News Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion Thread III - L6ckdown

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a fair effort being the state opposition and becoming even less popular over the last six months.

Do Victorian Liberals have anything other than tweeting from the cheap seats and cringeworthy photo opportunities?
Tim Smith is worth -5% in the polls straight up.

A more self entitled flog would be hard to find.

For all the mistakes l think we will be looked at as an example of how to control this.

Decent and fair article. The BBC is the main go to news organisation for me during disasters, catastrophic events, political turmoil etc. It hasn’t lost its credibility yet. CCN, Fox, Al Jazeerha and others have become overly agenda driven.
The world will probably now think Andrews is some kind of pandemic guru rather than the incompetent, lying, political sewer rat he is.
Our isolation is our major strength, we need to keep it that way until the mess is sorted around the world. Australia is very well placed to come out of the economic disaster better than most also I reckon.

It's a fair effort being the state opposition and becoming even less popular over the last six months.

Do Victorian Liberals have anything other than tweeting from the cheap seats and cringeworthy photo opportunities?
They weren't constructive at all.
Rather than work towards a covid safe reopening they stood back, yelled and screamed and showed they would be just as bad a run government as the current mob.
All they had to do was show maturity, some bipartisanship, whilst also holding the government to account, and then gone in for the kill once restrictions were lifted.
Hopeless.

Tim Smith is worth -5% in the polls straight up.

A more self entitled flog would be hard to find.
O'Brien busy seeing off the supposed leadership challenge by outdoing Tim Smith. Genius.

All they had to do was be constructive, seem trustworthy, and keep giving the people of Victoria credit, and they could have skimmed a lot of the support Labour will have lost through the quarantine debacle. Instead they chose to be mean-spirited and antagonistic and this is not a state where that has ever played well.

So a lockdown of roughly three months gets this thing under control.
Pretty sure it was closer to 4 months. 111 days in total. Based on Treasury analysis that's 22 billion of lost economic output, 155k lost jobs, and who knows how many lost businesses, on top of 800 plus lost lives, thousands of illness, and a huge mental health toll. It is fantastic we have got to where we are now but let's not forget the toll of what we have endured.

O'Brien busy seeing off the supposed leadership challenge by outdoing Tim Smith. Genius.

All they had to do was be constructive, seem trustworthy, and keep giving the people of Victoria credit, and they could have skimmed a lot of the support Labour will have lost through the quarantine debacle. Instead they chose to be mean-spirited and antagonistic and this is not a state where that has ever played well.

I just don't think they can ever escape from their early strategy which was essentially 'piss on every restriction that anyone introduces'. They will get some protest votes for sure but their opposition to most public health responses even before the hotel bungle still rings in the memory for a lot of people.

Canine coronavirus has a vaccine doesn't it?

It does, but no one really vaccinates for it much these days. Canine corona virus mostly just causes diarrhea, and is self-limiting and easily treatable with supportive care.

Feline corona virus though (more commonly called FIP) is much deadlier, and there is still no effective or safe vaccine for it after many decades. This virus behaves more like Covid does, in that it hides, and some patients will be asymptomatic, while others deteriorate rapidly and die. Like Covid, it infiltrates multiple organ systems and overwhelms the body. It's also airborne like Covid, whereas canine corona isn't. I think I posted on here back at the beginning of this about how I wasn't surprised to see lions and tigers at the Bronx zoo test positive for Covid. The two behave very similarly.

I think there's a lot we don't know about all the interconnectedness of zoonotic viruses. For instance, canine parvovirus is closely related to feline panleukopenia (also called feline distemper) and mink also get feline panleukopenia. Interestingly, about 300 mink on a fur farm in Wisconsin (I think) died of Covid a while back. We vaccinate ferrets with cat vaccines, and raccoons with dog vaccines. Raccoons are susceptible to canine distemper, and every ten years or so here, it swoops through the raccoon population and kills a bunch. Guinea pigs are also susceptible to canine bordatella virus (kennel cough)

So it's kind of a kaleidoscope out there, with a myriad of viral stepping stones between species. It's why we're going to keep seeing new viruses too, as long as we keep warehousing animals, be it wet markets or industrialised farming.

I've been pretty skeptical myself about whether or not we'll develop a safe and effective vaccine, but as others have pointed out on here, so many billions of dollars and thousands of hands across many countries are working together like we've never seen before to find a solution. I have to feel hope about that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It does, but no one really vaccinates for it much these days. Canine corona virus mostly just causes diarrhea, and is self-limiting and easily treatable with supportive care.

Feline corona virus though (more commonly called FIP) is much deadlier, and there is still no effective or safe vaccine for it after many decades. This virus behaves more like Covid does, in that it hides, and some patients will be asymptomatic, while others deteriorate rapidly and die. Like Covid, it infiltrates multiple organ systems and overwhelms the body. It's also airborne like Covid, whereas canine corona isn't. I think I posted on here back at the beginning of this about how I wasn't surprised to see lions and tigers at the Bronx zoo test positive for Covid. The two behave very similarly.

I think there's a lot we don't know about all the interconnectedness of zoonotic viruses. For instance, canine parvovirus is closely related to feline panleukopenia (also called feline distemper) and mink also get feline panleukopenia. Interestingly, about 300 mink on a fur farm in Wisconsin (I think) died of Covid a while back. We vaccinate ferrets with cat vaccines, and raccoons with dog vaccines. Raccoons are susceptible to canine distemper, and every ten years or so here, it swoops through the raccoon population and kills a bunch. Guinea pigs are also susceptible to canine bordatella virus (kennel cough)

So it's kind of a kaleidoscope out there, with a myriad of viral stepping stones between species. It's why we're going to keep seeing new viruses too, as long as we keep warehousing animals, be it wet markets or industrialised farming.

I've been pretty skeptical myself about whether or not we'll develop a safe and effective vaccine, but as others have pointed out on here, so many billions of dollars and thousands of hands across many countries are working together like we've never seen before to find a solution. I have to feel hope about that.

Very informative, cheers. Is it correct that feline coronavirus has a tendency to dormancy and then rapid deterioration years after infection?

BBC news website 😢

" Meanwhile doctors in the Belgian city of Liège have been asked to keep working, even if they have coronavirus. The head of the Belgian Association of Medical Unions told the BBC they had no choice if they were to prevent the hospital system collapsing within days "

The herd immunity crowd not too vocal at the moment.

What’s a bet when we get outbreaks the Libs will change tactic and start calling for harsh restrictions again?

They’re useless, Andrews gave them every opportunity to make inroads and they’ve come out even less popular lol.
I thought they got rid of that Matt Guy (see what i did there :) )
to put someone in the improve their stature, this current bozo is obviously a place holder until someone else parachutes in closer to the election.

Andrews roared out to a 5 goal lead, setup some bad matchups that slipped things out to a 10 goal deficit but has turned it around in the final minutes. All hail Andrews.

You reckon Libs hit the lead? Seriously doubt that. They kicked 2 in a row and closed the gap but then Tim Smith gave away couple 50s and that's all she wrote.

A lot of hubris here and putting the boots into the Libs. Let's not forget that it was the government whose incompetence led to a second wave in Victoria that infected nearly 20,000 people, 800 of whom died, cost 22 billion of lost economic output, cost over 150,000 people their jobs, countless businesses lost, and a long term impact on the mental and physical health on many Victorians. That same government has then attempted to engineer a cover-up and lied on a regular basis to the Victorian people. Makes a dig at a low approval number seem shallow and petty in comparison.

A lot of hubris here and putting the boots into the Libs. Let's not forget that it was the government whose incompetence led to a second wave in Victoria that infected nearly 20,000 people, 800 of whom died, cost 22 billion of lost economic output, cost over 150,000 people their jobs, countless businesses lost, and a long term impact on the mental and physical health on many Victorians. That same government has then attempted to engineer a cover-up and lied on a regular basis to the Victorian people. Makes a dig at a low approval number seem shallow and petty in comparison.

Majority of the deaths was aged care homes. That's on Morrison.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back