News Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion Thread II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The political influences on the shaping of society over the years, not isolated instances.
Ok fair enough.

That's probably alot ore of a complex thing than we could really cover in a few words here. I egos a prettying if fervent the me on what has shaped our society to over the last 75 years to most people.

I'm gonna leave that as a testament to the power of predictive text.

It's sposed to read "I've got a pretty different take than most on what has shaped.."

It highlights the people's disregard of contemporary politics and politicians.

The idiots in charge think the masses are bubbling with enthusiasm over their directions, when in truth most get elected only because the way the system is stacked and because they are the "least disliked". It therefore comes as no suprise when the "least disliked" start constantly issuing directions that effect everyday norms.

I just got off the line from a conference with two highly credentialed professors (a biologist/microbiologist and an internationally renowned drug design chemist) and they made the comment that the entire concept has been horrendously explained to the public, and that the federal system of politics invites too much attention to winning public favor over doing the job properly.

The Victorian health minister has no science credentials and neither does the premier. More arts degrees cronyism!!!!

I don't think science credentials are mandatory for people in those roles as long as they have the requisite leadership and management skills as well as the humility and communication skills to work effectively with the scientific and medical experts who advise them on these matters.

You wouldn't really call this a failure due to a lack of science. The policies they had were broadly right and consistent with the scientific advice but were woefully implemented.

I don't think science credentials are mandatory for people in those roles as long as they have the requisite leadership and management skills as well as the humility and communication skills to work effectively with the scientific and medical experts who advise them on these matters.

You wouldn't really call this a failure due to a lack of science. The policies they had were broadly right and consistent with the scientific advice but were woefully implemented.

I would, you might not.

Isn't it odd that people are going bananas, and rightly so, over the hotel breaches where returned travellers, many of whom never had the virus, were supposed to be in supervised lockdown, when we're now basically allowing people who actually have the virus to come and go as they please. Makes no sense to me. How about the Government sequest City Hotels - frogmarch the ones who leave home down there and have around the clock soldiers on each floor. That'd fix it.
I have actually advocated that in a separate post. If I was premier every single covid positive person in the state would be in a quarantine hotel being looked after well and separated from the uninfected population.

I have actually advocated that in a separate post. If I was premier every single covid positive person in the state would be in a quarantine hotel being looked after well and separated from the uninfected population.
Sincerely didn't see your post. On my version, unless there is some compelling reason why they had to leave home and I'm struggling to think of one, rather than fining them, I'd make them pay for the rooms and also for the sanitising that goes on when they leave.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm still finding it hard to fathom that 20% (or whatever the number was) of people that were confirmed to have covid were not at home when door knocked? It makes absolutely no sense at all to get tested if you don't intend on staying home. I was forced to self isolate a few weeks ago after a confirmed case and the police came to my home twice. Out of interest I asked them when they visited what they would have done if I didn't answer the door. The weren't able to give me an answer

Mate, how can you read that article and use that to imply that the man doesn't know what he's doing?

He wrote a piece about using a philosophical framework to help enhance compassion to understand the suffering in a profession (designed to ease suffering) which has become numb to it. He turned up to his patient's funeral.

If anything, I read that and think well, he's not some inhuman technocrat who doesn't care about people - he understands suffering as part of the human condition. Some of his writings there may not gel with what I believe but all that piece does is show the man cares. I don't think that necessarily means that he can't be good at the scientific aspects of his job.

He has dealt with a number of communicable disease outbreaks in the past and seen first hand in many parts of the developing world how these things progress.

I reckon all the head honcho’s will end up ‘resigning’ one way or another. Andrews and his crew of clowns positions are simply untenable now. They are ultimately responsible for this preventable, horrible mess. Will be carefully stage managed and involve the standard ‘family reasons’ excuse. Then whoever takes over can hold their hands up and say it wasn’t my fault, I inherited this mess etc. Everything about the situation here is just so strange. How was it allowed to get so out of control.

Why doesn’t trump only allow ‘trump positive interviews’ ? As in why would he put himself in a position where he is going to get grilled by a journalist? And why wouldn’t his media adviser review the interview before allowing its release? He would be much better getting interviewed by a pro trump media outlet that would pamper to his carry on

Why doesn’t trump only allow ‘trump positive interviews’ ? As in why would he put himself in a position where he is going to get grilled by a journalist? And why wouldn’t his media adviser review the interview before allowing its release? He would be much better getting interviewed by a pro trump media outlet that would pamper to his carry on
Because it doesn't matter.

So childcare is a clusterf***.

No one has any certainty of anything.
After 11.59 tonight, if you're a permitted worker and want to keep your kids in childcare, you need a permit that requires sign off by your employer. Problem is, that permit didn't go online until after COB today.

Well played, d*ckheads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back