News Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion Thread II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep there does. Let’s analyse the decisions systematically; news Corp screeching from the sidelines is not helping.
No no no, now we're blaming unions. Get on board.

me thinks the response to an emergency has created a disaster..
ever since belt rd signage the state labor party thought they were the smartest in the room. they’ve ignored advice on so many levels.
There honestly needs to be a federal royal commission into Victoria’s handling of the crisis.

This clusterf*ck had nothing whatsoever to do with “wokeness”. This is all about hubris. Dan Andrews had been very successful on many levels and he got ahead of himself. Never has the lesson of “your greatest strength can turn out to be your downfall” been demonstrated so devastatingly. I’ve been one of Dan’s cheer-squad for various reasons. However, he’s cooked his own goose on this occasion and totally deserves any blowback that comes his way. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

No no no, now we're blaming unions. Get on board.
No I’m blaming disaster capitalism where private companies are making a killing in a time of crisis, usually at the expense of low paid workers..
If you can’t see that’s what happened, I can’t help you.
This clusterf*ck had nothing whatsoever to do with “wokeness”. This is all about hubris. Dan Andrews had been very successful on many levels and he got ahead of himself. Never has the lesson of “your greatest strength can turn out to be your downfall” been demonstrated so devastatingly. I’ve been one of Dan’s cheer-squad for various reasons. However, he’s cooked his own goose on this occasion and totally deserves any blowback that comes his way. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Absolutely the labor party in Victoria have done such a great job in so many things, they’re very forward thinking, done a lot of good building projects. But they’ve messed this up which is unforgivable.

Penman should take his $$$ millions and maybe see how he can help his franchisee's.

If every Jim Penman and Clive Palmer says l should be exempt, how many others ? Everybody doing it tough. Medicine is nasty sometimes. But you have to take it.
Jim Penman one of the all-time campaigners from what I understand. Even his own family hate him.

A few weeks back we would have been horrified with just shy of 500 cases. Now it’s a good number.

Let’s hope it doesn’t get to the point of “943 is a good number, lower than the 1,052 we had yesterday” lol.

The Australian modelling sounds very unrealistic, perhaps under stage 3 that could have been the case, forecasting 8 days in a row of 1,000+ cases is garbage, no way the numbers will still be peaking 3 weeks from now.

I don't know. It is only a few days ago that the Government actually started to enforce home quarantine properly. When they did nearly a third of those who had tested positive were not at home. That's circa 1,500 people out and about in the community with a highly infectious disease. That still has another week or two to play out in the numbers.

No I’m blaming disaster capitalism where private companies are making a killing in a time of crisis, usually at the expense of low paid workers..
If you can’t see that’s what happened, I can’t help you.

Absolutely the labor party in Victoria have done such a great job in so many things, they’re very forward thinking, done a lot of good building projects. But they’ve messed this up which is unforgivable.
If you cant read the posters actually blaming unions in this thread, then i cant help you either.

If you cant read the posters actually blaming unions in this thread, then i cant help you either.
If the money handed across was equal/equivalent to normal costs and normal work then sure blame the unions members.. but it wasn’t, this was money thrown at specific companies, who were ill equipped to deal with the crisis and profited from the experience.
everyone involved should be put in the stocks in fed square.

Last edited:
There is no doubt a dodgy deal with the unions is a big part of what went wrong but accountability has to sit at the political level and that's Pakula and Andrews.
Show me proof and ill spin on a dime.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Show me proof and ill spin on a dime.
Contracts were given to companies aligned to Pakula's union without any tender process and clearly inadequate management and oversite. I'm not suggesting that there was necessarily any union corruption involved but it was clearly political patronage of a preferred union. I the order of blame the Minister and Premier and the companies who accepted the contracts sit well above the unions.

Contracts were given to companies aligned to Pakula's union without any tender process and clearly inadequate management and oversite. I'm not suggesting that there was necessarily any union corruption involved but it was clearly political patronage of a preferred union. I the order of blame the Minister and Premier and the companies who accepted the contracts sit well above the unions.
Well see thats what i am looking for here, becuase thats what the message from some posters is: its all the damn unions fault.

Well see thats what i am looking for here, becuase thats what the message from some posters is: its all the damn unions fault.

I haven't read too far back and haven't seen those comments. I can only be held to account for what I say and if I am wrong on something will be happy to put my hand up.

The failure of hotel quarantine security is a big part of the disaster we are facing in Vic but not the complete story. The state government has failed on multiple levels. They let people walk out of hotel quarantine without taking a test, they knocked back the offer of 1,000 ADF personnel to assist with contact tracing, they failed to enforce home-based quarantine and self-isolation, and Andrews' communications gave massively mixed messages contributing to lack of community alertness to the risk.

The claim that every other state only used police or ADF is false, for what it's worth. Not that it makes what happened right, but the potential for this to jump hotel quarantine due to laxity in enforcement isn't confined to one state only - even those of us in other states are still far from out of the woods. We need to remain vigilant and limit movement - it only takes one case to jump to the community.

Last edited:
So that modelling in the Australian was not from the gov.

"Victorians face weeks of higher coronavirus infections, with average daily cases to peak at 1100 by the end of next week and staying above 1000 for eight days.
The Victorian government’s own estimates, obtained by The Australian, show the average number of new cases is not expected to decline until the last week of August."

The claim that every other state only used police or ADF is false, for what it's worth. Not that it makes what happened right, but the potential for this to jump hotel quarantine due to laxity in enforcement isn't confined to one state only.

This is what gets me in particular. That there is actually very little to no difference between the states on how it was run, yet its treated as if we went it alone, or dans some megalomaniac running things.

Again, all ot does is stink of political point scoring.

"Victorians face weeks of higher coronavirus infections, with average daily cases to peak at 1100 by the end of next week and staying above 1000 for eight days.
The Victorian government’s own estimates, obtained by The Australian, show the average number of new cases is not expected to decline until the last week of August."

Someone’s lying.

This is what gets me in particular. That there is actually very little to no difference between the states on how it was run, yet its treated as if we went it alone, or dans some megalomaniac running things.

Again, all ot does is stink of political point scoring.

Yep.

As I've said numerous times here, I don't actually agree with how it was handled and if I had a choice we would have been on an elimination strategy from day one.

But, the failures have been across all levels of government, across virtually all states (maybe Tasmania as an exception?). But the media has formed a consensus to pin it all on one bloke (who they have had it out for since long before COVID), while the rest of the national cabinet - including the PM who has clearly scaled back the state governments' responses at various stages - get portrayed as heroes. Even now as he steps up his response to try to contain this thing he's copping shade from other members of the national cabinet for not accommodating business (who want zero restrictions) enough. I'm fairly convinced that if it wasn't for the presence of a few state governments on national cabinet that we would have never got out of our 'first' wave - it would have run through us very quickly. Again, that's not to say that things were handled perfectly.

People are eating this stuff up. It's bizarre, but not unexpected.

Yep.

As I've said numerous times here, I don't actually agree with how it was handled and if I had my way we would have been on an elimination strategy from day one.

But, the failures have been across all levels of government, across virtually all states (maybe Tasmania as an exception?). But the media has formed a consensus to pin it all on one bloke (who they have had it out for since long before COVID), while the rest of the national cabinet - including the PM who has clearly scaled back the state governments' responses at various stages - get portrayed as heroes. And people are eating it up. It's bizarre, but not unexpected.

The Murdoch press is elbow deep. The Andrews govt has made grave errors, but their policies are not flagrantly out if step with other states. This dictator dan or comrade dan stuff is emotional s**t. Let’s find out exactly what mistakes we’re made, why they were made and hold them accountable. Not based on what bolt , the herald sun or twitter idiots say.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back