News Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion Thread IV

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right at the start the stories coming out of Italy were shocking. I remember watching that thinking that it was only a matter of time till we copped it like that. If I’m being truthful I thought it would claim a couple of us in here. Thank goodness it didn’t turn out as bad as first predicted but unfortunately it’s lead to people taking for granted the fact that it wasn’t as deadly.

I’ve heard the metaphor for this virus is
a goldilocks virus. Works for me.
My brain for some reason is making a link from goldilocks, to bears, to the bear cat that's been patrolling the streets. I guess it kinda works?

Almost every job has some kind of requirement attached to it. You can't be a crane operator without the right ticket, can't manage a bar without your RSA, plenty of jobs need a first aid certificate. Plenty of volunteer positions need a police clearance or Working With Children certificate otherwise you can't do it.

What I don't understand is why the COVID vaccine is the one thing you are against.

I don’t know the long term side affects, fairly simple. I know I’m firing on all cylinders as we speak, if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

Article about how far right groups know their history and are taking advantage of the pandemic and distrust of government to increase distrust of unions and increase feelings of alienation to bring people (mostly angry young men) into their fold - an approach that has worked for them in the past and obviously still does work with some likely targets.

Have to agree with the first point he makes about solutions - it must be harder to recruit if their potential audience is gainfully employed - and hopefully as we get through the worst of this and the economy recovers, a lot of the factors driving this current disorder recede. Still, clearly these actors are now part of our system and we will have to stay alert to the threat.

Left wing movements tend to come from lack of opportunity, right wing ones tend to come from lost opportunity, (very generally obviously.) Which is why the stuff in town with the CFMMEU is more of a worry than what happened in Richmond on its own. It has the potential to become a nasty mix.

It hasn't just suddenly appeared tho. The same networks radicalised Brenton Tarrant and Anders Breviek.

That's why we have an approval process to follow still. Given it's been stuck in the arms of millions worldwide I'm somewhat optimistic that an 11 year old won't suddenly have a reaction that a 12 year old has been proven not to.
There is a fair chance they don't need it tho. Unless they are at risk due to some other illness.

This is pre delta but there isn't any real reason it should be different post delta that i'm aware of.

Its a reasonably good article. Pre delta sure but I don't know why it would still broadly apply unless there are specific changes in some of the things mentioned in the article.

Left wing movements tend to come from lack of opportunity, right wing ones tend to come from lost opportunity, (very generally obviously.) Which is why the stuff in town with the CFMMEU is more of a worry than what happened in Richmond on its own. It has the potential to become a nasty mix.

It hasn't just suddenly appeared tho. The same networks radicalised Brenton Tarrant and Anders Breviek.

Robbies cousin? Does he play for Richmond? Is that why he left? ☹️

I'm hoping Bolt's head explodes from all the mental gymnastics is going to have to perform to justify what happened and self combusts
His head didn't explode. No gymnastics - no nothing. On a night tailored for the nutty right - mongrels desecrate Shrine etc - we got donuts. His first story was about the earthquake. His second about some loopy China conspiracy and we even got a long-winded run down on Hunter Biden and a laptop. A hypocrite.

Knowing full well vaccines do not stop infection how is it not beyond the realms of possibilty to think it's the vaccinated that are causing more dangerous mutations?

If mutations are taking place, then I think it's fair to assume they can take place in both vaccinated, and unvaccinated populations due to the well documented nature of the mrna vaccines, hint, does not stop infection.

Why would a mutation in the unvaccinated population be more devastating to the vaccinated, than a mutation that took place in the vaccinated population, that literally already worked out a way to surpass the vaccine?
The vaccines have been shown to lower the amount of virus reproduced even when people get infected, therefore, simply on numbers alone, an unvaccinated population will have more mutations over time than a vaccinated one. Which means an unvaccinated population will generate more mutations per head of population ... which means there is more chance of a nastier variant taking hold as the dominant variant.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The vaccines have been shown to lower the amount of virus reproduced even when people get infected, therefore, simply on numbers alone, an unvaccinated population will have more mutations over time than a vaccinated one. Which means an unvaccinated population will generate more mutations per head of population ... which means there is more chance of a nastier variant taking hold as the dominant variant.
I thought this was common sense lol

Far right and far left are the different sides of the same coin, they have a lot more in common with each other than they do with the vast majority of the population that are moderates.
The things that drive far left movements that gain real traction are different to the things that drive right wing ones. But this is all very generalist. Left wing movements are often motivated by massive, chronic long term wealth and status disparities coupled with general abuse and exploitation so its easy to find scapegoats for the movement to target. Right wing ones come from loss (or fear of loss) of access to resources or resources themselves and status, usually because of circumstances beyond peoples control but not necessarily beyond the control of a nations leaders.

But natural disasters, loss in battle etc etc unforseen stuff like pandemics can motivate them.

Generally, obviously. And there is always other complex factors at play but its a reasonable generalisation.

Yeah but maybe it isn't actually that well known. And sometimes people need things explained clearly and simply.
Totally, it’s also that people twist things to suit their narrative opposed to actually looking how virus mutations work

Hey, that didn't address the article at all. The point of that article is that natural immunity works, and may stop the need for reaccuring vaccines rolling out forever. So the young, or those in good health could consider the natural route.

This is particularly relevant for kids. There have been no under 20s deaths, and just a few months ago the government was saying they didn't need a vaccine, but now they are developing vaccines for kids over 6 years old. Do we really need to subject them to a lifetime of vaccines?
There is a thing called hybrid immunity. Ideally getting infected after vaccination will provide it. The studies coming out of Israel are starting to suggest that hybrid immunity for survivors who have the vaccine afterward, even only one dose, is dtronger and broader but its too early to tell yet.

Generally that’s true but not with covid vaccines.

But you ignore the point. You're a health risk to others if you're not vaccinated in certain work. Its not about your rights here: it's about the rights of others.
Do you think unvaccinated workers should be able to work in old age villages?

I noticed blueandwhiteinmy blood refused to answer the question ...

Anthony Fauci, President Biden's chief medical adviser, on Sunday discussed new Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) data that showed the levels of coronavirus in breakthrough cases of the delta variant among those who are fully vaccinated are "almost identical" to the levels seen among unvaccinated individuals.

Appearing on CBS's "Face the Nation," Fauci stressed that the majority of breakthrough cases involving the delta variant saw "minimal symptoms or no symptoms at all."

The nasopharynx is part of the nasal cavity located above the back of the throat. Fauci stated that it was "troubling" to find that the level of virus from the delta variant in both vaccinated and unvaccinated people is "really quite similar, almost identical."

According to Fauci, these findings differ from what was observed in cases involving the previously dominant alpha variant.

"So we know now that vaccinated people who get breakthrough infections can spread the virus to other people," Fauci said. "The fundamental basis for the CDC modifying their guidelines and saying now, 'If you're an area of a high or substantial trend of level of virus, namely a red or an orange zone, when you're in an indoor public setting, you need to wear a mask.' That's the fundamental reason for that change."

jerry-seinfeld-nope.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back