News Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion Thread II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You shouldn't be a casual, the company just wants to avoid having to pay entitlements you should have accumulated working that much for them.

I think it is sad how many companies posted massive profits and treated their workers like trash.

I agree, but it is what it is. They'd say because I'm getting a loading it justifies it. By being casual they can termiate my employment with only 24 hours notice. It really is exploitation, not that I've ever heard of them doing it.

I'm savvy enough to put away money every forrnight for when I take holidays, sick leave etc. I'm 2 months short of 7 years with this mob, meaning even though I'm casual I'll still be entitled to paid pro rata long service leave.

I agree, but it is what it is. They'd say because I'm getting a loading it justifies it. By being casual they can termiate my employment with only 24 hours notice. It really is exploitation, not that I've ever heard of them doing it.

I'm savvy enough to put away money every forrnight for when I take holidays, sick leave etc. I'm 2 months short of 7 years with this mob, meaning even though I'm casual I'll still be entitled to paid pro rata long service leave.

Is there a right to request conversion clause in your Award?

Is there a right to request conversion clause in your Award?

Yeah, I think they is. Laziness on my behalf.

TBH, I've just been drifting along as we're in a good position where I probably don't need to work fulltime anyway, but that's not the point.

I feel for the young blokes I work with that have a family, trying to get into the housing market. Makes it bloody hard.

Yeah, I think they is. Laziness on my behalf.

TBH, I've just been drifting along as we're in a good position where I probably don't need to work fulltime anyway, but that's not the point.

I feel for the young blokes I work with that have a family, trying to get into the housing market. Makes it bloody hard.

Yeah mate, it sucks. Unfortunately the labour market is only getting worse.

Between casualisation, the gig economy, sham contracting, and general underemployment - which was all a growing problem BEFORE covid tipped our economy properly into a recession - virtually every working class 18-35 year old I know feels insecure and without hope.

A few mates of mine were working two jobs but never able to get a consistent, full-time 38 hours per week. Once JobKeeper came in for the first time in their lives they'd received the full-time minimum wage. They finally managed to pay off their debts, although still living hand to mouth. Then they hear the leader of the Labor Party get on TV and say that people who weren't working 38 hours a week shouldn't be getting the full $750. They just feel like there's no way out.

We are getting off the COVID topic now but I guess what I'm saying is I hear you, it's crap and there needs to be a better way. It's just that as mentioned elsewhere in this thread, the political options are just two different shades of the same product.

Got a mate 6 days into isolation, the closest my ignorance has come to being breached. He's in the job and came into contact with a very determined, non mask wearing, Covid19 positive bloke.

Spider , I noticed your posting is extremely casual. Just puttin' it out there.

Well, hes... persistent...

"Clive Palmer is suing the Western Australian Government for almost $30 billion, Attorney General John Quigley has revealed in Parliament.

Mr Quigley said the claims related to the Queensland billionaire’s iron ore interests in the Pilbara and his Mineralogy company.

The A-G introduced emergency legislation to deal with the damages claims and to “prevent potentially dire consequences for the State”.

He said Mr Palmer has made two claims for damages that total almost $30 billion, which is nearly equivalent to the State Government’s total annual Budget."

"In relation to the first damages claim — which arises from Mr Barnett’s 2012 rejection of the proposal — Mr Palmer and the companies seek damages of $10.72 billion.

A further damages claim of $11.37 billion has been lodged for the loss associated with being unable to sell any project required under the State Agreement.

Another $37.1 million is being sought for the “wasted expenditure” they says was incurred, plus lost royalties totalling $326 million and interest from October 2012 valued at $5.21 billion.

The first damages claim totals $27.66 billion, while the level of the second claim — arising from Mr Barnett’s imposition in July 2014 of 46 conditions — has yet to be quantified by Mr Palmer, Mineralogy and International Minerals."

I don't think he wants WA votes...

Well, hes... persistent...

"Clive Palmer is suing the Western Australian Government for almost $30 billion, Attorney General John Quigley has revealed in Parliament.

Mr Quigley said the claims related to the Queensland billionaire’s iron ore interests in the Pilbara and his Mineralogy company.

The A-G introduced emergency legislation to deal with the damages claims and to “prevent potentially dire consequences for the State”.

He said Mr Palmer has made two claims for damages that total almost $30 billion, which is nearly equivalent to the State Government’s total annual Budget."

"In relation to the first damages claim — which arises from Mr Barnett’s 2012 rejection of the proposal — Mr Palmer and the companies seek damages of $10.72 billion.

A further damages claim of $11.37 billion has been lodged for the loss associated with being unable to sell any project required under the State Agreement.

Another $37.1 million is being sought for the “wasted expenditure” they says was incurred, plus lost royalties totalling $326 million and interest from October 2012 valued at $5.21 billion.

The first damages claim totals $27.66 billion, while the level of the second claim — arising from Mr Barnett’s imposition in July 2014 of 46 conditions — has yet to be quantified by Mr Palmer, Mineralogy and International Minerals."

I don't think he wants WA votes...

Do we even have 30 *en billion dollars?, who the * has 30 billion dollars? And how the * do your lawyers keep a straight face when Sweaty Palmer says let's sue for 30 billion ******* dollars??

Christ we have people , good folk worrying about paying for a $300.00 gas bill🤦‍♂️. They say the meek will inherit the earth- tic *en toc!!.

Oh maybe I aint so meek, but s**t surely you'll take me?

Do we even have 30 fu**en billion dollars?, who the fu** has 30 billion dollars? And how the fu** do your lawyers keep a straight face when Sweaty Palmer says let's sue for 30 billion ******* dollars??

Christ we have people , good folk worrying about paying for a $300.00 gas bill🤦‍♂️. They say the meek will inherit the earth- tic fu**en toc!!.

Oh maybe I aint so meek, but sh*t surely you'll take me?
Ha ha, even i know a billion is a 1 followed by 9 zero's, but recently i heard our old mate Donald Trump talking about his deficit in Trillions, had to Google it to find out it is 1, followed by 12 zero's, so 30 billion not that big a number really :think:

Ha ha, even i know a billion is a 1 followed by 9 zero's, but recently i heard our old mate Donald Trump talking about his deficit in Trillions, had to Google it to find out it is 1, followed by 12 zero's, so 30 billion not that big a number really :think:

From the article:
"Put another way, if the claim was shared equally among all Western Australians, it would cost every man, woman and child more than $12,000. "

He should make that the motto of the Palmer Party and see how he goes

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Covid back in NZ after 100 days of non detection, auckland going back to stage 3.

Does that mean that the virus has been slowly moving through the community and no one has had bad enough symptoms to get tested? Or does it mean that the testing results aren't as accurate as we would like to believe?

Covid back in NZ after 100 days of non detection, auckland going back to stage 3.

This is the sort of proof that shows until there is a widely available vaccine we are unlikely to be out of the woods.

Does that mean that the virus has been slowly moving through the community and no one has had bad enough symptoms to get tested? Or does it mean that the testing results aren't as accurate as we would like to believe?
Could just be a case of getting frozen TV dinners shipped over from Spain..
I believe that was the case for why so many cruise ships went down together.

This is the sort of proof that shows until there is a widely available vaccine we are unlikely to be out of the woods.
At best i think the reality is you can slow the spread somewhat to by your medical and aged areas some time to get their houses in order, but you still need to get your medical and aged areas in order sooner or later. It looks like we failed bigtime with regards to the elderly, and its not like we didnt have a massive heads up 16 years ago after the kerosine baths affair among others.

About that brief discussion about news Corp publishing secret government modelling.

They stole it from a twitter user. Even reprinted his error.

When Murdoch dies hopefully the entire media org collapses.

Will anyone who takes it over be better?

Will anyone who takes it over be better?

It holds a disproportionate amount of media influence.

They’re literally stealing twitter stuff to make the govt look bad and scare people. The govt deserves to be raked across the coals. But this is not journalism.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back