan Melbourne, while 263 are from regional Victoria
  • Total cases include 1,545 are men and 1,372 are women
  • More than 1,008,000 tests have been processed to date

Of yesterday’s new cases which have already been linked to outbreaks, the breakdown is:
  • 7 new cases linked to the Al-Taqwa College outbreak, with the total now 102.
  • 2 cases relating to the North Melbourne and Flemington public housing towers, with the total now 75.
  • 1 case linked to the Stamford Plaza outbreak, which now totals 43
  • 1 new case at the PM Fresh facility in Broadmeadows, taking the total at the site to 2. Contact tracing is under way and appropriate testing of staff will be undertaken.

and that is absolutely the fault of the people who signed the contracts, the outgoing liberal state government, intentionally wasting 2 billion dollars to score political points, and it worked on you a treat.

and that is absolutely the fault of the people who signed the contracts, the outgoing liberal state government, intentionally wasting 2 billion dollars to score political points, and it worked on you a treat.
Not arguing the rights or wrongs of the contract. Andrews said not one cent - a $2 billion dollar lie.

3 cases in Canberra, all linked to the Melbourne outbreak.

I think it time to consider levelling Melbourne for the safety of the rest of the country. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back