News Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion Thread IV

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
On a side note, it's been a bit of a battle but I've begun calling out some of the people who have used this virus to spew some virulent racism.

Whether it's the initial outbreak in Box Hill, the outbreaks in the Western Suburbs or this most recent even in the South East, some people I know (and many more I don't know) are using this as an opportunity to kick whatever ethnic or religious group they think is responsible for it.

The hypocritical thing is that the people I know personally who most quickly resort to racism have themselves been breaking the rules and defying the restrictions.

This pandemic is really bringing out the worst in people. I've been deep in the claws of the thoughts/views that I'm calling out, a long time ago now, and because of that I feel that I'm more easily able to recognise the dog whistling. I'm worried about what seems to be a significant increase in just outright racist drivel.
Good job. The same thing happened in last year's lockdown. All of a sudden it becomes acceptable to to spew forth deep seeded prejudice in general conversation and in the media. It'll take a long time for Melbourne to recover from the divisions this finger pointing is causing.

On a side note, it's been a bit of a battle but I've begun calling out some of the people who have used this virus to spew some virulent racism.

Whether it's the initial outbreak in Box Hill, the outbreaks in the Western Suburbs or this most recent even in the South East, some people I know (and many more I don't know) are using this as an opportunity to kick whatever ethnic or religious group they think is responsible for it.

The hypocritical thing is that the people I know personally who most quickly resort to racism have themselves been breaking the rules and defying the restrictions.

This pandemic is really bringing out the worst in people. I've been deep in the claws of the thoughts/views that I'm calling out, a long time ago now, and because of that I feel that I'm more easily able to recognise the dog whistling. I'm worried about what seems to be a significant increase in just outright racist drivel.

Yeah I know right. Though I must say what I have seen more then anything is people picking teams. Take for example Ralph Harowitz, not a bad follow but recently he’s been losing me. Look how dismissive he’s been of Tex Walkers comments

Versus

I wonder what his heritage is? Both are disgusting but he plays the Tex thing as over the top.

It’s been a consistent message from NSW and our federal gov, that even if we get up to 80% vaccinated, nothing much will change in relation to restrictions, masks, QR code’s, shutdowns etc as it won’t actually stop the spread. I thought that was the main goal to go back to as normal as we can, but the messaging has changed.

It pisses me off.

My father in law passed away a week ago and the family has not been able to get together to consol each other. Cremation this week and the partners of his 7 kids can't be there despite knowing and loving him for 16 to 24 years. Heaps of other family and friends can't be there.

But these pricks flaunt rules then feign remorse. Get f’ed.
I feel for Any families that have lost love ones with what’s going on with Covid in these times my sympathy’s goes out to those families.
But what I don’t have time for is the Fuc;ing scum and that’s what they are who gloat with what they did especially when some of these people work in the medical industry.
Then what Prestia did was unforgivable I dare say he won’t be back for some time that should apply to any footballers who do the same thing.
I just hope players from our club don’t do this stuff.

It pisses me off.

My father in law passed away a week ago and the family has not been able to get together to consol each other. Cremation this week and the partners of his 7 kids can't be there despite knowing and loving him for 16 to 24 years. Heaps of other family and friends can't be there.

But these pricks flaunt rules then feign remorse. Get f’ed.
That's shitful news.

All the best to your family.

It’s been a consistent message from NSW and our federal gov, that even if we get up to 80% vaccinated, nothing much will change in relation to restrictions, masks, QR code’s, shutdowns etc as it won’t actually stop the spread. I thought that was the main goal to go back to as normal as we can, but the messaging has changed.
so what is the messaging? the last official statement afaik was slomos road back and 3 stages, the whole things just confusing,

personally i dont think your going to supressit ot its mutant variants so you can only manage it like the flu, give people a choice to immunise to increaese their ability to survive it, and thats on the federal governmet to secure the vaccines.

Yeah I know right. Though I must say what I have seen more then anything is people picking teams. Take for example Ralph Harowitz, not a bad follow but recently he’s been losing me. Look how dismissive he’s been of Tex Walkers comments

Versus

I wonder what his heritage is? Both are disgusting but he plays the Tex thing as over the top.

Disgusting - Doreen sacked this morning.

Cops already use them to find weed round here.

I think its interesting about the price thing tho. There is some minor seasonal price change involved but basically no inflation at all cos the government isn't involved.

Really? Hmmm, shame the border's closed!

You could try the Lions Road or if you look there are some tracks thru to Qld between Woodenbong and Killarney out the back of Mt Clunie... seriously tho right now there is a real chance people are walking around Nimbin with COVID so I'd be staying well away from the place.

Cops already use them to find weed round here.

I think its interesting about the price thing tho. There is some minor seasonal price change involved but basically no inflation at all cos the government isn't involved.

maybe if the price of heroin went up so would the price of weed, last time I was up there it looked like quite a number of sellers were using their pot income to support their heroin habit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There will be a period of monitoring the virus with as we will see an uptrend in cases quite quickly when we do open, however if we follow the UK trends and hospitilisations/deaths are relatively low then one would presume we live fairly unrestricted after the initial monitoring period. It's going to be very hard for both State and Fed governments to maintain the "suppression" plan. Eventually the message will change and the testing/case numbers will no longer be all that relevant, it will be about deaths. There is no stopping the spread of the Delta variant, and probably new variants in the future, we are going to cop massive cases of this and most of us in here will come to meet Covid at some stage.

There is no other option than to live with Covid eventually but there will be a period of restrictions whilst the initial "open up" occurs.

Look at Israel. They’re one of the highest vaccinated countries in the world (78% of people 12 and over fully vaccinated, nearly all with Pfizer) are now experiencing a 4th wave.

A grim warning from Israel: Vaccination blunts, but does not defeat Delta
By Meredith WadmanAug. 16, 2021 , 6:55 PM

“Now is a critical time,” Israeli Minister of Health Nitzan Horowitz said as the 56-year-old got a COVID-19 booster shot on 13 August, the day his country became the first nation to offer a third dose of vaccine to people as young as age 50. “We’re in a race against the pandemic.”

His message was meant for his fellow Israelis, but it is a warning to the world. Israel has among the world’s highest levels of vaccination for COVID-19, with 78% of those 12 and older fully vaccinated, the vast majority with the Pfizer vaccine. Yet the country is now logging one of the world’s highest infection rates, with nearly 650 new cases daily per million people. More than half are in fully vaccinated people, underscoring the extraordinary transmissibility of the Delta variant and stoking concerns that the benefits of vaccination ebb over time.

The sheer number of vaccinated Israelis means some breakthrough infections were inevitable, and the unvaccinated are still far more likely to end up in the hospital or die. But Israel’s experience is forcing the booster issue onto the radar for other nations, suggesting as it does that even the best vaccinated countries will face a Delta surge.

it's all doublethink now.

whatever their medical experts think now is what they've always thought, anything else is propaganda from conspiracy theorists.

Disgusting - Doreen sacked this morning.
Be an interesting case study of Doreen V Tex. Both make a horrible racist comment, Tex at his place of work (although not officially working), while Doreen away from work in her own private time.

Tex is suspended from work, ordered to pay a "fine" to the victims and given formal education so he has a better understanding of the hurt he has caused and how he can grow and become a better person. His future media career may when take a hammering but I do know that one media employer is currently standing by him to assist in his learning (as a person) and future grow.

Doreen is fired, with no mention of any counseling or assistance. She will struggle to find employment as a google search of her name will show the comments. There is every chance she doesn't learn from this, becomes bitter towards her victims and just lets her hate grow. I'm not saying she doesn't deserve what's coming, but as a society is this the best way to handle it? Is this going to give us the outcome we want?

it's all doublethink now.

whatever their medical experts think now is what they've always thought, anything else is propaganda from conspiracy theorists.

You really don't think the medical experts have evolved and changed their views over the course of a pandemic from a virus they have never encountered before that is also changing as it goes? Seems incredibly unlikely to me.

Its just about votes. Orthodox Jews in the inner East aren't going to vote for Dan but the Afghans in Casey probably will. Hence one group gets fined and ther other gets no fines and an apology. Both groups broke Coronavirus rules.
Disgraceful take on the two situations.

So you are saying that it is an anti-Semitic trope as they wouldn't vote ALP?

The first happened at the beginning when people were still a bit unsure of what was what.

The first was a group that didn't have the experience or language skills, or cultural reasoning as to why lockdowns are important.

The first required education, which they received and have not done it again.

The second were self entitled rich arseholes who adopted the Andrew "Do what you want" Bolt line of reasoning. And this is despite none of the first group's disadvantages, and with 18 months lived experience.

So, no they are not the same. *ers should all be in gaol.

You could try the Lions Road or if you look there are some tracks thru to Qld between Woodenbong and Killarney out the back of Mt Clunie... seriously tho right now there is a real chance people are walking around Nimbin with COVID so I'd be staying well away from the place.
I'll probably find what I'm after in Woodenbong anyway haha!

You really don't think the medical experts have evolved and changed their views over the course of a pandemic from a virus they have never encountered before that is also changing as it goes? Seems incredibly unlikely to me.
any logical person knows science changes and medical opinions change, but the medical experts and politicians won't acknowledge that it'll change and instead just label and ridicule anyone with a differing opinion to what the opinion is right now. if you say the advice has changed from past advice - conspiracy theorist, if you say the advice will change in the future - misinformation.....have plenty of followers and don't agree with the opinion right now? - blocked and unpersoned.

Yeah.

It hasn't invented or caused anything really.

But it has ripped away the veil, and allowed us to look behind the curtain. Which is pretty ugly to be honest.

I think the anger here is misdirected.
In any society there is a 5% population that are stupid
That's why we have warnings on bleach, Do Not Drink.
Which is near impossible to legislate against.

With unprecedented restrictions on freedom's, that number increases significantly.
It's not that they are stupid , it's most likely completely abnormal to be restricted from taking your children outdoors

My big concern is, Dan thinks he can control the entire population.

He came out in anger and mandated curfews .

The real concerning part, is that there are a lot of you that are intelligent, successful, conforming citizens , that are accepting the party line of total control.

And diverting your anger and frustrations at EG the apprentice teen that lied about having covid to get the week off work.
The mother's going nuts inside the house, and need to go to a local park with their kids and vent with other mothers.

Ok, yea there's justification to be angry at the engagement party.

Community transmission was occuring before that event.

Totally ignoring the fact that Angry Dan has mandated curfews as punishment.

Yea yea , justify it.

But I'm just totally bamboozled that normal people think Zero covid and 100% conformity is a possibility.

Even if in a perfect world everybody had a sense of duty, and conformed to health directives, you still couldn't achieve covid zero.

On Pixel 4 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back