News Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion Thread II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He’s already prepping people for ‘Family reasons’.

Did you see Dan complain about someone put boots out the front of a farm?

stood there in a presser and said leave my family out of it.

Now if I were a suspicious man, for something so small and stupid I’d ask who put it there?
Why it got so much traction?
Why Andrews acknowledge it..
All it did was garner sympathy for Andrews during a useless protest.

Nixon, always hired protestors and hecklers at his own events. That way he always had sympathy from his own supporters... politics is a dirty business.
The boots were placed in front of a location which also happened to be where he’s father’s funeral took place.

It’s a cowardly, insensitive thing to do.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Well they jumped up and down for a while and instantly became experts in drug efficacy and accused every single trial that found zero benefits as being politically motivated. Then they moved on to convalescent plasma, which Trump in his usual style overhyped and politicised thus damaging what should have been a cautious path towards understanding its real potential as a treatment. They are now busy accusing the drug companies of deliberately withholding a vaccine to damage Trump's chances in the election at the same time as implying that Trump has single-handedly developed a vaccine himself.
Sounds like they've been keeping busy, hope they had time to protest against masks somewhere in there

Feb 11, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The boots were placed in front of a location in which happened to be also where he’s father’s funeral took place.

It’s a cowardly, insensitive thing to do.
Who did it?
How many people would know that’s where his fathers funeral took place?
And why did a random photo get so much attention?
So much so that Andrews raised it in a press conference.

there’s so much worse that gets thrown about, so why acknowledge it, unless it political benefits.
Now go back to step 1, who did it?

Dec 7, 2011
Wentz Wagon
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Who did it?

there’s so much worse that gets thrown about, so why acknowledge it, unless it political benefits.

Not sure I buy the "Dan set it up" angle, but I absolutely buy that the only reason he brought it up was to squeeze some sympathy out during what has been a terrible few weeks for his political aspirations.

Feb 11, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Not sure I buy the "Dan set it up" angle, but I absolutely buy that the only reason he brought it up was to squeeze some sympathy out during what has been a terrible few weeks for his political aspirations.
I don’t think Dan, himself did it..
But I wouldn’t put it past a PR agency, who highlighted it though, create the problem and the solution, to that stupid boots out protest.

no more boots out momentum, that’s why those places are on retainer.

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
But I wouldn’t put it past a PR agency, who highlighted it though, create the problem and the solution, to that stupid boots out protest.

It's Wag the Dog

“- Conrad Brean: You watched the Gulf War, what do you see day after day? The one smart bomb falling down the chimney. The truth? I was in the building when we shot that shot - we shot in a studio, Falls Church, Virginia. One-tenth scale model of a building.
- Stanley Motss: Is that true?
- Conrad Brean: How the f#ck do we know? You take my point?”

Andrews doesn't want to address anything of substance, he just wants a participation award for turning up every day so he drowns the press conferences in inconsequential detail and distractions. You have to give him credit for his political skills.

Did his PR flack plant the boots? How the f#ck do we know?

Feb 11, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
It's Wag the Dog

“- Conrad Brean: You watched the Gulf War, what do you see day after day? The one smart bomb falling down the chimney. The truth? I was in the building when we shot that shot - we shot in a studio, Falls Church, Virginia. One-tenth scale model of a building.
- Stanley Motss: Is that true?
- Conrad Brean: How the f#ck do we know? You take my point?”

Andrews doesn't want to address anything of substance, he just wants a participation award for turning up every day so he drowns the press conferences in inconsequential detail and distractions. You have to give him credit for his political skills.

Did his PR flack plant the boots? How the f#ck do we know?
All we know is a random inconsequential photo was highlighted, by the premier, during a daily press briefing for corona virus.

Remember the same premier said he hadn’t had a chance to see the police arresting a pregnant mother from Ballarat. Considering, it was first drop on the nightly news and trending on social media.. The former photo certainly was not.

Makes you wonder if ones manufactured.

Last edited:
Who did it?

I don’t know. I know that’s not a fashionable thing to say... but I truly don’t.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
All we know is a random inconsequential photo was highlighted, by the premier, during a daily press briefing for corona virus.

Remember the same premier said he hadn’t had a chance to see the police arresting a pregnant mother from Ballarat. Considering, it was first drop on the nightly news and trending on social media.. The former photo certainly was not.

Makes you wonder if ones manufactured.
If you were trying to manufacture controversy it is exactly the type of scenario you would plant. Probably impossible to trace back to a source, a catalyst to demonise "opponents" and defend the voiceless, designed to engender sympathy, and a level of detail that needs a lot of exposition in the presser thus taking up time and redirecting the narrative for a day.

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
"Premier Daniel Andrews proclaimed last week that a contingent from Victoria including DHHS and Australian Defence Force personnel and the nation’s Chief Scientist Alan Finkel was only travelling to Sydney to “double and triple check” whether the southern state’s contact tracing protocol was up to scratch."

Either delusional or a blatant liar!

Coronavirus: How Victoria’s contact tracers struggled while NSW’s triumphed

Every morning at 11 sharp, NSW Health sends out its daily coronavirus press release, detailing each new case, including the cluster to which it’s been linked, and any locations associated with it.
South of the Murray, Victoria’s Department of Health and Human Services is still doing things differently, more than a month after the peak of a second wave of infections which has killed 718 people, compared with three deaths in NSW over the same period.

Premier Daniel Andrews proclaimed last week that a contingent from Victoria including DHHS and Australian Defence Force personnel and the nation’s Chief Scientist Alan Finkel was only travelling to Sydney to “double and triple check” whether the southern state’s contact tracing protocol was up to scratch.

But any close examination of each state’s case data in the early days of their second waves of coronavirus cases indicates the stark difference in their cumulative case numbers (4185 compared with 19,943) is no accident.

This is despite NSW’s second wave comprising six separate “index” cases of community transmission — all genomically linked to Victoria — compared with at least 99 per cent of Victoria’s second wave being genomically linked to breaches at two quarantine hotels.

As independent data analyst and covidlive.com.au founder Anthony Macali has demonstrated clearly with two simple graphs showing the first fortnights in which Victoria and NSW recorded more than 10 locally acquired cases per day, after previously having days of zero, Victoria’s days of 700+ new cases followed weeks of contact tracers failing to rapidly investigate cases. Its testing rate in the early days was also less than half that of NSW at the same point in the cycle.

Crucially, a comparison between Victoria’s current practices and those in NSW indicates that while the numbers have fallen dramatically from 7880 active cases on August 11 to 991 on Wednesday, DHHS still lags behind in rapidly establishing and communicating case data — a practice which becomes ever more important amid the Victorian roadmap, which leaves Melburnians under stay-at-home and curfew restrictions until there have been no unknown source cases for a fortnight.

The Victorian department’s daily press release can arrive at any point between 1.30pm and almost 5pm, and contains no breakdown of the clusters to which the day’s cases have been linked, with more than a dozen of each day’s cases still “under investigation”.

A few weeks ago this number was in the hundreds. On Wednesday, 13 of 42 new cases were “under investigation” almost 24 hours after the department had been notified of their existence.

Asked why Victoria could not follow the example of its interstate counterpart and offer more detail regarding each day’s cases, Health Minister Jenny Mikakos said: “I’m absolutely committed to making sure we provide as much information as possible to the community. We have been putting more and more data, including details of localised outbreaks, on the DHHS website and if there’s more information we can put in the Chief Health Officer’s media release.’’

The Australian also asked why there was a handful of previously reported cases each day that got reclassified due to duplication. On Wednesday this was 10, meaning almost a quarter of Tuesday’s 42 new cases had in fact been duplicates.

The minister said lab results coming through overnight and a process of “sifting through the data” may explain duplication.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

bengrina

Club Legend
Aug 29, 2012
West Baltimore
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I can see an all out riot should these numbers track down and become negligible by the first week of October but the restrictions aren’t repealed.

No different to what we are dealing with now TPA. We've reached the agreed target of average under 50 cases per day over a 14 day period yet the same restrictions will be in place for another week and a half. Its going to interesting to see peoples reaction on the 28th of September when they realise there is actually very little change from step 1 to 2. Take grand final weekend for example, its 5 and a half weeks away yet you still wont be able to join friends/family for the occasion

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I can see an all out riot should these numbers track down and become negligible by the first week of October but the restrictions aren’t repealed.

I'm not sure about an all-out riot but there will certainly be increasing angst in the community. Numbers are close to the level that they should be able to manage without locking down the whole population. If you look at the table in the article I posted above you will see that NSW had 8 infections from unknown sources in that 14 day period, so would not be released from stage 4 restrictions under Andrews' roadmap, but were able to effectively suppress those infections and prevent a surge without locking down their population. Pubs, cafes, restaurants all remained open.

Whoever did it - it is disgusting. Obviously clearly targeted or, unlikely, the greatest coincidence of all time. Dirty pool this one.

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Whoever did it - it is disgusting. Obviously clearly targeted or, unlikely, the greatest coincidence of all time. Dirty pool this one.

I am in no way a conspiracy theorist but there are some things about this that have me second-guessing it:
It was too perfect for Andrews. At the time where he was facing day after day of crap because of his road map, it allowed him to break it up with a story that deflected the media cycle for 24 hours. The story had all the elements working in Andrews favour:
A defenseless victim who can't speak for themselves but is still connected to Andrews.
An unknown but symbolic enemy who can't/won't fight back - the usual suspects (the opposition & Murdoch media) can and do fight back and you run the risk of losing the narrative.
A humanising element for Andrews
A perception that he is rising above politics

You could say it was almost too perfect as a media distraction and platform for Andrews to change the narrative. It is also based on very intimate and specific information that is not widely known.

Definitely dirty pool. I just don't know which side is playing it.

Nov 27, 2012
AFL Club
North Melbourne

That’s why they went with an average of 5. It’s very likely weekly numbers in October will look something like 10,8,11,14,6,9,13 etc.

Very low numbers but not reaching the unrealistic 5 over 14 days. Then when we get to the end of October Dan will move us to the next step despite not meeting that threshold, makes himself look flexible in the process.

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
That’s why they went with an average of 5. It’s very likely weekly numbers in October will look something like 10,8,11,14,6,9,13 etc.

Very low numbers but not reaching the unrealistic 5 over 14 days. Then when we get to the end of October Dan will move us to the next step despite not meeting that threshold, makes himself look flexible in the process.

Or he paints himself into a corner because he doesn't want to answer the following question:

"Mr Premier is the numbers aren't hitting the targets you set and have been much the same for the last 6 weeks, why couldn't we have eased restrictions a month ago? And what do you say to those that have lost their job or seen their business collapse over the last four weeks when an earlier easing of lockdown might have saved them?"

Nov 27, 2012
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Or he paints himself into a corner because he doesn't want to answer the following question:

"Mr Premier is the numbers aren't hitting the targets you set and have been much the same for the last 6 weeks, why couldn't we have eased restrictions a month ago? And what do you say to those that have lost their job or seen their business collapse over the last four weeks when an earlier easing of lockdown might have saved them?"

He answered that question today, said if it reached a point where it looked like we couldn’t go lower they would review it. Then the deputy chief said they would be flexible around the 5 number.

Nov 27, 2012
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I'd imagine that is because the targets were so ill-considered in the first place.

I think the targets were purposely put out of reach to ensure almost all of October is in the equivalent of stage 4. So when the numbers drop Dan can come out and say the strategy is working but we cant ease restrictions because we aren’t averaging 5 cases over a fortnight, then once we reach the cut off date he will say close enough and move us ahead, it’s basically all be done to ensure we move through the steps at the timeline they have set out.

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I think the targets were purposely put out of reach to ensure almost all of October is in the equivalent of stage 4. So when the numbers drop Dan can come out and say the strategy is working but we cant ease restrictions because we aren’t averaging 5 cases over a fortnight, then once we reach the cut off date he will say close enough and move us ahead, it’s basically all be done to ensure we move through the steps at the timeline they have set out.

That would seem a very obtuse way to run things. As a principle we should be moving out of stage 4 as soon as possible due to the damage it causes and that should be as soon as cases have dropped to the point where our testing, contact tracing etc teams can manage them. If they are saying that figure is 5 then they are effectively admitting incompetence.

Themanbun

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Christmas would be the aim, IMO. Trying to get case numbers as low as possible before then. If we're sitting at 50-100 per day and everyone catches up with 20 family members on Christmas day it will be disastrous.

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Christmas would be the aim, IMO. Trying to get case numbers as low as possible before then. If we're sitting at 50-100 per day and everyone catches up with 20 family members on Christmas day it will be disastrous.
If we are sitting at 50-100 per day in December catching up with family members for Christma is likely to incur a $4,957 fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back