News Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion Thread II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, look I had a sense of humour about this when it was about guy in China who woke up one morning with a penchant for poached bat on toast.👍

But now in Victoria, because some f#ckwitt working at the Rydges Hotel supposed to be doing security, and who couldn't keep it in his pants is just wearing the patience of 5 million Melburnians and 50,000 people from Whittlesea to Seymour a little thin. 👎

Last edited:

That concept doesn't exist in politics. Except, of course, when it comes to taking credit for something positive.

It doesn't exist anywhere.

The people who spread this virus are also responsible for this situation. The people in quarantine and their guards. Who are basically mercenaries. Believe it or not proper mercenary contracts have a dereliction of duty is punishable with death clause. It's all well and good to blame politicians but people failed to do their job. They need to cop some serious trouble given the consequences.

I wasn't expecting any from politicians. Remember the NSW plague boat?

Everyone involved in NSW health up to and including the minister still had their jobs last time I looked.

They’re a dodgy security firm. They chase kids through shopping centres. They have no idea about infection control. This should have been a state responsibility.

True. I was implying that the Vic government should have picked that up before appointing them, as it seems like common knowledge.

So, it's either unforgivable negligence or unforgivable corruption.

If there was ineffective due diligence on the security firm before awarding them the lucrative contract, then the ones who should have performed effective due diligence are responsible.

It's MSS isn't it? They hold al sorts of contracts for defence as I mentioned earlier, as well as doing judicial security in courts. I think they do prisoner transport and a whole lot of other high security jobs and have for ages. I don't know who or how the due diligence was done on this but surely it couldn't have been wtte of "you'll let a bunch of untrained, unqualified idiots with no sense of responsibility run this? No wukkas here is your cash."

Specifically, if the Vic government appointed a contractor to do the work and it was reasonably foreseeable that they weren't adequate for the task, then the Vic government is responsible for the fustercluck because they were either negligent or the wrong decision was taken for political reasons (i.e. appease the unions).

I totally agree but that particular company? It's not reasonably forseeabLe IMO. Its not Biker Joe and Pack of Tattooed CLINTS security service, it's a very reputable subsidiary of a massive, successful, international security conglomerate. They gave multiple important government contracts in Australia already.

Maybe we should be looking at those contracts now.

They’re a dodgy security firm. They chase kids through shopping centres. They have no idea about infection control. This should have been a state responsibility.

They also do other gov work in NSW and Canberra. Which should probably also be state responsibilities.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The issue may be that MSS got then contract on the basis of their reputation BUT they then went out and hired unskilled staff to do the job.
I've been involved in many govt contracts where companies list their key highly qualified staff but when they get then contract the staff are no longer available.
Fortunately, the new staff were up to the task.

I can’t help but wonder if it will end up being all of Vic in a few weeks with the lag time. There were a lot of visitors up here last week.
I wonder the same as the cases spreading ATM in Australia are people who are somehow still travelling from Melbourne hotspots (1 in Merimbula and three in Canberra today). It makes you wonder how far and deep the virus really has spread in Melbourne?

On a positive note, we only have 41 people hospitalised with just 7 in ICU and none that need ventilators. Hopefully vulnerable people are taking precautions to avoid getting infected.

In other good news, after panic buying (again), there was so much toilet paper at my Woolworths that it not only filled the aisle but it was almost impossible to get through the aisle there was so much TP stacked up on the floor as well.

We've just had a family of 4 from Melbourne cut short their holiday at Port Fairy last week after a close relative tested positive. Locals not happy.
Was in a shop this arvo, the woman in front of me was complaining about all the people being down here, then trotted out "we live in Melbourne but there is only the 2 of us"

We've just had a family of 4 from Melbourne cut short their holiday at Port Fairy last week after a close relative tested positive. Locals not happy.

Was in a shop this arvo, the woman in front of me was complaining about all the people being down here, then trotted out "we live in Melbourne but there is only the 2 of us"

Did you tell her to haul her disease ridden carcas back to where it belongs?

That is incredible.

Did you tell her to haul her disease ridden carcas back to where it belongs?

That is incredible.
Nope, she fell into the stereotype category that would be incredibly dismissive of my type. You know, people who have to work and can't afford a ski trip to Aspen. Actually think the lady working in the shop told her she needed to be back home by 6 or whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back