News Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion Thread II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Victoria records new coronavirus death

The number of people that have died from Coronavirus in Australia has risen to 102, after the death of a man in Victoria. Victoria’s Health Department says the man in his 60s died in hospital.

The state’s number of confirmed cases has also risen by nine to a total of 1,602. None of the new cases are currently linked to the Cedar Meats outbreak in Melbourne's west, which sits at 111 cases including 67 staff.

=====

New cases in the past 24 hours:

Vic: 9
NSW: 3
Qld: 2

Last edited:

We're under 1.00 which is great, but would love to get this under 0.80 by the time we get to June:

a380f1a7-9440-47b4-95a1-b91a66796d27_800.png

But but but we have to get back and play a few games just so we don't feel guilty giving Liverpool the title:

=====

More positive tests among English Premier League clubs

Two people from two Premier League clubs have tested positive for the coronavirus after a second batch of testing, the English Premier League has confirmed.

Since the players returned to limited group training, eight positive tests for the virus have been confirmed from England's top-flight clubs.

"The Premier League can today confirm that on Tuesday May 19, Thursday May 21 and Friday May 22, 996 players and club staff were tested for COVID-19. Of these, two have tested positive from two clubs," the statement said. "The Premier League is providing this aggregated information for the purposes of competition integrity and transparency. "Players or club staff who have tested positive will now self-isolate for a period of seven days."

The Premier League said it would not be providing details of the identities of the two new positive tests

Just curious, why specifically that number?

0.80?... Well, If I'm gonna have to send a kid to school and/or hop onto a train into the CBD over the next week, then I'd personally just like to see continual improvement... We were just over 1.00 last week, so "so far, so good". But there have been other times in May where we were 0.90'ish. I understand that increased testing and a cluster or two had it increase, but I'd still like to see that continual improvement myself. Yeah, it's a bit arbitrary, but I think it's all this "beginning to ease restrictions & open up".

Some good news for America, I guess:

=====

New York's daily death toll below 100 for first time in months

The COVID-19 daily death toll in the US state of New York has dropped below 100 for the first time since late March. Governor Andrew Cuomo has announced that 84 people have died in the past 24 hours, compared to 109 the day before. New York has been the worst-hit state in the coronavirus pandemic, with close to 1,000 people losing their lives each day at the height of the outbreak in mid-April.

Governor Cuomo says this latest tally is a sign of real progress:

"Eighty-four is still a tragedy no doubt, but the fact that its down as low as it is, is really overall good news."

Andrews loosening restrictions.

From Tuesday (May 26):

• Outdoor playgrounds, skateparks and outdoor communal gym equipment will reopen

From Monday (June 1):

• You will be able to have a total of 20 people in your home. For a family of five, that means 15 visitors. Outdoor gatherings can also increase to 20.
  • Overnight stays can resume at private residences, as well as overnight stays in accommodation. This will apply to campgrounds and caravan parks, but not those with communal facilities like kitchens and bathrooms.
  • Up to 20 people will be allowed at weddings – plus the celebrant and couple – and up to 50 people allowed at a funeral, in addition to those required to conduct the ceremony. Up to 20 will be allowed at other religious ceremonies, in addition to those required to perform the service.
  • Libraries, youth centres and other community facilities will be able to open with no more than 20 people in a single area, plus those needed to operate the space. Men’s sheds and arts and crafts classes can resume.
  • Entertainment and cultural venues like galleries, museums, drive-in cinemas and historic sites will be able to open their doors, alongside zoos and outdoor amusement parks. Physical distancing and a limit of up to 20 patrons per space will apply, and indoor venues will be required to keep customer contact details.
  • Swimming pools will also open with limits of 20 people and additional safety requirements in place. Community sporting activities will also be permitted with up to 20 people in undivided spaces, provided the sport is outdoors, noncompetition, non-contact, and people are able to play 1.5 metres apart.
  • Restrictions on professional sport will remain unchanged.
  • Beauty and personal care services like nail salons, spas, tattoo parlours will be able to open with up to 20 customers per space – with customer contact details required to be kept.
  • Auctions and open for inspections will also be subject to the 20-person limit – plus those required to conduct the activity – with agents also required to keep the contact details of everyone who attends.
  • Non-food and drink market stalls will also be able to open.

Mr Andrews says the state will look to further relax restrictions from June 22 if transmission rates continue to remain low:

- The number of patrons at pubs, cafes and restaurants can increase to up to 50.

- The number of people attending galleries, museums, zoos and other entertainment venues will also increase to 50.

- The ski season will be able to kick off from June 22 and indoor gyms and sports venues will be able open to up to 20 people, with 10 people able to take part in group activities.

- Indoor cinemas, concert venues, theatres, arenas and stadiums will also be able to reopen, hosting up to 50 seated patrons.

Premier Dan Andrews said that Victorians must continue to work from home, saying that staying out of the office where possible is one of the most important measures when it comes to preventing the spread of COVID 19. “One thing that won’t change is working from home… It’s the greatest risk and contributes the greatest to the potential of a second wave,” Mr Andrews said.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Still "alcohol with meals only" the whole way through there. Hopefully that can be relaxed sooner rather than later but I can understand why nightclubs and such are still no go, we don't want a South Korea type situation

I noticed that too... But I wonder if it has more to do with the fact that some establishments won't open with the numbers restrictions due to not being able to make a profit just through people drinking. At least they may make something out of selling a $30 parma & pot.

Plus, most people are used to booking ahead to have a meal... I don't think Bob the Builder is used to calling ahead to have a beer.

I noticed that too... But I wonder if it has more to do with the fact that some establishments won't open with the numbers restrictions due to not being able to make a profit just through people drinking. At least they may make something out of selling a $30 parma & pot.

Plus, most people are used to booking ahead to have a meal... I don't think Bob the Builder is used to calling ahead to have a beer.
You make significantly more off 3 pints than off a Parma.
The food and bev side of my work is worth 30k a week. The nightclub side is worth 80k

You think the govt considered the likelihood of a business making a profit before making these changes?

Food is a higher level of 'necessity' than booze. It is that simple, I reckon.

You make significantly more off 3 pints than off a Parma.
The food and bev side of my work is worth 30k a week. The nightclub side is worth 80k

Tectonic just due to overheads? Always wondered what the markup was on a pint

Tectonic just due to overheads? Always wondered what the markup was on a pint
Yeah so cost of goods sold for food at a average pub is about 28% for a standard meal and 50%on specials night, thanks to the race to the bottom with food prices ($15/20 is still the standard special of the night price even though produce costs have risen and portion sizes at most places have either remained static or increased (not speaking about franchise establishments there, they have definitely decreased portion sizes)). the slight increase in wage costs and dramatic increase in rent and other overheads, you end up with about 5-10% straight profit from a meal on average, if you are getting a consistent crowd in anyway.

Alcohol for the house pour/standard pint you end up with anything from 20% or so, even if it's happy hour it's still good margins. Then you have spirits, say $12 for a basic neat? If you buy Johnny red at liquorland it's 38. So maybe 30 bucks at wholesale. 700ml, so 23 shots @12 = $276.
There's a lot less labour and skill involved in opening and pouring a bottle of whiskey when compared to a Parma as well.
The real money's definitely in the alcohol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back