Screenshot_20210721-112943.png

B4Bear

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 6, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
13m ago11:17

There are now 106 people in NSW hospitalised for Covid-19.
McAnulty:
In terms of hospitalisations, there are currently 106 people with Covid admitted to hospital in New South Wales.
23 are in intensive care, and 11 require ventilation. This shows how serious this disease can be for some people.
(1) Australia Covid live news: NSW to provide daily update on cases and lockdown; Victoria records 22 new cases | Australia news | The Guardian

Damn that is a high percentage in ICU

bengrina

Club Legend
Aug 29, 2012
West Baltimore
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The whole reason people get vaccinated is to protect the community - particularly the young, elderly, and those unable to get the shot. It's not just a self defense.

As far as 'genuine health concerns'
Hard to take it seriously when as a nation we have a very high alcohol consumption rate, and high obesity. People all of a sudden start to take an interest in what goes in their body now? Not saying you specifically but there's a large Venn diagram intersection of "ppl who don't want the jab for personal health reasons" and "ppl who have never considered personal health at other times" and it really s**ts me that these are the people holding us back

Why isn't more been done by our government to promote a healthier lifestyle? Completely agree re excess alcohol and obesity. You can also add smoking to that list

Swallow_Wood

Premiership Player
Jun 11, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
New South Wales

110 cases overnight
60 in community while infectious
54 cases not yet linked to existing cases

1281 active cases
106 in hospital
23 in intensive care
11 on ventilators

1 in 12 active cases in hospital
1 in 55 active cases in intensive care
1 in 116 active cases on ventilators

Last edited:
Ireland is now on over 1000 cases/day with 22 in ICU. Australia has 18 in ICU even though we’re running at just over 100 new cases/day. Only obvious difference is that Ireland has about 50% fully vaccinated, I think.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Everyone wants to talk mental health during lockdowns. You know what has been pretty ordinary on the old mental health? Hearing friends and family say each day how they're cool with people like me dying because they need to go to the pub before we get vaccinated. Real cool.
You can never change selfish and arrogant people.

just know natural selection will do its job to them😉

Anyone see this little clip in context? Seems a bit excessive, and the comments underneath from those abroad are interesting to me.
These 2021 lockdowns shouldn't be happening after last year's hard work. The federal government dropped the ball hard on vaccine messaging and delivery, on hotel quarantine and not providing for a different solution. It's really stupid in a global context that we have so many people with reservations over vaccination. Especially from the vulnerable.

F***ing LOL

And Gladys was at pains of the Vile and Jackie O show to explain how the difference between Victoria and NSW was that in NSW they could trust people to do the right thing.

Now they cannot talk to their neighbours.

They've come a long way in a short time on the trust front.

AnEmptyChair

Premiership Player
Nov 12, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Everyone wants to talk mental health during lockdowns. You know what has been pretty ordinary on the old mental health? Hearing friends and family say each day how they're cool with people like me dying because they need to go to the pub before we get vaccinated. Real cool.
I remember watching Q&A a while back when it had Creighton and the female economist who's been big on the lockdowns are bullshit and we need to open up for the economy stuff (I can't remember her name).

Anway, they were regularly talking disingenuous nonsense about mental health without, of course, mentioning that suicide rates actually dropped last year compared to previous years. The whole time I'm thinking, yeah, you say you want to open up for mental health, but if we did open up, what about the mental health of frontline healthcare workers who have to work in full PPE and watch people slowly die every day? What about the mental health of healthcare workers who are working 12 hour shifts while being absolutely inundated by new cases, having to turn people away from being treated because there's not enough room or resources? What about the mental health of the healthcare workers who have to organise a Skype session to let a family know their loved one is dying because they're not allowed in to see them? What about the mental health of those families who have to say goodbye to a loved one via Skype while said loved one is in the clutches of a tangle of tubes and struggling to breathe? What about the mental health of people who lose loved ones in a situation that would have been entirely preventable with lockdowns?

Anyone that talks about mental health in lockdowns is being a disingenuous campaigner if they don't consider the mental health aspects of the alternative

New South Wales

110 cases overnight
60 in community while infectious
54 cases not yet linked to existing cases

1281 active cases
106 in hospital
23 in intensive care
11 on ventilators

1 in 12 active cases in hospital
1 in 55 active cases in intensive care
1 in 116 active cases on ventilators
I wonder how many health workers are in isolation by now too, increasing the negative impact on all health outcomes across the state.

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Got my second Pfizer shot at Jeff's Shed this morning. Jumped on the booking system at about 7.00 am this morning and saw there were multiple slots available from 9.00 am. Took a 9.18 slot turned up on time and there were zero people in front of me in the queue. Just waltzed straight through and the whole thing was done by 9.36 including the 15-minute wait. Free parking there too!
If you are eligible and haven't had your vaccine yet then jump on the booking site and get it done. Lockdown is the perfect time to do it!

Themanbun

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I remember watching Q&A a while back when it had Creighton and the female economist who's been big on the lockdowns are bullshit and we need to open up for the economy stuff (I can't remember her name).

Anway, they were regularly talking disingenuous nonsense about mental health without, of course, mentioning that suicide rates actually dropped last year compared to previous years. The whole time I'm thinking, yeah, you say you want to open up for mental health, but if we did open up, what about the mental health of frontline healthcare workers who have to work in full PPE and watch people slowly die every day? What about the mental health of healthcare workers who are working 12 hour shifts while being absolutely inundated by new cases, having to turn people away from being treated because there's not enough room or resources? What about the mental health of the healthcare workers who have to organise a Skype session to let a family know their loved one is dying because they're not allowed in to see them? What about the mental health of those families who have to say goodbye to a loved one via Skype while said loved one is in the clutches of a tangle of tubes and struggling to breathe? What about the mental health of people who lose loved ones in a situation that would have been entirely preventable with lockdowns?

Anyone that talks about mental health in lockdowns is being a disingenuous campaigner if they don't consider the mental health aspects of the alternative

Absolutely agreed. I remember pulling some stats early doors and found that Sweden had as much or bigger deterioration in the mental health metrics that the anti lockdowners were quoting. Almost as if having to pile bodies into ice skating rinks due to overflowed morgues affects people's outlooks on life pretty negatively.

Themanbun

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Why isn't more been done by our government to promote a healthier lifestyle? Completely agree re excess alcohol and obesity. You can also add smoking to that list

Because they would have to confront that both parents needing to work 9-5 plus 3 hours of commute per day to keep a roof over their head isn't conducive to being able to cook nutritious meals for yourself and exercise. Most sports training is over by the time the majority of workers get home.

Of course a lot of people are able to overcome this and train anyway, but if you load the dice in the devil's favour, don't be surprised when his numbers come up.

Swallow_Wood

Premiership Player
Jun 11, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Got my second Pfizer shot at Jeff's Shed this morning. Jumped on the booking system at about 7.00 am this morning and saw there were multiple slots available from 9.00 am. Took a 9.18 slot turned up on time and there were zero people in front of me in the queue. Just waltzed straight through and the whole thing was done by 9.36 including the 15-minute wait. Free parking there too!
If you are eligible and haven't had your vaccine yet then jump on the booking site and get it done. Lockdown is the perfect time to do it!
Got my 2nd dose done on Monday at the same venue. Was busy but got done in an hour.

Take it easy over the next day or so, I felt like s**t for a fair chunk of yesterday.

Jul 11, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Because they would have to confront that both parents needing to work 9-5 plus 3 hours of commute per day to keep a roof over their head isn't conducive to being able to cook nutritious meals for yourself and exercise. Most sports training is over by the time the majority of workers get home.

Of course a lot of people are able to overcome this and train anyway, but if you load the dice in the devil's favour, don't be surprised when his numbers come up.
Also, the taxman benefits from all this, as does employment when you consider the fast food industry and servos/smoke shops/bottle shops and supply chains associated

grimface_87

Premiership Player
May 27, 2008
Melbourne territory
AFL Club
North Melbourne
This article sums up my views exactly. I'm not a fan of Kennett's by any means but he is bang on in this piece.

Although:

1626836972851.png

Car accidents are isolated. A car accident in Geelong won't potentially cause deaths for people driving in Bentleigh. Similarly:

1626837037736.png

Also he argues against his point:

1626837079429.png

We have vaccinations for flu, we don't currently for COVID (for a large number of the population) hence the need to control the spread by lockdowns until there are vaccines widely available

I completely agree with this:

1626837187569.png

The Vic Government is cautious after what happened last year, but the alternative is overconfidence leading to what we are seeing in NSW now.

No-one likes lockdowns, they are terrible but surely for a largely unvaccinated population Delta running rampant is much worse.

B4Bear

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 6, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Although:

View attachment 1182900

Car accidents are isolated. A car accident in Geelong won't potentially cause deaths for people driving in Bentleigh. Similarly:

View attachment 1182901

Also he argues against his point:

View attachment 1182903

We have vaccinations for flu, we don't currently for COVID (for a large number of the population) hence the need to control the spread by lockdowns until there are vaccines widely available

I completely agree with this:

View attachment 1182904

The Vic Government is cautious after what happened last year, but the alternative is overconfidence leading to what we are seeing in NSW now.

No-one likes lockdowns, they are terrible but surely for a largely unvaccinated population Delta running rampant is much worse.
Geoff Kennett is an unmitigated fool.

Until there is a vaccinated population the lockdowns will rightly continue.

Have a look at India for what happens to an unvaccinated population and Delta.

I bet that campaigner and his family have all been vaccinated.

It is like that campaigner Andrew Bolt, who fled to Mornington to live, all the while attacking the state government for locking down Melbourne; even going so far as to have a small studio he can broadcast from built in his new residence. Thus bearing none of the risk he demands the rest of Melbourne does.

Alan Jones in Sydney is almost exactly the same, fled to the Southern Highlands and demanded that the NSW does what he said, which they have been doing for years. But once again, zero risk to his pedo self.

Yet none of them actually attack the federal government for its unmitigated disastrously inept handling of either the border, quarantine or vaccinations. All of which if they had been done properly would mean we wouldn't have 13 million people currently under lockdown.

Like I said, opinionated flog.

travelli

Club Legend
Mar 4, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Make that 60 out and about...

60 infectious cases spent some time in NSW community
It’s worth noting it isn’t just 43 cases that were infectious in the community. Berejiklian doesn’t read out the number that were in the community for part of their infectious period, which today is 17.
That means a total of 60 cases spent some time in the community while infectious, and 13 cases are still under investigation.
They'll be shut down till October. I doubt Sydney people have the patience for it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back