News Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion Thread IV

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not really intrenched in anything.
I just know two extremes are not sound strategies.
Ignore it and live with it, or hard lockdown to eradicate it are equally extreme solutions.

Im more in the middle.

On Pixel 4 using BigFooty.com mobile app

One thing I will admit is that any study, or stat is an 'up to this point' stat so everyone needs to be somewhat open minded.

It could be 18/24 months of this pandemic that we're up to. It could be 18/48, who knows.

A new variant could pop up capable of reinfecting people and all of a sudden the countries which chose a herd immunity strategy have to go through it all again. Or a new variant could pop up that is better at evading vaccines but not so much people who acquired immunity through previous infection, and then all of a sudden unless we find a new vaccine quicksmart, the herd immunity countries may in the long run be better off.

There will be studies, costs and accounting of all this once the dust is settled, but 99 per cent of both sides of the conversation won't care or pay it any attention once the dust has settled and we are 'out' of the pandemic. The work will get done, we will get some form of answer as to which strategy was best, but it'll get consigned to the dustbin of academic journals for epidemiologists and economists to glance at and that's pretty much it.

That tiktok guy who’d ‘guess’ the cases in NSW and then got outed for being a racist and was at a ‘freedom’ protest is now in hospital with covid.

now I don’t wish this upon anyone but gods timing is always right 😃
There's something about karma that always seems to resonate with me. I'm not a religious person, but believe in karma. Be a good person and good things will happen. Be a terrible human being and you know rest.

One thing I will admit is that any study, or stat is an 'up to this point' stat so everyone needs to be somewhat open minded.

It could be 18/24 months of this pandemic that we're up to. It could be 18/48, who knows.

A new variant could pop up capable of reinfecting people and all of a sudden the countries which chose a herd immunity strategy have to go through it all again. Or a new variant could pop up that is better at evading vaccines but not so much people who acquired immunity through previous infection, and then all of a sudden unless we find a new vaccine quicksmart, the herd immunity countries may in the long run be better off.

There will be studies, costs and accounting of all this once the dust is settled, but 99 per cent of both sides of the conversation won't care or pay it any attention once the dust has settled and we are 'out' of the pandemic. The work will get done, we will get some form of answer as to which strategy was best, but it'll get consigned to the dustbin of academic journals for epidemiologists and economists to glance at and that's pretty much it.
im not really up to the level of annalysis, that some posters are at.
I posted more for the purpose, to read the views of those that are capable of constructive annalysis and read their opinions.
(Saves me having to research it, with lack of time)

There's something about karma that always seems to resonate with me. I'm not a religious person, but believe in karma. Be a good person and good things will happen. Be a terrible human being and you know rest.
Sometimes it's a very slow bus though

Karma is just a concept that was invented by oppressors to have the downtrodden less likely to seek actual 'justice', and act to enforce it, if they believe there will be a cosmic balancing of scales. I need another coffee, methinks.

This pandemic might still be going when we are dead. (Of old age hopefully, not covid next month.)

Everyone thinks this is a problem we will solve quickly but many medical problems we have solved took centuries of work. The first "Vaccinations" against small pox could be thousands of years old (forms of innoculation against it are mentioned in ancient Indian ayruvedic medicine manuals etc) and are definitely 500 years old (in China.) So the dust might not settle for a long time yet.

Maybe not, but we don't know.

There is alot of uncertainty right now. Real uncertainty no just the normal stuff. The background against which we live our lives and deal with other (everyday, individual) uncertainty has changed. Its not really something we've had as a society since at least the end of the cold war, with the exception of 9/11. But even that didn't upset the normal day to day way most of us lived our lives. Most of the tension we are all seeing and feeling comes from that.

Sweden should be using Dan’s system.

Great Success
Well maybe if they did they wouldn't have 15,000 deaths compared to our 1200 in a country that's less than half as populous as ours.

The real inconvenient truth that people like Cretin, sorry, Creighton want to ignore is that lockdowns in Australia have saved thousands of lives while also doing less damage to our economy as countries, like Sweden, with a much higher death rate.

My sister and BIL were meant to get their jabs yesterday. Woke up with symptoms and got tested. They've received confirmation that they both have Covid. What are the bloody chances! smh.

My sister and BIL were meant to get their jabs yesterday. Woke up with symptoms and got tested. They've received confirmation that they both have Covid. What are the bloody chances! smh.
I hope they both they have a speedy recovery 😃

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thinking of them GR. All the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back