News Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion Thread III - L6ckdown

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This info was delayed this morning, so there were rumours we had some locally acquired cases. Good news that there weren't.

I know rampant politician-whipping is the sole remaining acceptable “blood sport” going around and they are the easiest of targets - especially by people who have never been accountable or responsible for anything in life. However, jeez, the amount of stuff they have to juggle, knowing they’re going to be flayed, regardless of which option they go with! I’m surprised we don’t see more heart attacks on the job. Notwithstanding, they are their own worst enemies some of the time. When/if we get through this pandemic, I’m guessing more politicians will give it away than get voted out.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I know rampant politician-whipping is the sole remaining acceptable “blood sport” going around and they are the easiest of targets - especially by people who have never been accountable or responsible for anything in life. However, jeez, the amount of stuff they have to juggle, knowing they’re going to be flayed, regardless of which option they go with! I’m surprised we don’t see more heart attacks on the job. Notwithstanding, they are their own worst enemies some of the time. When/if we get through this pandemic, I’m guessing more politicians will give it away than get voted out.

They're devious lying sacks of s**t and deserve everything they cop.

You need to remember that they beg for these jobs, they aren't conscripted.

Just flicked over to see what looked like half a stadium full in the NFL. What are the numbers capped at over there?

It depends on the location as some US cities are allowed some crowd and others none.

The pleasing pattern continues... Keep the quarantine in check and we should be good... Especially after the tennis finishes:

Brets been on this for a while now. No wonder they don’t want an investigation

I posted this on a MB CoV thread the other day, it was in response to a BW podcast Tef had linked where they specifically discuss the lab escape hypothesis. The paper I'm citing was published in 2014:

This is interesting. Dunno if you remember or not but I raised the lab leak possibility with you back in March or April.

I'd read this paper.

A SARS-like cluster of circulating bat coronaviruses shows potential for human emergence

This is the intro paragraph:

The emergence of severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus (SARS-CoV) and Middle East respiratory syndrome (MERS)-CoV underscores the threat of cross-species transmission events leading to outbreaks in humans. Here we examine the disease potential of a SARS-like virus, SHC014-CoV, which is currently circulating in Chinese horseshoe bat populations1. Using the SARS-CoV reverse genetics system2, we generated and characterized a chimeric virus expressing the spike of bat coronavirus SHC014 in a mouse-adapted SARS-CoV backbone. The results indicate that group 2b viruses encoding the SHC014 spike in a wild-type backbone can efficiently use multiple orthologs of the SARS receptor human angiotensin converting enzyme II (ACE2), replicate efficiently in primary human airway cells and achieve in vitrotiters equivalent to epidemic strains of SARS-CoV. Additionally, in vivo experiments demonstrate replication of the chimeric virus in mouse lung with notable pathogenesis. Evaluation of available SARS-based immune-therapeutic and prophylactic modalities revealed poor efficacy; both monoclonal antibody and vaccine approaches failed to neutralize and protect from infection with CoVs using the novel spike protein. On the basis of these findings, we synthetically re-derived an infectious full-length SHC014 recombinant virus and demonstrate robust viral replication both in vitro and in vivo. Our work suggests a potential risk of SARS-CoV re-emergence from viruses currently circulating in bat populations.

Maybe I'm wrong, I'm no scientician, but I think that says they built a virus that functions almost identically to SARS-CoV-2 out of bat coronavirus shc014 and a versions of SARS-CoV (the original SARS) that had been modified to infect mice. If you look at the names on that paper Zhengli-Li Shi's name turns up. IIRC she runs the lab in Wuhan or did run it 14 months ago. There is one other person credited on the paper from the same lab.

Maybe that prediction came true and this Virus emerged from the wild. Or maybe it emerged from that lab in Wuhan. The paper is six years old. Did they just stop this line of research? The idea that SARS-CoV-2 came from a lab is not unreasonable and shouldn't be dismissed as just another conspiracy theory.

I posted this on a MB CoV thread the other day, it was in response to a BW podcast Tef had linked where they specifically discuss the lab escape hypothesis. The paper I'm citing was published in 2014:

This is interesting. Dunno if you remember or not but I raised the lab leak possibility with you back in March or April.

I'd read this paper.

A SARS-like cluster of circulating bat coronaviruses shows potential for human emergence

This is the intro paragraph:

The emergence of severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus (SARS-CoV) and Middle East respiratory syndrome (MERS)-CoV underscores the threat of cross-species transmission events leading to outbreaks in humans. Here we examine the disease potential of a SARS-like virus, SHC014-CoV, which is currently circulating in Chinese horseshoe bat populations1. Using the SARS-CoV reverse genetics system2, we generated and characterized a chimeric virus expressing the spike of bat coronavirus SHC014 in a mouse-adapted SARS-CoV backbone. The results indicate that group 2b viruses encoding the SHC014 spike in a wild-type backbone can efficiently use multiple orthologs of the SARS receptor human angiotensin converting enzyme II (ACE2), replicate efficiently in primary human airway cells and achieve in vitrotiters equivalent to epidemic strains of SARS-CoV. Additionally, in vivo experiments demonstrate replication of the chimeric virus in mouse lung with notable pathogenesis. Evaluation of available SARS-based immune-therapeutic and prophylactic modalities revealed poor efficacy; both monoclonal antibody and vaccine approaches failed to neutralize and protect from infection with CoVs using the novel spike protein. On the basis of these findings, we synthetically re-derived an infectious full-length SHC014 recombinant virus and demonstrate robust viral replication both in vitro and in vivo. Our work suggests a potential risk of SARS-CoV re-emergence from viruses currently circulating in bat populations.

Maybe I'm wrong, I'm no scientician, but I think that says they built a virus that functions almost identically to SARS-CoV-2 out of bat coronavirus shc014 and a versions of SARS-CoV (the original SARS) that had been modified to infect mice. If you look at the names on that paper Zhengli-Li Shi's name turns up. IIRC she runs the lab in Wuhan or did run it 14 months ago. There is one other person credited on the paper from the same lab.

Maybe that prediction came true and this Virus emerged from the wild. Or maybe it emerged from that lab in Wuhan. The paper is six years old. Did they just stop this line of research? The idea that SARS-CoV-2 came from a lab is not unreasonable and shouldn't be dismissed as just another conspiracy theory.

Dismissing it would be cowardly

Got a cold of my best little mate and am casually awaiting my text to send me back out into the world. Reckon I have answered 11,751 questions so far today, glued back together 3 remote control vehicles due to smash em up derby style fun, gone through 4 sets of batteries, finished off yesterdays beer fanatics jigsaw and am, now getting a lesson in the characters from Shaun the sheep. Kinda hoping to go back to work tomorrow 🙃

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good luck.
Got the all clear, work is sooo much easier than my best little mate firing questions at me 3 to the breath 🙃

Brets been on this for a while now. No wonder they don’t want an investigation

Honestly surprised this hasn't gained more traction.

The only level 4 biosecurity lab in China is in Wuhan and the outbreak begun in Wuhan. Surely not just a coincidence.

China will do everything humanly possible to ensure the virus isn't linked back to the Lab though.

The only level 4 biosecurity lab in China is in Wuhan and the outbreak begun in Wuhan. Surely not just a coincidence.

China will do everything humanly possible to ensure the virus isn't linked back to the Lab though.

It requires a simple thing called "evidence" mate.

Even tho the head of said lab had her name on a paper where they inserted protein spikes from a common bat corona virus into or onto various modified SARS viruses.

Even tho the head of said lab had her name on a paper where they inserted protein spikes from a common bat corona virus into or onto various modified SARS viruses.

I saw that paper, and it's based upon poor analysis and is politically compromised.

Are you talking about a paper that came out last year claiming to have proved something bout the origins of COVID19? I honestly haven't read it and wouldn't bother for very similar to the reasons you mention.

I'm talking about the 2014 paper I quoted to you in the SRP COVID thread in response to the Dark Horse vodcast you posted. I reposted my comment upthread. Its just a research paper and has nothing to do with the paper produced last year. This is it.

It doesn't prove anything. Its circumstantial evidence and if a person was convicted on it it would be a poor show but it is strong circumstantial evidence. I'll repeat the intro paragraph with my bolded bits.

A chimera virus:

The working definition of the term “chimera” is a new hybrid microorganism created by joining nucleic acid fragments from two or more different microorganisms in which each of at least two of the fragments contain essential genes necessary for replication.

So its been done and doing it shows the official explanation for the virus outbreak 2019 that caused the pandemic could happen. I'm not saying it wasn't a genuine emergent virus either. Its just that to prove their point they provided almost perfect evidence that it could also have come from a lab.

Right now as far as I know there isn't enough evidence to say one way or another. Both explanations are reasonable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back