News Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion Thread III - L6ckdown

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
But Xi Jinping is telling me only china can do this.

To be fair, I'm not sure many leaders in the democratic world would have been willing to cop the backlash and outright media assault our premier copped and not cave in. I've seen it all throughout Europe where many of my friends and family are. Lots of decisions get made at the local level for restrictions and within a week they're overturned because of the backlash.

One of my staunch LNP-voting friends, who was against most of the restrictions, made the point to me recently that he had to hand it to the premier for not basing most of his decisions on popularity, even if he disagrees with much of the approach.

None of my Kiwi mates are convinced at all by Foster as the coach.

I'll join that list..He was a failed provincial rugby coach, who got a gig as an assistant to the most successful AB coach ever. They decided to treat it like a succession. Now it looks like a team that needs a new voice and a new set of ideas.

Look at the coaches who missed out too.
Scott Robertson who's coached the Crusaders to 3 super rugby trophies in a row
Dave Rennie (now the Wallabies coach)
Jamie Joseph
Warren Gatland (wales and Lions coach)

guys with much much more runs on the board

I'll join that list..He was a failed provincial rugby coach, who got a gig as an assistant to the most successful AB coach ever. They decided to treat it like a succession. Now it looks like a team that needs a new voice and a new set of ideas.

Look at the coaches who missed out too.
Scott Robertson who's coached the Crusaders to 3 super rugby trophies in a row
Dave Rennie (now the Wallabies coach)
Jamie Joseph
Warren Gatland (wales and Lions coach)

guys with much much more runs on the board

I think the Wallabies have done well with Rennie.

Not sure Foster can survive until the next World Cup if the current trajectory is what he produces. It may not necessarily be fair on the coach but Kiwis have extremely high expectations of their team and coach. Two wins, two losses, and a draw against teams that aren't in the top 3 or 4 on the world just doesn't cut it.

This article came out yesterday re: covid and remote working:

I’ve been back in our CBD office for the past week and a half. The building’s carpark (usually full) has been close to empty. The floor our offices are on is also usually filled with other workers but I’ve only seen two.

I honestly thought we’d never leave the city but today had a meeting with the big cheese re options for us beyond our current re-worked discounted leasing deal where we are (and have been since the 90’s) and it looks like we’ll be shipping out early 2021. The previous pressure felt re. “what if we can’t find a suitable alternate office before this lease expires” is no more too as Covid has shown we can carry on remotely from home if necessary, allowing time to find the right property in the ‘burbs rather than the right now property.

We’ll save tens of thousands per month by moving out and I’m loving the thought.

Times are a changing mate!

NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian has admitted she should have self-isolated and cancelled meetings after having a coronavirus test last week.

After months of urging the people of NSW to "do the right thing" the Premier has conceded to breaking her own rules about isolating.

🤣

I think you are being a bit harsh. The only reference to the UK or California was to point out our new policy is more in line with their current mandates and thinking.

Seems a reasonable overview of the situation. I think the vast majority of the population knew the mandate that we had to wear masks everywhere, including outdoors when it was easy to distance, was a bit of overkill and not supported by the science. At the same time, I think the vast majority of the population was okay to comply. Even now I think that science that we need to continue to wear masks indoors would be along the lines of making a very, very small risk even smaller.

No it is not harsh. Le flog's article states in relation to the wearing of masks.

"In the UK, the Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies advises against the "excessive measure" of mandating their use outdoors. "It is critical that recommendations are seen to be based on the science and proportionate," the group notes."

Why would we take any note of what anyone in the UK says, given their simply "splendid" effort in dealing with the virus over there?

1.53 million cases. 55230 deaths. A record number of daily new cases of 33470 on the 12th of November.

There is implied albeit subtle criticism of the Victorian handling of the pandemic right throughout le flog's article. He is a moron of the highest order.

Back on the 30th of July when Dan Andrews announced the State of Disaster, we were actually in a far more dangerous place than either the UK or France, though the Gold Medal leaders in everything covid-19, the US were leading us comfortably. Have a look at what has transpired below on a per 100000 head of population basis. The figures below as at the 12th of November are a grim reflection of the shocking trajectories that the UK, France and the US have taken compared to Victoria.

To suggest that masks did not play a part, along with of course, the curfew, the 5 kilometre zone for an hours exercise a day, supermarket shopping restrictions, is in my opinion disingenuous. le flog is an idiot.

[TD valign="bottom"] Country/State [/TD]
[TD valign="bottom"]
Population
[/TD]
[TD valign="bottom"]
Population
[/TD]
[TD valign="bottom"]
New Cases
[/TD]
[TD valign="bottom"]
Cases/100k
[/TD]
[TD valign="bottom"]
New Cases
[/TD]
[TD valign="bottom"]
Cases/100k
[/TD]
[TD valign="bottom"]
Increase/
[/TD]
[TD valign="bottom"]
% Increase/
[/TD]

[TD valign="bottom"] [/TD]
[TD valign="bottom"]
[/TD]
[TD valign="bottom"]
per 100000
[/TD]
[TD valign="bottom"]
30th July
[/TD]
[TD valign="bottom"]
30th July
[/TD]
[TD valign="bottom"]
12th November
[/TD]
[TD valign="bottom"]
12th November
[/TD]
[TD valign="bottom"]
Decrease
[/TD]
[TD valign="bottom"]
Decrease
[/TD]

[TD valign="bottom"][/TD]

[TD valign="bottom"] France [/TD]
[TD valign="bottom"]
65,200,000​
[/TD]
[TD valign="bottom"]
652.0​
[/TD]
[TD valign="bottom"]
1377​
[/TD]
[TD valign="bottom"]
2.112​
[/TD]
[TD valign="bottom"]
33172​
[/TD]
[TD valign="bottom"]
50.877​
[/TD]
[TD valign="bottom"]
31795​
[/TD]
[TD valign="bottom"]
2309.01%
[/TD]

[TD valign="bottom"] UK [/TD]
[TD valign="bottom"]
67,800,000​
[/TD]
[TD valign="bottom"]
678.0​
[/TD]
[TD valign="bottom"]
846​
[/TD]
[TD valign="bottom"]
1.248​
[/TD]
[TD valign="bottom"]
33470​
[/TD]
[TD valign="bottom"]
49.366​
[/TD]
[TD valign="bottom"]
32624​
[/TD]
[TD valign="bottom"]
3856.26%
[/TD]

[TD valign="bottom"] USA [/TD]
[TD valign="bottom"]
331,000,000​
[/TD]
[TD valign="bottom"]
3310.0​
[/TD]
[TD valign="bottom"]
69114​
[/TD]
[TD valign="bottom"]
20.880​
[/TD]
[TD valign="bottom"]
144000​
[/TD]
[TD valign="bottom"]
43.505​
[/TD]
[TD valign="bottom"]
74886​
[/TD]
[TD valign="bottom"]
108.35%
[/TD]

[TD valign="bottom"] Victoria [/TD]
[TD valign="bottom"]
6,490,000​
[/TD]
[TD valign="bottom"]
64.9​
[/TD]
[TD valign="bottom"]
723​
[/TD]
[TD valign="bottom"]
11.140​
[/TD]
[TD valign="bottom"]
0​
[/TD]
[TD valign="bottom"]
0.000​
[/TD]
[TD valign="bottom"]
-723​
[/TD]
[TD valign="bottom"]
-100.00%
[/TD]

No it is not harsh. Le flog's article states in relation to the wearing of masks.

"In the UK, the Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies advises against the "excessive measure" of mandating their use outdoors. "It is critical that recommendations are seen to be based on the science and proportionate," the group notes."

Why would we take any note of what anyone in the UK says, given their simply "splendid" effort in dealing with the virus over there?

1.53 million cases. 55230 deaths. A record number of daily new cases of 33470 on the 12th of November.

There is implied albeit subtle criticism of the Victorian handling of the pandemic right throughout le flog's article. He is a moron of the highest order.

Back on the 30th of July when Dan Andrews announced the State of Disaster, we were actually in a far more dangerous place than either the UK or France, though the Gold Medal leaders in everything covid-19, the US were leading us comfortably. Have a look at what has transpired below on a per 100000 head of population basis. The figures below as at the 12th of November are a grim reflection of the shocking trajectories that the UK, France and the US have taken compared to Victoria.

To suggest that masks did not play a part, along with of course, the curfew, the 5 kilometre zone for an hours exercise a day, supermarket shopping restrictions, is in my opinion disingenuous. le flog is an idiot.

[TD valign="bottom"]
Population
[/TD]
[TD valign="bottom"]
Population
[/TD]
[TD valign="bottom"]
New Cases
[/TD]
[TD valign="bottom"]
Cases/100k
[/TD]
[TD valign="bottom"]
New Cases
[/TD]
[TD valign="bottom"]
Cases/100k
[/TD]
[TD valign="bottom"]
Increase/
[/TD]
[TD valign="bottom"]
% Increase/
[/TD]

[TD valign="bottom"]
[/TD]
[TD valign="bottom"]
per 100000
[/TD]
[TD valign="bottom"]
30th July
[/TD]
[TD valign="bottom"]
30th July
[/TD]
[TD valign="bottom"]
12th November
[/TD]
[TD valign="bottom"]
12th November
[/TD]
[TD valign="bottom"]
Decrease
[/TD]
[TD valign="bottom"]
Decrease
[/TD]

[TD valign="bottom"]
65,200,000​
[/TD]
[TD valign="bottom"]
652.0​
[/TD]
[TD valign="bottom"]
1377​
[/TD]
[TD valign="bottom"]
2.112​
[/TD]
[TD valign="bottom"]
33172​
[/TD]
[TD valign="bottom"]
50.877​
[/TD]
[TD valign="bottom"]
31795​
[/TD]
[TD valign="bottom"]
2309.01%
[/TD]

[TD valign="bottom"]
67,800,000​
[/TD]
[TD valign="bottom"]
678.0​
[/TD]
[TD valign="bottom"]
846​
[/TD]
[TD valign="bottom"]
1.248​
[/TD]
[TD valign="bottom"]
33470​
[/TD]
[TD valign="bottom"]
49.366​
[/TD]
[TD valign="bottom"]
32624​
[/TD]
[TD valign="bottom"]
3856.26%
[/TD]

[TD valign="bottom"]
331,000,000​
[/TD]
[TD valign="bottom"]
3310.0​
[/TD]
[TD valign="bottom"]
69114​
[/TD]
[TD valign="bottom"]
20.880​
[/TD]
[TD valign="bottom"]
144000​
[/TD]
[TD valign="bottom"]
43.505​
[/TD]
[TD valign="bottom"]
74886​
[/TD]
[TD valign="bottom"]
108.35%
[/TD]

[TD valign="bottom"]
6,490,000​
[/TD]
[TD valign="bottom"]
64.9​
[/TD]
[TD valign="bottom"]
723​
[/TD]
[TD valign="bottom"]
11.140​
[/TD]
[TD valign="bottom"]
0​
[/TD]
[TD valign="bottom"]
0.000​
[/TD]
[TD valign="bottom"]
-723​
[/TD]
[TD valign="bottom"]
-100.00%
[/TD]
Sadly, Dan’s incompetent management of wave one caused the second wave and 700 plus deaths - lets not forget that. Never forget that. But we cannot argue with his management of the second wave. Lockdown, masks, whatever - collectively it worked and today we are 0-0-0. Did he go too hard? Maybe, maybe not. But 0-0-0 speaks for itself. End result is no covid currently. I don’t get the anti mask sentiment. It is hardly a huge inconvenience.

[TD valign="bottom"]
Population
[/TD]
[TD valign="bottom"]
Population
[/TD]
[TD valign="bottom"]
New Cases
[/TD]
[TD valign="bottom"]
Cases/100k
[/TD]
[TD valign="bottom"]
New Cases
[/TD]
[TD valign="bottom"]
Cases/100k
[/TD]
[TD valign="bottom"]
Increase/
[/TD]
[TD valign="bottom"]
% Increase/
[/TD]

[TD valign="bottom"]
[/TD]
[TD valign="bottom"]
per 100000
[/TD]
[TD valign="bottom"]
30th July
[/TD]
[TD valign="bottom"]
30th July
[/TD]
[TD valign="bottom"]
12th November
[/TD]
[TD valign="bottom"]
12th November
[/TD]
[TD valign="bottom"]
Decrease
[/TD]
[TD valign="bottom"]
Decrease
[/TD]

[TD valign="bottom"]
65,200,000​
[/TD]
[TD valign="bottom"]
652.0​
[/TD]
[TD valign="bottom"]
1377​
[/TD]
[TD valign="bottom"]
2.112​
[/TD]
[TD valign="bottom"]
33172​
[/TD]
[TD valign="bottom"]
50.877​
[/TD]
[TD valign="bottom"]
31795​
[/TD]
[TD valign="bottom"]
2309.01%
[/TD]

[TD valign="bottom"]
67,800,000​
[/TD]
[TD valign="bottom"]
678.0​
[/TD]
[TD valign="bottom"]
846​
[/TD]
[TD valign="bottom"]
1.248​
[/TD]
[TD valign="bottom"]
33470​
[/TD]
[TD valign="bottom"]
49.366​
[/TD]
[TD valign="bottom"]
32624​
[/TD]
[TD valign="bottom"]
3856.26%
[/TD]

[TD valign="bottom"]
331,000,000​
[/TD]
[TD valign="bottom"]
3310.0​
[/TD]
[TD valign="bottom"]
69114​
[/TD]
[TD valign="bottom"]
20.880​
[/TD]
[TD valign="bottom"]
144000​
[/TD]
[TD valign="bottom"]
43.505​
[/TD]
[TD valign="bottom"]
74886​
[/TD]
[TD valign="bottom"]
108.35%
[/TD]

[TD valign="bottom"]
6,490,000​
[/TD]
[TD valign="bottom"]
64.9​
[/TD]
[TD valign="bottom"]
723​
[/TD]
[TD valign="bottom"]
11.140​
[/TD]
[TD valign="bottom"]
0​
[/TD]
[TD valign="bottom"]
0.000​
[/TD]
[TD valign="bottom"]
-723​
[/TD]
[TD valign="bottom"]
-100.00%
[/TD]

Okay fine. I am not suggesting that masks didn't make a difference. I also can't understand how something like wearing a mask became such a stupid culture war issue in the USA (well I can but it is still moronically stupid).

I am suggesting that science never supported the need to wear masks outdoors when distancing is easy and that whilst calling it an excessive measure might be emotive, it is technically correct. No one has ever caught covid by walking past someone on the footpath.

You seem to have a specific dislike of Le Grand, which is absolutely your right. I just don't see this article as being particularly offensive or wrong and I don't think he was saying we should be doing what the UK or US have done. Different interpretations.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Okay fine. I am not suggesting that masks didn't make a difference. I also can't understand how something like wearing a mask became such a stupid culture war issue in the USA (well I can but it is still moronically stupid).

I am suggesting that science never supported the need to wear masks outdoors when distancing is easy and that whilst calling it an excessive measure might be emotive, it is technically correct. No one has ever caught covid by walking past someone on the footpath.

You seem to have a specific dislike of Le Grand, which is absolutely your right. I just don't see this article as being particularly offensive or wrong and I don't think he was saying we should be doing what the UK or US have done. Different interpretations.

This is true. Maybe it has something to do with his writings about the *essendon doping activities.

This is true. Maybe it has something to do with his writings about the *essendon doping activities.

My recollections were that he was one of the more balanced ones. That could be wrong though. He certainly wasn't Robbo who became AFL's equivalent of Hannity "reporting" on Trump.

I think the Wallabies have done well with Rennie.

Not sure Foster can survive until the next World Cup if the current trajectory is what he produces. It may not necessarily be fair on the coach but Kiwis have extremely high expectations of their team and coach. Two wins, two losses, and a draw against teams that aren't in the top 3 or 4 on the world just doesn't cut it.

Wallabies look so much better organised under Rennie. Scrum is lots better, better defensively too
Hopefully its a start of a good Wallaby era. I hope so as a rugby fan, because NZ having the Bledisloe Cup for 18 years does nothing for either side

I’ve been back in our CBD office for the past week and a half. The building’s carpark (usually full) has been close to empty. The floor our offices are on is also usually filled with other workers but I’ve only seen two.

I honestly thought we’d never leave the city but today had a meeting with the big cheese re options for us beyond our current re-worked discounted leasing deal where we are (and have been since the 90’s) and it looks like we’ll be shipping out early 2021. The previous pressure felt re. “what if we can’t find a suitable alternate office before this lease expires” is no more too as Covid has shown we can carry on remotely from home if necessary, allowing time to find the right property in the ‘burbs rather than the right now property.

We’ll save tens of thousands per month by moving out and I’m loving the thought.

Times are a changing mate!
They did here too TT !
Wellington CBD has seen a marked drop in the number of people as a good number of staff stayed working from home, and our lockdown finished in May.
This will undoubtedly translate to firms leasing a smaller footprint
Lots of discussions about the roles of cities in the world post Covid. People have embraced the idea of stopping the commute and moving to areas of cheaper housing

Wallabies look so much better organised under Rennie. Scrum is lots better, better defensively too
Hopefully its a start of a good Wallaby era. I hope so as a rugby fan, because NZ having the Bledisloe Cup for 18 years does nothing for either side

Agree with all of that. We just seemed to play smarter rugby from the very first test under Rennie. Mind you that wasn't hard after 5 years of Cheika's one-dimensional game plan. It will take a while but I can see the Wallabies being a very good team just as the Roos really begin to charge up the ladder.

So when Foster gets the sack who is your pick out of Gatland, Robertson, or Joseph?

Agree with all of that. We just seemed to play smarter rugby from the very first test under Rennie. Mind you that wasn't hard after 5 years of Cheika's one-dimensional game plan. It will take a while but I can see the Wallabies being a very good team just as the Roos really begin to charge up the ladder.

So when Foster gets the sack who is your pick out of Gatland, Robertson, or Joseph?

Scott Robertson would hose in I'd think

His Canterbury sides are just scary how accurate they are, plus he turns average players into good footy players.
There's a reason all the young talent round NZ wants to play for the village of the damned

Does anyone think some improvements to international arrivals quarantine conditions are on the cards?

I know they have resumed testing on day 4 in addition to day 11.

Two schools of thought on that, one is to identify if people are catching it inside hotel quarantine, the other is that they may be looking reducing the stay down from 14 days to 10, or 7.

If the test at day 4 is negative and no cases of positive test at day 11, then it would make sense to reduce?

UK just announced early release after a test on day 5 comes back negative.

Does anyone think some improvements to international arrivals quarantine conditions are on the cards?

I know they have resumed testing on day 4 in addition to day 11.

Two schools of thought on that, one is to identify if people are catching it inside hotel quarantine, the other is that they may be looking reducing the stay down from 14 days to 10, or 7.

If the test at day 4 is negative and no cases of positive test at day 11, then it would make sense to reduce?

UK just announced early release after a test on day 5 comes back negative.

I don't think we should allow international travel until after the vaccine, given how bad we are at handling outbreaks without hard lockdowns.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back