News Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion Thread II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you have evidence of that? Nothing on The Age website to indicate it happened. The hotel quarantine enquiry was on today.
I read it here first:

Then I checked the Vic Parliament website from today and the minutes have been published from today and yesterday.

I think your last sentence is valid but that doesn't mean that you can't look at those genius and fool moments and form a reasonable judgement on them well before the pandemic reaches some form of an endpoint. In fact, if we aren't doing that and learning and adjusting from them we run the risk of this thing going on far longer than it should.

Totally agree with you there. However, I don’t believe that was the tack he was taking with his article. Also, the way he compared the total death toll from the Spanish Flu with the first six months death toll of Covid-19 - without even flagging the possibility that the measures taken might have helped deliver the low death toll - renders the whole thing superfluous, in my view. However, he’s entitled to go for his life, so good luck to him.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Excellent piece by Chris Uhlman, a moderate and well credentialed journalist. So the Age ran it on line but not in the print edition. Meanwhile they publish all the nonsense 'We stand by Dan' crap
Not really moderate and also not excellent. Hadn’t really seen a lot of Dan stan crap, but they did publish that Stephen Downes stupidity so the bar on quality generally is pretty low.

Must admit; its grating when im running in my mask past people in groups with no masks or having it below their chin.
I used to have that problem when I robbed banks. It's easier to use computers these days, especially if you manage super.

My guess is X amount of penalty units. They are indexed to inflation, so weird numbers.

That was my suspicion. I also considered the possibility that they had deliberately picked a non-round number because round numbers look like you have just pulled them out of your arse. 4,957 is a number that looks like there is a methodology and calculation involved. It was a trick I used a lot back in the day preparing presentations for senior management. Round numbers they ask about how you got to it, non-round numbers they didn't.
The other trick was always try to use a source on a slide. Once you have a source people assume it to be more authoritative than your opinion and don't challenge it. One source we used a lot was PROOMA, which stands for pulled right out of my arse, and it was never questioned. McKinsey consultant taught me that one.

My guess is X amount of penalty units. They are indexed to inflation, so weird numbers.
There is an annual update each year through legislation.
I think one penalty unit at the moment is around $336
If you google Victorian penalty units there is a whole site dedicated to all to do with Fines

Truth. You’ve never been fined for a traffic infringement and gone woah what is this all about.
It’s the numbers Numbers

I have probably been fined often enough that I have intuitively worked out the scales and CPI indexation over time without having to look it up. No shortage of data points.

That was my suspicion. I also considered the possibility that they had deliberately picked a non-round number because round numbers look like you have just pulled them out of your arse. 4,957 is a number that looks like there is a methodology and calculation involved. It was a trick I used a lot back in the day preparing presentations for senior management. Round numbers they ask about how you got to it, non-round numbers they didn't.
The other trick was always try to use a source on a slide. Once you have a source people assume it to be more authoritative than your opinion and don't challenge it. One source we used a lot was PROOMA, which stands for pulled right out of my arse, and it was never questioned. McKinsey consultant taught me that one.
The subtle art of persuasion

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

oppos
So the opposition will try and boot Dan?

Do they have the numbers?

The opposition is irrelevant. They don't even come close to having the numbers.

Dan's challenges are internal to the ALP. Apparently two parties were counting heads on the weekend but Dan still has a slim majority in caucus. Polls in freefall tend to sharpen leadership ambitions.

Dan's challenges are internal to the ALP. Apparently two parties were counting heads on the weekend but Dan still has a slim majority in caucus. Polls in freefall tend to sharpen leadership ambitions.

All good, heard something on the radio about it and might have misinterpreted what was said 👍 Thankyou

I’d be very surprised if Dan even wants to go on after this is over. He’ll be more worried about whether he’s going to physically keel over. The only instance in which I reckon he’d stay on is if the ALP beg him. Having said that, what the hell would I know?

I’d be very surprised if Dan even wants to go on after this is over. He’ll be more worried about whether he’s going to physically keel over. The only instance in which I reckon he’d stay on is if the ALP beg him. Having said that, what the hell would I know?

He’s already prepping people for ‘Family reasons’.

Did you see Dan complain about someone put boots out the front of a farm?

stood there in a presser and said leave my family out of it.

Now if I were a suspicious man, for something so small and stupid I’d ask who put it there?
Why it got so much traction?
Why Andrews acknowledge it..
All it did was garner sympathy for Andrews during a useless protest.

Nixon, always hired protestors and hecklers at his own events. That way he always had sympathy from his own supporters... politics is a dirty business.

Last edited:

I have learnt never to underestimate the ego and narcissism of a politician and their propensity to develop a God complex. Especially when surrounded by a few loyal sycophants.

Whatever happened to the hydroxychloroquine nuffies?

People were posting tweets and stats about it being the saviour of humanity all the way up until like 2 weeks ago now it's radio silence.

Whatever happened to the hydroxychloroquine nuffies?

People were posting tweets and stats about it being the saviour of humanity all the way up until like 2 weeks ago now it's radio silence.

Well they jumped up and down for a while and instantly became experts in drug efficacy and accused every single trial that found zero benefits as being politically motivated. Then they moved on to convalescent plasma, which Trump in his usual style overhyped and politicised thus damaging what should have been a cautious path towards understanding its real potential as a treatment. They are now busy accusing the drug companies of deliberately withholding a vaccine to damage Trump's chances in the election at the same time as implying that Trump has single-handedly developed a vaccine himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back