News Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion Thread III - L6ckdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 11, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
How weak is the prick, he won't deal with the problem areas prefers to make us all suffer. I suppose these uneducated buffoons are his winning ticket at election time.

*As no sane campaigner would vote for him.

* That's a factual statement, so cannot be questioned. You can argue all you like, but I'll just draw your attention back to my statement.
post-incarceration syndrome?

Jan 23, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
1603586754191.png

Feb 11, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
yeah good point and possible that he'll walk out of this as a savior in some peoples eyes. Voting needs to be weighted , a fish is a fish, a carp though is no snapper.
Although Andrews is a snapper-head.
A rotten Snapper head that’s been sitting on the backseat of a datson 120y for a decade. That stench ain’t leaving.

Last edited:

Themanbun

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Where were hotspot shutdown tried and failed? I haven't heard of any localised shutdowns other than Dan locking in poor people into housing commission flats.

5km means nothing, i can go through about 3 post codes in 5km where I live. I could be within 5km and travel to an infected suburb, I could go 50km in a different direction and there haven't been any infections in these postcodes since April. At the end of the day, people are within a general area who are/had shed the virus in public places generally use the public resources within their area. Ie, I could go to the Coles north of me (within 5km) and I would at significantly greater risk of getting the virus there because in that post code there were infected people there. There are Coles and Woolworths east and west of me and there haven't been infected people there for a long time. It makes more sense to keep people who live in uninfected areas from going to places which have infections and vice versa.

You can use whatever system you like, but 5km doesn't mean anything. You can do it street by street but it will be much harder to organise resources for people that way.

It would be better to stop the spread of the virus to additional areas if you stopped people from going into/out of the suburbs that do have infections rather than pull a number out of your arse and hope you get lucky. There is public information as to where were infections but it is not something that the public is constantly informed of. We need a system that isn't going to fail is in the future if there is a far more lethal pandemic. What we have in place is totally inadequate.

It is why states like Tasmania and Western Australia didn't want to open the borders, the only real safeguard we have is not letting it in, we are poorly equipped to deal with it within our borders.

Not gonna respond to the whole wall of text but we tried localised postcode shutdowns mate. I distinctly remember it because mine was the first to shut. It was at the beginning of the blow out of cases.

Edit, here's an article from back then, I just missed out the first one, I misremembered that part:

Last edited:
And to think, one non-decision about who was guarding hotels is made correctly, and we aren't much more than that.
I think that decision is irrelevant frankly. I have a hunch that whatever happened with guarding hotels the DHHS would have stuffed up the infection control processes. It's one of those things we'l never know. And we can only go with what we do know about it.

Themanbun

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Ok. Certain members of the Islamic community, some that I know personally are “they”

To be fair virtually all of my anti-lockdown connections have been running around visiting whoever they want over the past few months, taking far more trips to the shop than necessary, not wearing masks etc. They're currently also complaining about the Islamic community not being compliant. I think there's a lot more people not respecting this than just any particular community.

We can put a "ring of steel" up around a whole city but now a few suburbs in the North? FFS! Just pick 4 main roads that enclose the hotspot and drop barriers at all entrances.
Once upon a time I could drive from one side of the city to the other using back roads, well small local ones etc and not cross more than one or two main roads. It's harder since the toll roads but still doable apparently.

What you are suggesting is a lot harder than it seems.

To be fair virtually all of my anti-lockdown connections have been running around visiting whoever they want over the past few months, taking far more trips to the shop than necessary, not wearing masks etc. They're currently also complaining about the Islamic community not being compliant. I think there's a lot more people not respecting this than just any particular community.
That is so typical of the last twenty years.

Sep 21, 2004
AFL Club
GWS

100% true.

“This is not a setback just a cautious pause”
You for real, does he actually believe this drivel that comes out of his arse?
PS big shout out to the Northern community
You won't appreciate this but what is happening now reminds me of trying to get a handle on a fire that keeps breaking out of control lines. It's seems very similar in some ways and despite obvious differences. I think what he is saying is actually reasonable, even if it's a PITA.

Dec 27, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne

That’s Hilarious

Not gonna respond to the whole wall of text but we tried localised postcode shutdowns mate. I distinctly remember it because mine was the first to shut. It was at the beginning of the blow out of cases.

Edit, here's an article from back then, I just missed out the first one, I misremembered that part:

Did you even read the article, people were allowed to move around for work and school, you might as well not even bother and no s**t it did nothing.

Apr 24, 2011
Greek Islands
AFL Club
North Melbourne
It's obvious the DHHS is an absolute shambles of a department and that Andrews has no confidence in the systems and processes even after months of lockdowns and millions trying to fix the mess. My sister worked there for several years and had to leave as it was a sewer pit of incompetent, ladder climbing, PC obsessed feminazis. Her words not mine. 8 months of utter failure and bullshit lies.
Today was just another Andrews bitchslap to the Victorian public. Get set for nothing to change over the next few weeks, this 'pause' as he put it is basically the signal.
This government needs to go, it's ridiculously dangerous. It is crushing society's spirit. It's gone far too long. Are we going to be in and out of lockdowns over the next year? Is that Andrew's plan? Don't know how anyone can have any confidence in these muppets.

Themanbun

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Did you even read the article, people were allowed to move around for work and school, you might as well not even bother and no sh*t it did nothing.

Yeah, we had to get work permits mate. The same as stage 4 now. Most commentators I've seen are saying apply stage 4 to those areas. School holidays hit about a week after the postcode lockdowns if I recall correctly.

Edit: school holidays were actually 26 June - 13 July. Right during that postcode lockdown. So school wasn't a factor.

Last edited:
It's obvious the DHHS is an absolute shambles of a department and that Andrews has no confidence in the systems and processes even after months of lockdowns and millions trying to fix the mess. My sister worked there for several years and had to leave as it was a sewer pit of incompetent, ladder climbing, PC obsessed feminazis. Her words not mine. 8 months of utter failure and bullshit lies.
Today was just another Andrews bitchslap to the Victorian public. Get set for nothing to change over the next few weeks, this 'pause' as he put it is basically the signal.
This government needs to go, it's ridiculously dangerous. It is crushing society's spirit. It's gone far too long. Are we going to be in and out of lockdowns over the next year? Is that Andrew's plan? Don't know how anyone can have any confidence in these muppets.
If he has no confidence in the DHHS isn't that because the whole department has been ****ed for over 25 years? You can't fix that in months during the first pandemic like this in 100 years.

And if you were in charge tomorrow and have no confidence in the DHHS to control things properly if another outbreak occurs I'd hope you do the same thing.

Otherwise you're inviting a situation you know you don't have the resources to deal with. That would be even worse than what has happened so far.

Yeah, we had to get work permits mate. The same as stage 4 now. Most commentators I've seen are saying apply stage 4 to those areas. School holidays hit about a week after the postcode lockdowns if I recall correctly.

Edit: school holidays were actually 26 June - 13 July. Right during that postcode lockdown. So school wasn't a factor.

The equation is pretty simple, stop people who have been infected from moving to other places that aren't to reduce the spread, the total lockdown is just a crude tool that achieves the same thing but hits people who do not need to be prevented from moving at the same time.

If we can't do co-ordinated restrictions to where it is needed then we will never be able to manage the problem. Dan will get strung up if he attempts total lockdown again in a few months.

Dec 7, 2011
Wentz Wagon
AFL Club
North Melbourne
If he has no confidence in the DHHS isn't that because the whole department has been f’ed for over 25 years? You can't fix that in months during the first pandemic like this in 100 years.

And if you were in charge tomorrow and have no confidence in the DHHS to control things properly if another outbreak occurs I'd hope you do the same thing.

Otherwise you're inviting a situation you know you don't have the resources to deal with. That would be even worse than what has happened so far.

I agree, but in that case is the expectation you’d stay locked down forever? If an incompetent department can’t be fixed in 6 months (I agree it can’t) then we will have more outbreaks tomorrow, next week, next month or whenever we finally open up. If the DHHS can’t be trusted then by that logic we’d never open up.

Themanbun

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The equation is pretty simple, stop people who have been infected from moving to other places that aren't to reduce the spread, the total lockdown is just a crude tool that achieves the same thing but hits people who do not need to be prevented from moving at the same time.

If we can't do co-ordinated restrictions to where it is needed then we will never be able to manage the problem. Dan will get strung up if he attempts total lockdown again in a few months.

I get what you're saying but it's far from a simple equation. What happens to the workers having to reapply for Centrelink sporadically and periodically every time their postcode gets shut down? What happens when people in areas more frequently locked down than others start losing jobs or being denied employment in favour of those in (generally) favourable areas? The people who one street over are in lockdown versus their neighbours who aren't? Do you police every street that borders a non lockdown postcode?

It's not completely infeasible but we need a surrounding architecture to protect those in lockdown postcodes which just isn't there at this stage.

I'd feel far more comfortable with the idea if Centrelink was even remotely efficient in processing applications and if pressure was put on banks etc. to have pretty low standards for accepting loan repayment deferrals.

We have tried localised stage 4 and it didn't work so we'd have to do something radically different this time. I understand you're proposing something a lot stricter than stage 4, but most commentators I've seen (which is who I was addressing, so don't take this personally) seem to forget that we tried localised stage 4 and it was abysmally ineffective.

It's getting to ferbs' point about marshalling resources to do it properly. We need buy in from the federal government for that as well as the state government to perform more effectively. By the sounds of it they've basically given up playing nice with each other so fat chance of that happening.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back