News Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion Thread IV

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure that will help. Just feel a little uneasy about the decision and I'm not too sure why. Is it over the top?
Not at all.

You can't trust people.
c862787a2887db0bc1b0238f98c0015b.gif

This doesn't really prove the claims you were making about doctors being deregistered. Extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence.

In relation to this guy, it's not that long ago that he was shilling for hydroxychloroquine as well. So maybe he is just as wrong on Ivermectin.

"The university, however, recently distanced itself from Professor Clancy in a statement issued in the name of its vice-chancellor, Alex Zelinski.

"While the University always respects freedom of speech, Robert Clancy is not speaking on behalf of the University of Newcastle when offering his opinion on this issue," Professor Zelinski said.

"The University has not funded his research since 2009 and he retired in 2013.

Then there is always the fact that many more experts, who are not retired, don't believe there is compelling evidence for the efficacy of Ivermectin:

"“There’s really no compelling evidence it works,” said Dr Peter Hotez, a professor and dean of the National School of Tropical Medicine at Baylor College of Medicine who previously worked on health policy for using vermectin to treat parasitic diseases."

Recent footage of Robert Clancy
giphy.gif

I am very pro-vaccination. But I don’t like the way this basically says anyone vaxed who died had underlying conditions (unspecified) so don’t worry about them, they’d have died anyway, but you are supposed to think everyone who died unvaccinated did not have other conditions so would be alive and happy today if they’d just got the jabs. Either special pleading on underlying conditions goes for everyone, or no-one. And the vaccine doesn’t come with absolute guarantees, never did - it’s fantastic risk mitigation, sell it as that.

I am very pro-vaccination. But I don’t like the way this basically says anyone vaxed who died had underlying conditions (unspecified) so don’t worry about them, they’d have died anyway, but you are supposed to think everyone who died unvaccinated did not have other conditions so would be alive and happy today if they’d just got the jabs. Either special pleading on underlying conditions goes for everyone, or no-one. And the vaccine doesn’t come with absolute guarantees, never did - it’s fantastic risk mitigation, sell it as that.

Thank you for saying that so succinctly, it’s pissed me off the whole time .

I don't really see it as saying that at all. I see it more as pre-empting the anti-vaxxer arguments that the vaccine doesn't work or is not worth bothering with because you can still catch the virus, spread the virus, etc. I think it is about maintaining public faith in the vaccines.

It’s going to be funny watching these anti covid vaxxers that I know from construction slowly realising and ultimately justifying why they got vaxxed. Fair play, they’ll probably see the funny side as well eventually.
They have only given them one week to get their first jab. Hope that is enough time to get a booking in the city?

I don't really see it as saying that at all. I see it more as pre-empting the anti-vaxxer arguments that the vaccine doesn't work or is not worth bothering with because you can still catch the virus, spread the virus, etc. I think it is about maintaining public faith in the vaccines.
I guess it’s my theme of the week - they should be able to sell what vaccines are, not a black and white, unrealistic marketing idea of what they are. Also my theme of this stage of the pandemic, only bring up underlying conditions when someone has died if you can give us details that help understanding, otherwise it‘s kind of s**t.

I’ll give you the tip, the one’s worried about a covid vax passport are more concerned about the mandatory drug and alcohol tests like they have in the mines coming in. But unless they mandated it across all sectors, corporate, retail, hospitality, education, government employment etc it isn’t going to happen. The trade unions are the strongest and if they break through them then it’ll be in every workforce across Australia.

That is one of the arguments That Clancy fella made in the Quadrant article.

He specifically said the the message should be wtte of "you're 1000 times less likely to die of covid with the vaccine than without it."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That is one of the arguments That Clancy fella made in the Quadrant article.

He specifically said the the message should be wtte of "you're 1000 times less likely to die of covid with the vaccine than without it."
Ferb go to sleep

I’ll give you the tip, the one’s worried about a covid vax passport are more concerned about the mandatory drug and alcohol tests like they have in the mines coming in. But unless they mandated it across all sectors, corporate, retail, hospitality, education, government employment etc it isn’t going to happen. The trade unions are the strongest and if they break through them then it’ll be in every workforce across Australia.

Its a very good point.

I've got a few mates who work in WA in those mines, well did, a few don't anymore cos of covid. The s**t they get up to avoid the tests, either dodgy drugs or rorting tests, makes for some funny stories.

The more this goes on the less likely vaccine passports are to stand up. if they are talking about this virus being endemic with regular outbreaks then it will move to rapid testing.

I have to finish something. But its getting to the point where I'm wasting more time than doing it so i might.
Sleep is more important! It will make you finish it faster tomorrow

Its a very good point.

I've got a few mates who work in WA in those mines, well did, a few don't anymore cos of covid. The sh*t they get up to avoid the tests, either dodgy drugs or rorting tests, makes for some funny stories.

The more this goes on the less likely vaccine passports are to stand up. if they are talking about this virus being endemic with regular outbreaks then it will move to rapid testing.

I have a couple of cousins that work in the mines, the main thing is random breath tests, or as they call it “blowing numbers”. They don’t really get drug tested because it’s so expensive.

The onlyOTE="Royal Flush, post: 72202142, member: 55449"]

On Pixel 4 using BigFooty.com mobile app
[/QUOTE]

No one talks about them anymore because in their typical manner the right wing economy-over-everything crowd stopped bringing them up at every opportunity once the evidence came in that not only did more people die in Sweden but their economy crashed even harder than their neighbours.

The only reason they were a discussion point in the first place was because idiots were literally fabricating stats to try and hold them up as a success.

No one talks about them anymore because in typically their typical manner the right wing economy-over-everything crowd stopped bringing them up at every opportunity once the evidence came in that not only did more people die in Sweden but their economy crashed even harder than their neighbours.
Did you read the article in the link.
There's charts that suggest otherwise

Did you read the article in the link.
There's charts that suggest otherwise

Indeed I did sir. He's cherry picking the same old charts that the Sweden aficionados were cherry picking last year, with a couple of admittedly new, equally as cherry picked additions.

I also laughed at this:

"So to answer the question, why does no one talk about Sweden anymore? It’s because it’s no longer useful for the media to promote their agenda."

Which is as applicable to those who were throwing Sweden into every conversation as a model to follow last year.

There was a study released just last month IIRC which delved into their more deaths + worse economic outcomes using proper modelling (not just throwing charts onto a page and saying 'recent stats' without even telling the reader what the date range is like in the one you linked).

I'll try to find that article for you but if I'm honest, I don't intend on going line by line through the article you linked and pointing out how the author is being misleading. You're entrenched in your position as I am in mine. It would be a waste of time at this point.

Indeed I did sir. He's cherry picking the same old charts that the Sweden aficionados were cherry picking last year, with a couple of admittedly new, equally as cherry picked additions.

I also laughed at this:

"So to answer the question, why does no one talk about Sweden anymore? It’s because it’s no longer useful for the media to promote their agenda."

Which is as applicable to those who were throwing Sweden into every conversation as a model to follow last year.

There was a study released just last month IIRC which delved into their more deaths + worse economic outcomes using proper modelling (not just throwing charts onto a page and saying 'recent stats' without even telling the reader what the date range is like in the one you linked).

I'll try to find that article for you but if I'm honest, I don't intend on going line by line through the article you linked and pointing out how the author is being misleading. You're entrenched in your position as I am in mine. It would be a waste of time at this point.
I'm not really intrenched in anything.
I just know two extremes are not sound strategies.
Ignore it and live with it, or hard lockdown to eradicate it are equally extreme solutions.

Im more in the middle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back