News Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion Thread II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is crappy news for Bachar. The muslim community has been right in the middle of this 2nd wave so hopefully his words and others will help the community get behind the lockdown and social distancing. Their religious holidays have fallen smack bang in the middle of this and that is why they have had more issues
Religion has been a super spreader of Covid everywhere. It was the major infection point in South Korea, France, plenty of outbreaks in the USA, and now has driven the second wave in Victoria.

Religion has been a super spreader of Covid everywhere. It was the major infection point in South Korea, France, plenty of outbreaks in the USA, and now has driven the second wave in Victoria.

It’s the enormous elephant in the room of Victoria.

" Peter V'landys has welcomed the prospect of an AFL grand final in Sydney, cheekily suggesting the best city in the world has plenty of room for more second-rate events "

Might be begging for an NRL hub in Melbourne if NSW cases keep rising Pete.
I thought they’d restricted crowd numbers in the NRL but I was watching the other day and there was nearly 2000 people in the crowd. They’re obviously back to no restrictions.

In Victoria at the current time:

• 641 cases may indicate community transmission
  • 1612 cases are currently active in Victoria
  • 72 cases of coronavirus are in hospital, including 17 in intensive care
  • 2329 people have recovered from the virus
  • Of the total cases, 3552 cases are from metropolitan Melbourne, while 293 are from regional Victoria
  • Total cases include 2100 men and 1856 women
  • More than 1,148,300 tests have been processed

Cases currently linked to public housing in North Melbourne, Flemington and Carlton are as follows:

• 242 cases are residents of various public housing towers in North Melbourne and Flemington. Investigations are continuing into how these cases are linked.
  • 32 cases are residents of various public housing towers in Carlton. Investigations are continuing into if and/or how these cases are linked.

Cases currently linked to some other outbreaks are as follows:

• Six cases have been linked to LaManna Supermarket Essendon
  • 12 cases have been linked to Somerville Retail Services
  • Eight cases have been linked to Cenvic Construction Riverina Apartments in Footscray
  • 26 cases have been linked to Menarock Life Aged Care Facility in Essendon
  • 13 cases have been linked Glendale Aged Care Facility in Werribee
  • 144 cases have been linked to Al-Taqwa College
  • Two cases have been linked to Japara Central Park Aged Care in Windsor

My sister went through stage 4 restrictions in NZ, maybe that is what is needed to get through to some peoples thick heads to take this seriously again. Complacency has well and truly kicked in.

Last edited:
My sister went through stage 4 restrictions in NZ, maybe that is what is needed to get through to some peoples thick heads to take this seriously again. Complacency has week and truly kicked in.
She say how it was?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My sister went through stage 4 restrictions in NZ, maybe that is what is needed to get through to some peoples thick heads to take this seriously again. Complacency has well and truly kicked in.

I spent over a week in forced isolation (close contact with a confirmed case). It’s actually quite psychological not been able to leave your home at all . The only way I would advocate this is if we could completely eliminate the virus from within Victoria.
I agree people had become increasingly complacent about the virus and believe a lot of that blame is a result of the state government. I personally felt Dan Andrews did a really good job (initially) given the difficult circumstances. I think now it’s as much about frustration as complacency in terms of people’s mindsets . I’d like the premier to take accountability for the mistakes that have been made, and I like many others would be much more inclined to listen to what he has to say . I’m at a point now that when he speaks I just turn it off

For me the fact there's been no accountability for the traveller quarantine creates an issue with Dan trying to get the public to adhere to the lockdown rules.

Yes, the large majority will (hopefully) do the right thing, but he will have lost the public trust, and without that trust, his words won't carry as much weight.

That they can hide behind an "independent inquiry" for a couple of months is a shocker, but it is what it is.

I would suggest we will see MANY more breaches of the lockdown orders this time around, when it's probably more critical than the first time to adhere to them.

complacency? I’m shocked to be sitting here.

This may or may not be a popular opinion (and I know it's not easy for many of them), but I think employers (in general) have a huge role to play in getting us to where we need to be.

My personal simple example is that my employer won't let the majority of our company work from home - when we clearly can. Obviously, they're doing all the right things in the office (because that's basically law), but what about on public transport, etc... If pulled up/dobbed in, they'd simply talk their way out of it regarding having employees in the office.

And then I read this, which smells of taking a shortcut to me:

Authorities are particularly concerned about three Aged Care home outbreaks — Menarock Life in Essendon, Estia Health in Ardeer and Glendale Aged Care in Werribee. It is believed the Estia outbreak started when an employee, who also worked at Menarock, attended both sites after becoming infected.

Where'd you hear this? I don't think the supply chains for coles and woolies would be that fragile
Caught the tail end of the story on Nine news last night, there is a very small item about it on page 9 of todays Herald Sun, looks like maybe they don't want it to be a major talking point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back